Live B2B2B2B From the Carnival Magic 11/26-12/22

jam19872016

They used to have sauces you could add to your fries. Aioli, Siracha, something else maybe honey mustard. Those I guess have gone the way of the custom omelet. These were fresh out of the oven fries and they tasted like hot nothing. If you are going to eliminate the sauces, you could at least throw some seasoning on the fries. These were bland enough that ketchup could not save them. Tomato flavored hot nothing.

The Rueben was good. Was it worth standing in line for 21 minutes? Nope. The late night lines are so much better than they used to be so I won't harp on it too much. Very thankful the pizza line moves quicker than it used to, and the late night buffet is an extra choice that helps from 11:30-1. But at 10:45 you are kind of stuck.  

Packing it in for the evening as there isn't much going on. It's Latin music in Ocean Plaza or I could go to the nightclub for....Latin music. Wow. The entertainment planning on this trip has been poorly thought out.

One more port stop, Costa Maya. I will admit I have never explored this port at all beyond the port area so I am not really sure if there is even anything to explore within walking distance, but I will check it out tomorrow. Unless it is raining, it is absolutely pouring right now, so who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Good night for now see everyone in the morning.

• Like 10

No win on trivia. 

Breakfast was really good this morning especially since I'm not a big Breakfast person. The two guys making burritos were cranking out tiny baby burritos (which in literal Spanish already means little donkey) but a different guy came out and made mine and he loaded me up.

The sausages were good and actually sausages not hot dogs.

The benedict was perfect. I didn't know it was possible to get such a good benedict from the buffet. Very good.

Buffet also will not customize an omelet.

Blue iguana will not make you fresh eggs to order. Not sure if that is policy or this ship but a lady asked and was told they don't do that.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Peek a boo… I see you… from deck 18 of Seashore

IMG_1042.jpeg

Doesn't look all that nasty out. From what I remember though, not much to walk to out of the port, unless you really want to walk a ways. 

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of experience with aft cabins because of the tendency for vibrations. I've either been very lucky until now, or very unlucky this trip.

I did not notice any vibrations last week deck 1 Starboard side. There was some in the floor that caused my scale to malfunction but nothing noticeable in everyday use.

This week on port side it is the worse I have ever experienced. The noise in my room every morning is unlike anything I've ever experienced and I once had a room right over the anchor with two tender ports.

I have a hard time describing it. Think of an unbalanced washing machine. Now imagine five to ten unbalanced washing machines in a row, in a small room trapped in an echo chamber. 

Cozumel this went on for about an hour and I went back asleep.

Yesterday in Belize it was maybe two or three washing machines which surprised me because we were anchored, I did not know we needed to use thrusters while at anchor. It was less intense, but it was persistent and made it difficult to sleep.

Today it's running non stop since about 7am after I could not fall asleep until after 330. To say I am dragging would be an understatement. As I'm typing this the thrusters turned off, and already back on before I finish typing this sentence, it's been doing that constantly. 

A consistent noise level might help as it may become background noise, but the noise is staying at about 5 or 6 washing machines with the occasional power down and right back up.

Here are our thrusters engaged to keep us tied to the dock.

20231214_104459.thumb.jpg.7afaab55b001976275a83bab034410ca.jpg

I know canceling the port would have impacted more people, but I wish that is what would have happened. It's windy, waves are spilling over the pier and I don't imagine anyone looking at an outside excursion is having a good experience today.

The other two ships in port do not appear to be using thrusters to keep them tied to the pier.

I'm also not sure it is normal to be experiencing this level of vibrations and suspect Magic is operating on only one good set of thrusters. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Peek a boo… I see you… from deck 18 of Seashore

IMG_1027.jpeg

IMG_1030.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

Hello over there 👋 

44 minutes ago, chryso said:

Deck 18?  I didn't know they went that high.

I think they include crew decks in the count and skip 17 for superstition but it is indeed still a very tall ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VictorWI said:

Doesn't look all that nasty out. From what I remember though, not much to walk to out of the port, unless you really want to walk a ways. 

So far the rain seems to be holding out, just very windy but my memory is also there is not anything nearby, although I admit I didn't look very hard. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I don't have a lot of experience with aft cabins because of the tendency for vibrations. I've either been very lucky until now, or very unlucky this trip.

I did not notice any vibrations last week deck 1 Starboard side. There was some in the floor that caused my scale to malfunction but nothing noticeable in everyday use.

This week on port side it is the worse I have ever experienced. The noise in my room every morning is unlike anything I've ever experienced and I once had a room right over the anchor with two tender ports.

I have a hard time describing it. Think of an unbalanced washing machine. Now imagine five to ten unbalanced washing machines in a row, in a small room trapped in an echo chamber. 

Cozumel this went on for about an hour and I went back asleep.

Yesterday in Belize it was maybe two or three washing machines which surprised me because we were anchored, I did not know we needed to use thrusters while at anchor. It was less intense, but it was persistent and made it difficult to sleep.

Today it's running non stop since about 7am after I could not fall asleep until after 330. To say I am dragging would be an understatement. As I'm typing this the thrusters turned off, and already back on before I finish typing this sentence, it's been doing that constantly. 

A consistent noise level might help as it may become background noise, but the noise is staying at about 5 or 6 washing machines with the occasional power down and right back up.

Here are our thrusters engaged to keep us tied to the dock.

20231214_104459.thumb.jpg.7afaab55b001976275a83bab034410ca.jpg

I know canceling the port would have impacted more people, but I wish that is what would have happened. It's windy, waves are spilling over the pier and I don't imagine anyone looking at an outside excursion is having a good experience today.

The other two ships in port do not appear to be using thrusters to keep them tied to the pier.

I'm also not sure it is normal to be experiencing this level of vibrations and suspect Magic is operating on only one good set of thrusters. 

Can you get them to move you? A cabin that can’t guarantee sleep is ludicrous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pe4all said:

Just to let you know - I have put on 5 lbs. just looking at your food pics.  Can't wait for my Magic cruise next month to try some of the foods pictured.

Weird, according to many reviews here and on other social media, "all" the food on "all" Carnival cruises is "inedible" and only "fools" could possibly consume "any" meals thereon.  Due to endless "cutbacks" the food is now universally accepted to be "terrible."

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Weird, according to many reviews here and on other social media, "all" the food on "all" Carnival cruises is "inedible" and only "fools" could possibly consume "any" meals thereon.  Due to endless "cutbacks" the food is now universally accepted to be "terrible."

If you look at the Cunard reviews, some (not all) people have been saying the same thing for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

No win on trivia. 

Breakfast was really good this morning especially since I'm not a big Breakfast person. The two guys making burritos were cranking out tiny baby burritos (which in literal Spanish already means little donkey) but a different guy came out and made mine and he loaded me up.

The sausages were good and actually sausages not hot dogs.

The benedict was perfect. I didn't know it was possible to get such a good benedict from the buffet. Very good.

Buffet also will not customize an omelet.

Blue iguana will not make you fresh eggs to order. Not sure if that is policy or this ship but a lady asked and was told they don't do that.

Wait...no made to order omelette stations anymore? That is a big change.

• Like 1

I walked into port and the wind was some to my back. I don’t think we are using thrusters because the wind is pushing us against the dock. But Magic has the wind pushing her away from the dock. 
Guest cabins on Seashore start on deck 5. There is also a deck 19.  I95 and the medical center on deck 4. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

If you look at the Cunard reviews, some (not all) people have been saying the same thing for years.

Agreed, I think it's every single cruise line. Unless it's Baked Alaska and filet and lobster, and plenty of both, and perfectly cooked, and perfect temperature, and by a server who does, or does not, as you prefer, sing the Macarena with perfect pitch, and lightning fast service that also does not feel rushed, with fellow guests dressed in the same manner as yourself, in a dining room that is decorated correctly, with linen table cloths, and water glasses refilled timely, then it's all gone to heckles in a handbasket and it's time for the far superior travel opportunity provided by (select your non-cruise alternative that is now right not only for you, but for everyone else here in the discussion on Cruise Critic), for example, the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour. I mean, that bus looked sweet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Agreed, I think it's every single cruise line. Unless it's Baked Alaska and filet and lobster, and plenty of both, and perfectly cooked, and perfect temperature, and by a server who does, or does not, as you prefer, sing the Macarena with perfect pitch, and lightning fast service that also does not feel rushed, with fellow guests dressed in the same manner as yourself, in a dining room that is decorated correctly, with linen table cloths, and water glasses refilled timely, then it's all gone to heckles in a handbasket and it's time for the far superior travel opportunity provided by (select your non-cruise alternative that is now right not only for you, but for everyone else here in the discussion on Cruise Critic), for example, the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour. I mean, that bus looked sweet.

You forgot the salt and pepper shakers matching.

• Haha 5

Can you get them to move you? A cabin that can’t guarantee sleep is ludicrous.

Carmival ships are typically 100% booked up 😞. If the thrusters aren't on and running all day it's momentarily annoying and then back to sleep.

Best they would probably offer me is a drink voucher MAYBE some on board credit if I complained loud enough neither of which I need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Food has been very good over all.  Been very happy with it despite some things not being as good as they were on Freedom or things not being offered or offered in a different way.

It's not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but with the budget they are working with and amount of people being served, the food has more than exceeded my expectations and the new dinner menus are a hit!

Now anyone who complains of the food On Cunard is nuts. The salt and pepper situation is something they should be ashamed of, but the food itself was sublime 😋 

Edited by jam19872016
  • Like 7