LEAVE YOUR CBD HOME ....

Capt_BJ

Just now, Charles4515 said:

So you only do them at sea? Not docked at a port? 

Yes, I have self control unlike some of my fellow cruisers. 

If you've never done gummies, not the CBD kind, there's nothing more amazing then stretching out on a chair and letting the ocean breeze flow over you...

45 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Except, for the umpteenth time, alcohol isn't illegal in the ports, but CBD is illegal in some ports.  It doesn't matter what you think, it doesn't matter what the USG says about the legality of zero/low THC gummies.  What matters is the ports.

They don't want you bringing on alcohol because that impacts their revenue.

CBD impacts your ability to return to the ship after being arrested in a port, and may impact Carnival's ability to return to that port if deemed not enforcing enough.

Public drinking in many places, including Mexico, is illegal. Being inebriated can impact your ability to return to the ship.

Law enforcement is not Carnival's job. Interfering with law enforcement could cost Carnival plenty.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, john91498 said:

If you've never done gummies, not the CBD kind, there's nothing more amazing then stretching out on a chair and letting the ocean breeze flow over you...

I have never used them. At some ports the authorities come through with dogs. Even if you are don’t take drugs off the ship they consider you to be in their country as you are in their waters. The drugs could be your cabin safe. That happens all the time in Bermuda, they come on the dog sniff something, the safe is opened, there are some type of drugs, and then the passenger is on the way to a magistrate to be fined. I have seen the dog coming through on some of my Bermuda sailings. In their newspaper the Royal Gazette they often publish the details when someone is caught including the passengers name. Other ports do it too. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Sneaking on gummies is no worse then sneaking on alcohol. It's a fun little game...

For decades, I did rum runners and was caught once. Carnival laughed at me and took the booze away, but let me cruise. Since we get DOU, I no longer need to sneak on booze.

Now, for about 6 or 7 years, I've been taking gummies and so far not been caught. Might rethink as it seems carnival is cracking down.

This is a really bad idea. Sneaking on alcohol violates Carnival's rules and will most likely be confiscated. Sneaking on gummies violates maritime and customs laws and can lead to arrest, fines, and being banned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Only one (1) CBD product is approved by the FDA which leaves about a billion+ that are not.

Correct, and 100% irrelevant. Lack of FDA approval neither makes something illegal, nor banned.

About 99% of the vitamins on the shelf at your local grocery aren't FDA approved. They're still legal. They aren't banned.

Probiotics, minerals, echinacea, ginger, caffeine, glutamine, tryptophan, Omega3, turmeric, melatonin, CoQ10... not FDA approved. 100% legal, 100% not banned.

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This is a really bad idea. Sneaking on alcohol violates Carnival's rules and will most likely be confiscated. Sneaking on gummies violates maritime and customs laws and can lead to arrest, fines, and being banned. 

Operative word being "can". I actually witnessed a guy being taken away at embark and saw him the next day on the lido deck. Out of curiosity, I asked him what happened and he said they found his weed. They took it way and said have a nice cruise.

In this case, there has to be more to it as it's just CBD. The woman being banned was probably just a ragging karen to get banned.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Operative word being "can". I actually witnessed a guy being taken away at embark and saw him the next day on the lido deck. Out of curiosity, I asked him what happened and he said they found his weed. They took it way and said have a nice cruise.

In this case, there has to be more to it as it's just CBD. The woman being banned was probably just a ragging karen to get banned.

You are being extremely lackadaisical about what is possibly a serious legal issue. The best case scenario if the cruise line finds it and confiscates it. The worst case scenario is for another country to board the ship with a dog or for it be caught in customs re-entering the US.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Correct, and 100% irrelevant. Lack of FDA approval neither makes something illegal, nor banned.

About 99% of the vitamins on the shelf at your local grocery aren't FDA approved. They're still legal. They aren't banned.

Probiotics, minerals, echinacea, ginger, caffeine, glutamine, tryptophan, Omega3, turmeric, melatonin, CoQ10... not FDA approved. 100% legal, 100% not banned.

FDA approval means you are getting what you think you are. Unregulated supplements might contain anything.

Irrelevant is your claim that CBD is legal per the Federal Government. So what? It is not legal in all 50 states.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

You are being extremely lackadaisical about what is possibly a serious legal issue. The best case scenario if the cruise line finds it and confiscates it. The worst case scenario is for another country to board the ship with a dog or for it be caught in customs re-entering the US.

Again, "possibly" and I use all my gummies by the end of the cruise. It's all about planning.

And I have no faith in the dogs. The dogs are not even feds or state, they sniffed my bag on the last cruise and found nothing. Although, I was a little stressed they'd find the gummies. 

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

FDA approval means you are getting what you think you are. Unregulated supplements might contain anything.

Irrelevant is your claim that CBD is legal per the Federal Government. So what? It is not legal in all 50 states.

"FDA approval means you are getting what you think you are."

No, it doesn't.
Between 2013 and 2018 pharmaceutical companies recalled about ~8,000 medicines from FDA approved factories for contamination and/or dosage issues - including 65 drug-making facilities that  recalled products within 12 months of passing a FDA inspection.

" It is not legal in all 50 states."

False. It is fully legal or conditionally legal in all 50 states and Washington DC.

8 hours ago, aborgman said:

I'm not a pothead. Don't use it, never have. I'm not a CBD user. Don't use it, never have. Don't care at all if Carnival bans it. Don't care if Carnival bans tobacco smoking (my preference would be a tobacco ban also).

Oh, ok. Then I was correct initially. You are here just to enforce pedantry and argue about something you don't even care about.

Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

"FDA approval means you are getting what you think you are."

No, it doesn't.
Between 2013 and 2018 pharmaceutical companies recalled about ~8,000 medicines from FDA approved factories for contamination and/or dosage issues - including 65 drug-making facilities that  recalled products within 12 months of passing a FDA inspection.

" It is not legal in all 50 states."

False. It is fully legal or conditionally legal in all 50 states and Washington DC.

How many drug dealers recalled their product for contamination? ZERO (0).

CBD is not legal in all 50 states. FACT.

You yourself have admitted that Carnival can ban anything they want, for any reason or no reason at all, as long as it isn't a protected class. The reality is all of your hair splitting, cherry picking arguments are irrelevant. There is nothing to debate.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

How many drug dealers recalled their product for contamination? ZERO (0).

CBD is not legal in all 50 states. FACT.

You yourself have admitted that Carnival can ban anything they want, for any reason or no reason at all, as long as it isn't a protected class. The reality is all of your hair splitting, cherry picking arguments are irrelevant. There is nothing to debate.

"How many drug dealers recalled their product for contamination? ZERO (0)."

A lot more than zero. Hundreds of privately owned and publicly traded drug dealers like Pfizer, Novartis, Bayer, Hospira, Vistafarm, Marlex, Novis, etc., etc. recalled 8,000 different drugs over a 5 year period.

"CBD is not legal in all 50 states. FACT."

Not a fact.

It is 100% legal with no restrictions in 16 states and the District of Columbia.

It is conditionally legal in the other 34 states.

Here is a list of state by legality from September 2023:

https://www.forbes.com/health/cbd/cbd-legalization-by-state/

" The reality is all of your hair splitting, cherry picking arguments are irrelevant."

They are irrelevant as to whether Carnival bans them.

They are completely relevant to the use of logic, use of false pretenses, etc.

"There is nothing to debate."

Of course there is - the underlying law (both in the US and internationally) and what it really bans, Carnival's stated motivations vs. actual motivations, the effect of US drug law on international drug law, issues of territoriality related to ships docked in foreign ports...and probably hundreds of other things.

The intersection of sovereign law, international law, the "law of the seas", worldwide drug prohibition driven by the USA, foreign flagged cruise ships, smuggling/importation... all of this is a super interesting, and sometimes contradictory to the point of mutual exclusion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, alex_gregor said:

You are here just to enforce pedantry and argue about something you don't even care about.

I do care about accuracy, the use of science, logical consistency, honesty, and avoiding logical fallacies - no matter the subject.

...and I do care about sovereign and international law, and how they apply to banned substances being smuggled/imported into countries where they are banned.

See - you can have an interest in the commerce, history, and law surrounding alcohol - even if you don't drink alcohol.

17 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I do care about accuracy, the use of science, logical consistency, honesty, and avoiding logical fallacies - no matter the subject.

...and I do care about sovereign and international law, and how they apply to banned substances being smuggled/imported into countries where they are banned.

See - you can have an interest in the commerce, history, and law surrounding alcohol - even if you don't drink alcohol.

Have fun!

27 minutes ago, aborgman said:

If you cared about accuracy, you wouldn't make misleading statements. Enjoy discussing amongst yourself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aborgman said:

I'm confused as to why someone would repeatedly read a thread they didn't want to read, only to complain about how they didn't want to read it.

It seems like it would be much easier to just not read what you don't want to read.

Well I certainly was not trying to confuse you.  Did I say I did not want to read anything?   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, john91498 said:

Uh huh.  Good to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1