Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

Just  checked that website - CORRECTED: Red Sea attacks prompt Silversea to more itineraries: Travel Weekly

CORRECTION: An earlier report posted to this page incorrectly stated that Silversea canceled five new voyages due to attacks on shipping vessels in the Red Sea. 

The line has canceled one voyage on the Silver Moon, its Jan. 16 cruise from Muscat, Oman, to Dubai.

It has flagged four others as still scheduled, although the line is monitoring the situation and will communicate any changes to its guests.

The Silver Moon's current itinerary has been altered, and it is currently doing a roundtrip cruise from Aqaba, Jordan. Its original schedule had that cruise ending in Muscat before continuing on to Dubai.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wyocruiser said:

Gypsyjennifer1 - I know so many of us have appreciated your updates from the Silver Moon! Have you been given any update on the ship’s plans for the rest of the month?  Thank you!!

🙏 I spoke to Captain on the dock yesterday n he said he does not know where ship will go after Aqaba. Doing long excursion to Giza today. 

• Thanks 2

I am  taking the Silver Spirit Grand Voyage on January 29  to March 29,  that  includes the March 13 Dubai to Athens segment.  I  am  expecting  that  again Silver Seas will make the  decision  at  the  last minute if that last segment will be  cancelled. Silversea  stands  to  lose a  lot  of  money if they cancel  the  cruise, and  then  the  situation  improves in  the Red Sea. So  that is  why they wait until  the  last minute before cancelling. Personally,  I  would prefer  that they  cancel  the segment  rather  than  adding  sea days  or  replacing  the Middle East ports  by Greek islands  ports, like they did  on  an  earlier Silver  Moon cruise.  The  reason  why  I  booked this  Grand Voyage  was  because  it  included the  Arabian  peninsula  and  Egypt  So  I  will  be  very disappointed  if they  cancel  that segment. Financially, i  will  be OK,  since  I  booked Door  to  Door Service,  so  Silversea  is  on the  hook  for  getting  me  home  from  wherever I  end up.   While  onboard  the Silver  Spirit,  I  will  post on the Silver Spirit  board  whenever  I   hear any news  concerning the  likelihood of the March 13 cruise getting cancelled.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LcruiCruise1963 said:

Hopefully Silver Seas will let know customers know in a timely manner this time. We were scheduled on Jan 16th not very much notice not the best with communication being a six star line.

That is crazy that u have not heard your 16 Jan won’t depart from muscat 

2 minutes ago, wyocruiser said:

Gypsyjennifer1– Thank you! Travel safe!!!

Silversea is doing a great job booking passengers on flights etc. passengers are not happy about change of itinerary but staff are really being great with a lending ear for frustrated passengers and doing their best to rebook passengers on flights etc Btw did the long long Giza trip. Now need to change my Luxor excursion as 13 hours is just too much. 

Just a little update for those who WERE due to sail on 160124 - 260124 Muscat to Dubai Cruise.  

Having submitted proof of our visa purchases for Oman & Saudi Arabia & fees for pre-booked airline seats - SS (UK) have agreed (without issue) to reimburse me with those costs.  

However - people need to contact Guest Relations for this aspect of reimbursement - as opposed to the refund of the cruise cost - which is a separate matter & will be dealt with by a different department I suspect.

If anyone requires contact numbers for guest relations in the UK - please let me know.  I sent the initial email to guestrelationsuk@silversea.com and got a very quick response

Have not received any communication from SS about time scales for the refund of the cruise package - which for us included the flights, hotel, transfers & cruise.

Hope this might be useful to some....

Glad that SS may be getting their act together and treating passengers well? We had till 12:8 to decide on the 1/6 trip on the Moon the choice was cancel with credit( not refund)  for the $28k we paid or go or forfeit . No consideration for air visas etc 

Letters at the door this morning that the ship is now headed to Athens.

I guess once you’ve decided that the ship can’t go through the Gulf of Aden, no need to “waste” time in the Red Sea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

Letters at the door this morning that the ship is now headed to Athens.

I guess once you’ve decided that the ship can’t go through the Gulf of Aden, no need to “waste” time in the Red Sea.

Yes crazy. Great waking up to this letter this morning. Arrive Athens on 16th 

IMG_9909.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Now we can all play guessing games on how many of the Moon's cruises will be cancelled.

NOT just the Moon. I am taking the Silver Spirit Grand Voyage from Capetown to Athens on January 29, and I am guessing that that Cruise will end 14 days early in Dubai instead on continuing around the Arabian peninsula and through the Red Sea.  I bet they won't make a decision until a few days before we reach Dubai.

4 minutes ago, bucketsrose said:

NOT just the Moon. I am taking the Silver Spirit Grand Voyage from Capetown to Athens on January 29, and I am guessing that that Cruise will end 14 days early in Dubai instead on continuing around the Arabian peninsula and through the Red Sea.  I bet they won't make a decision until a few days before we reach Dubai.

Me too. I really would prefer it if they would give us enough time to make alternative arrangements when disembarking there. But like you said, they will probably let us guessing until the last minute.

• Like 1

CruiseMapper shows Silver Moon waiting for Suez clearance and then six cruise ships hunkered down in Dubai, wondering what to do next . . .  Now, you won't believe this, but I have a friend who is due to take a 'holiday' in Yemen from 22 January and at the moment his tour company says it's still on.  They are entering Yemen overland through Oman.  

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 06.43.07.png

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grand Duchess said:

Me too. I really would prefer it if they would give us enough time to make alternative arrangements when disembarking there. But like you said, they will probably let us guessing until the last minute.

For me it is Ok, since I had booked the flight through Silversea and was not planning on staying on in Greece after the cruise. So it just means going home early. silversea would be responsible for booking new flights. But what I would really not want is for them to change the itinerary. On an earlier Silver Moon cruise, they replaced the Egypt and Aqaba ports by Greek and Turkish ports. Since I have already been to both Greece and Türkiye, that would be more disappointing to me than it would be to cancel the cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

CruiseMapper shows Silver Moon waiting for Suez clearance and then six cruise ships hunkered down in Dubai, wondering what to do next . . .  Now, you won't believe this, but I have a friend who is due to take a 'holiday' in Yemen from 22 January and at the moment his tour company says it's still on.  They are entering Yemen overland through Oman.  

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 06.43.07.png

Yes we are going to anchor now till tomorrow morning when we will transit Suez Canal n head to Athens 

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the letter.  It is very helpful as we are on the January 26th sailing and guessing now it will be canceled or have a much different itinerary.   Hopefully they will let us know in a more timely manner than Jan 16th we were on. We would like to make alternate plans.  Safe Travels 

• Like 1