Ship Libraries - going, going, soon gone!

cellfree

On 11/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

The last few cruises my wife and I have tried to enjoy the libraries, where available, but often have found them "closed for a private event" ("Friends of..." or Chef's Table) more often than not.

On a different cruise line, I found that most of the "closed for private events" in the library were strategy meetings by the art auction personnel.  

If the library on your ship is gone and you are looking for an out-of-the-way area, you could look at the Fun Times and find the venue where the Friends of Bill W. hold their meetings.  They try to hold those in a place where there is some privacy.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:15 PM, teknoge3k said:

I know some people enjoy the libraries but honestly, it's becoming an antiquated space. Most people use their phone or a Kindle or other tablet device to read. It's much easier to download 100 books on your device to read. I bet it's been 30 years since I've been into a library on land, yet alone a ship. 

I agree. It reminds me of people who complained when Toys R Us went away, but they never shopped there. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw someone read a book in there. Who wants to go on a cruise to read in an isolated room? (I'm sure I'm going to hear who, but it's no significant number). I've seen more people play games in there than anything else. I've also seen people play games all over the ship. There are still plenty of spots to enjoy a game at. 

While it is all just my opinion, I always thought that space would be best suited for a "nice wine bar." People would eat up wine tasting events. A wine bar done right (add in some charcuterie) would be a fantastic addition to Carnival. 

• Like 1