Docking Location

29 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't know for sure either way, but I would guess that it is cheaper for them to use docks that are further away.

Certain docks are reserved for ships that make regular calls. A ship that calls every week is going to have priority over a ship calls once in a while. Also the port authority or harbor master has a say. 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Certain docks are reserved for ships that make regular calls. A ship that calls every week is going to have priority over a ship calls once in a while. Also the port authority or harbor master has a say. 

If it was based on frequency, I would think Royal Caribbean would be using some of the closest docks at popular ports such as St. Thomas and Cozumel.  Their ships go there very frequently, probably as frequently as any other cruise line.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

If it was based on frequency, I would think Royal Caribbean would be using some of the closest docks at popular ports such as St. Thomas and Cozumel.  Their ships go there very frequently, probably as frequently as any other cruise line.

At St. Thomas Royal has a contract for Crown Bay. I think Crown Bay possibly is more suited for larger ships. At Cozumel Royal Caribbean ships, and some other cruise lines have been using the International Pier for years. Carnival Corp ships have been using Puerta Maya. They partnered with Cozumel to build it. It is a farthest from downtown, The leftover ships, smaller ships and ferries call at the downtown dock or they tender. 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

At St. Thomas Royal has a contract for Crown Bay. I think Crown Bay possibly is more suited for larger ships. At Cozumel Royal Caribbean ships, and some other cruise lines have been using the International Pier for years. Carnival Corp ships have been using Puerta Maya. They partnered with Cozumel to build it. It is a farthest from downtown, The leftover ships, smaller ships and ferries call at the downtown dock or they tender. 

The largest NCL ships all use Puerto Langosta in Cozumel, right down town. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The largest NCL ships all use Puerto Langosta in Cozumel, right down town. 

I didn't say large ships could not use that dock. Carnival has partnered with the port at Puerto Maya and Royal Caribbean has a partnership with the port for the International Pier. That does not mean those docks are exclusive. I have seen NCL at the International Pier. 

There are a lot of reasons that ships dock at certain berths at ports. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

So do the Disney ships. 

So what? No one said they didn’t. Your theory about Royal Caribbean is wrong anyway. Some Royal Caribbean ships have docked there too, Disney, NCL, Royal Caribbean ships also dock at the International pier. If you Google you will find that Puerto Langosta can hold two large ships or one large ship and two small ships. The assignments are probably made based on which ships and their size are calling any given day. 

Edited by Charles4515

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So what? No one said they didn’t. Your theory about Royal Caribbean is wrong anyway. Some Royal Caribbean ships have docked there too, Disney, NCL, Royal Caribbean ships also dock at the International pier. If you Google you will find that Puerto Langosta can hold two large ships or one large ship and two small ships. The assignments are probably made based on which ships and their size are calling any given day. 

How do you know this?  Is this just your opinion, or do you have some factual inside information?  I've only been speaking my opinion, but maybe you know something that the rest of us don't know?

Also, I never said that Royal ships ONLY dock at the farther pier, and I never said that Disney ships ONLY dock at the closer pier.

Edited by time4u2go

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have seen NCL at the International Pier. 

NCL does not use the International Pier. They use Punta Longosta or tender to town. Companies that "got a good/cheap deal" (... sorry I mean "partner") use the International Pier. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not use the International Pier. They use Punta Longosta or tender to town. Companies that "got a good/cheap deal" (... sorry I mean "partner") use the International Pier. 

Usually they use Punta Langosta but they have docked at the International Pier. Usually Royal Caribbean docks at the International Pier but RC has docked at Punta Langosta.