Thermal Suite Gratuities????

LEMJMcC

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Other than Voom, RCI charges grats on just about everything, regardless if there's any human interaction for the service (like drinks at Bionic bar).

Well that certainly makes my mind up; this is utterly ridiculous.  Gratuities certainly are getting way out of hand and not just on cruise ships...

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

So educate me, what about a Thermal Suite pass would require a 20% gratuity (aka service fee)?  Do they do anything to or for you?  Isn't it just a steam sauna that you sit in?  What am I missing?

Thanks.

Your on Quantum coming up next? Is that where you are thinking about?   I've loved the thermal suites on the Radiance class, it included heated form fitting seats with a window view, steam room, dry sauna, a eucalyptus room and cold water refreshements and plenty of towels.  They also limited the number of people they sell it to for less crowds (This was Jewel in 2013 and 2018)  My experience on the Oasis class was it wasn't quite as nice and very crowded.  Haven't done the quantum class yet.  

Every time you check in at the spa reception desk to use the thermal suite, you will get (or be offered) shower shoes and a robe. Or at least that's how it used to be on Oasis/Allure. But mostly it's another cash grab. Imagine what the gratuities will be if you'd ever have to use the lifeboats!

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Every time you check in at the spa reception desk to use the thermal suite, you will get (or be offered) shower shoes and a robe. Or at least that's how it used to be on Oasis/Allure. But mostly it's another cash grab. Imagine what the gratuities will be if you'd ever have to use the lifeboats!

You have to give them your seapass card in exchange for a locker key. That's the sum total of service. The towels are stocked and you help yourself. I've never been offered a robe or shower shoes (Radiance class thermal suite). No one comes by to see if you need a drink of water or whatever might be called service. I consider it no different than using the fitness equipment in the gym. There's no gratuity there. As I understand it the spa workers are not Royal employees but I could be wrong about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Revisiting this thread.

Does access to a Thermal Suite require a reserved time slot, or is it basically you show up and if there's room you go in?  I guess it's unlimited use for the duration of the cruise, correct?

My wife is interested in purchasing this for us (much to my chagrin), but hey, it's her money this time, not mine, so who am I to protest, right?

Anyway, just wondering about accessibility/availability...

Thanks.

10 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Revisiting this thread.

Does access to a Thermal Suite require a reserved time slot, or is it basically you show up and if there's room you go in?  I guess it's unlimited use for the duration of the cruise, correct?

My wife is interested in purchasing this for us (much to my chagrin), but hey, it's her money this time, not mine, so who am I to protest, right?

Anyway, just wondering about accessibility/availability...

Thanks.

Once you sign up for the thermal spa, you go whenever you want to. Within the hours it's open. You don't need to make a reservation.

12 hours ago, Foodluvr said:I have never done the thermal spa before.  I’m going on Icon next August.  I was required to sign up for a time for the first day of the cruise.  I was wondering about this same thing.  Will I need to reserve a time every day or just be able to go within hours.  As Icon isn’t sailing yet I’m just listening to these responses and it seems things vary by ship and class.  

Sorry about previous post.   
I wanted to say:    I have never done the thermal spa before but decided to do it for my Icon cruise next August.  I had to sign up for a time for the first day.  I was wondering about this exact issue. Will I be required to sign up for a time each day or go within the hours open?  Could I go multiple times a day?   What exactly does the thermal spa include.  It seems things vary from ship to ship and which class of ship you’re on.  I will have to wait to see what people post once the ship starts sailing but am curious to hear more from this thread.

Barbara

On 12/16/2023 at 8:13 AM, prekteacher said:

Sorry about previous post.   
I wanted to say:    I have never done the thermal spa before but decided to do it for my Icon cruise next August.  I had to sign up for a time for the first day.  I was wondering about this exact issue. Will I be required to sign up for a time each day or go within the hours open?  Could I go multiple times a day?   What exactly does the thermal spa include.  It seems things vary from ship to ship and which class of ship you’re on.  I will have to wait to see what people post once the ship starts sailing but am curious to hear more from this thread.

Barbara

You do not have to stick to the signup time--this may just be for recordkeeping purposes when booking online. You can definitely go multiple times a day. We always did. Not sure exactly how Icon will look, but generally, the Royal thermal suites have heated loungers, a sauna, steam room, and aromatherapy room, and specialty showers with effects like rain shower, waterfall, thunderstorm, mist, etc.