Drinking While in Port

charliedalrymple

DH and I sometimes don't go ashore at a particular port, or come back rather early (by lunchtime).  We are having a disagreement about whether alcohol can be consumed on board Princess ships while in port, specifically in Australia and New Zealand.  (We have the Plus Package on our upcoming cruise to New Zealand.)

I won't say which side I'm on, but I'm sure I'm right and DH is wrong.  Can anyone tell me what the policy is?

Hours of operation will vary for the Bars that serve alcohol while in port, but when they are open, alcohol is available to be ordered and consumed.

There are some ports that require Princess to collect a ‘tax’ while in port, but not for Oz or NZ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some ports around the world where alcohol cannot be served not only in port but within territorial waters, but again I do not believe that Oz and NZ fall into that category - mainly strict Muslim countries.

There are also other exceptions such as when a non US ship enters the US for the first time then no alcohol can be served whilst immigration is taking place.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

DH and I sometimes don't go ashore at a particular port, or come back rather early (by lunchtime).  We are having a disagreement about whether alcohol can be consumed on board Princess ships while in port, specifically in Australia and New Zealand.  (We have the Plus Package on our upcoming cruise to New Zealand.)

I won't say which side I'm on, but I'm sure I'm right and DH is wrong.  Can anyone tell me what the policy is?

Curious--who was right?😉

Many passengers like to go ashore and do their port-time drinking while ashore -- cheaper drink prices (for those without a drink package), different ambience at the port's drinking establishments, whatever.  But I have never seen the ship's bars closed because the ship is in port.  (I've never cruised to a Muslim country.)  I have seen additional taxes imposed on drinks whilst in port.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike45LC said:

Many passengers like to go ashore and do their port-time drinking while ashore -- cheaper drink prices (for those without a drink package), different ambience at the port's drinking establishments, whatever.  But I have never seen the ship's bars closed because the ship is in port.  (I've never cruised to a Muslim country.)  I have seen additional taxes imposed on drinks whilst in port.

Not closed but whenever we port in Victoria only one bar per deck is allowed to be open. On Alaskan cruises where that is your last port and you are there late it makes for some very crowded venues 

• Like 1