Carnival Rental Umbrellas at HMC

audcc77

On 11/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, audcc77 said:

Since the cabanas are ridiculously priced now, I went ahead and rented an umbrella for $35.  The umbrella supposedly is good for two people.  

I am wondering if it does in fact work for two people.

Has anybody had experience with this?   Unless this umbrella is pretty large, I don’t see it.

thanks.

We were there earlier this year and umbrellas seemed quite large. You did have to anchor them your selves. Didn't like that there wasn't much shade or signage in this port. No maps of where to go when go off the ship so just wandered. Food not the best.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LPut714 said:

We were there earlier this year and umbrellas seemed quite large. You did have to anchor them your selves. Didn't like that there wasn't much shade or signage in this port. No maps of where to go when go off the ship so just wandered. Food not the best.

Where do you go to get these umbrellas?

i’m assuming you get some kind of ticket and it indicates where on that?

14 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Where do you go to get these umbrellas?

i’m assuming you get some kind of ticket and it indicates where on that?

When you exit the tender drop off area-walk along the edge of the beach. Some large rocks so water shoes advised. About half way down you will see all the umbrellas-I believe they were red.  Like I said being given a map prior to arrival would have helped. Didn't see anyone handing anything out in the port area. T

On 11/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, audcc77 said:

Since the cabanas are ridiculously priced now, I went ahead and rented an umbrella for $35.  The umbrella supposedly is good for two people.  

I am wondering if it does in fact work for two people.

Has anybody had experience with this?   Unless this umbrella is pretty large, I don’t see it.

thanks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

The nickle and diming is getting crazy.  On our last trip to Amber Cove we went to an area with umbrellas and were told it's like $80 for two chairs and an umbrella.  Most of the chairs on the outside perimeter do not have umbrellas.

If they can get $80 for two chairs and an umbrella while still charging me rock bottom prices for my cruise fare, I am all for it.

Just now, vadersprincess12 said:

Truthfully, I'd rather see them raise the fare $5.00 - $10.00 per person and just stop nickel and diming.

They make way more money than $5 - $10 per person on the extra charges.  If they did that and then umbrellas were free, there wouldn't be enough of them for everyone who would want one, and then there would be threads griping about that.

At least this way people are paying for what they really want and not paying for the things they don't.

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

They make way more money than $5 - $10 per person on the extra charges.  If they did that and then umbrellas were free, there wouldn't be enough of them for everyone who would want one, and then there would be threads griping about that.

At least this way people are paying for what they really want and not paying for the things they don't.

$5.00 extra per 4,000 passengers is $20,000.  Renting 50 umbrellas at $80 for a port call is only $4,000.  I do see your point about the griping, although it seems there is a lot of griping about everything these days.  Ex ~ sailing on Disney, if you want to do a special event like a Princess Tea you have to book it in advance and it's first come, first serve, but people always complain if they don't book in time.  Unfortunately it's the world we live in these days.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, LPut714 said:

Didn't like that there wasn't much shade or signage in this port. No maps of where to go when go off the ship so just wandered. Food not the best.

Has the Information Center and large map at the entrance been removed?

Have the "You are here" large maps that are permanently mounted along the walk ways throughout the island been removed?

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Has the Information Center and large map at the entrance been removed?

Have the "You are here" large maps that are permanently mounted along the walk ways throughout the island been removed?

The did still have the big map-but being that we had never been there before it would have been nice to have something hand help to find certain areas as we walked. There really wasn't signage off the main path telling you what was there. I am sure like many similar areas it is a work in progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t rent the beach umbrellas that are under the excursions!  We just did that on our November cruise. You have to drag a heavy bag that holds the  umbrella a small shovel and a plastic “pouch” that you have to fill with sand. There is no point at the end of the umbrella pole. It is a lot of work and then at the end of the day you have to pack it up and bring it back to excursion hut. Horrible!

12 hours ago, DanWin said:

Don’t rent the beach umbrellas that are under the excursions!  We just did that on our November cruise. You have to drag a heavy bag that holds the  umbrella a small shovel and a plastic “pouch” that you have to fill with sand. There is no point at the end of the umbrella pole. It is a lot of work and then at the end of the day you have to pack it up and bring it back to excursion hut. Horrible!

do you have any pictures?  how heavy was it?

On 1/3/2024 at 9:22 AM, tonyhb12 said:

do you have any pictures?  how heavy was it?

Sorry no pictures of it. They were not real heavy. Just not fun carrying the bag with all the stuff. trying to fiil the sack with sand in the heat then having to empty the sack and bring it back to the excursion hut.