"Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones" not allowed > new iPhones have satellite

nudistcruzer

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Any justification for not allowing “satellite phones” I think would also apply to any device that can send messages and locations through a satellite. 

Ah, there are the key words: "I think".  Fortunately, you are not the NCL Security Department (or whatever department determines banned items).  NCL says no satellite phones and their reasons for banning really don't matter and are not up for extension by passengers who think something else is similar enough that it should be banned.

4 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Well, if you have an iPhone 14 you have a phone that can transmit to satellites whether you want it or not. How can a knife in a checked baggage, in the hold of an aircraft harm anybody? All right, so we’re going to ban all steak from all cruise ships because nobody’s allowed to use a sharp knife anymore. Scissors also are not allowed in checked luggage on Brightline.

What is your point?  iPhones are not satellite phones and having tangentially similar capabilities does not make them satellite phones according to the NCL folks who determine what is on the banned list.  

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

However, large, especially older, transformers may contain hazardous chemicals such as PCBs.

Unless you are bringing a telephone pole transformer, there are no PCB's in transformers, no matter how old.  Transformers are banned due to the heat they can generate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

One potential reason is someone is going on a backcountry trip before or after the cruise. They don’t actually need it during the cruise so it could be handed over to the naughty room probably as long as it’s off. This is something I’ll be looking at since I am planning to cruise, hike, cruise, hike, cruise as a big trip to Australia and New Zealand hopefully in 2026.

OK...that makes sense.  As you say, let security keep them until disembarkation.

Still, Android and iPhones are not prohibited on NCL.  I've sailed over a dozen times on NCL with both an Android and iPhones and devices, as well as a MacBook Air and iPad.  NEVER...EVER had any issues with bringing them and using them on board.  

So, why the OP thinks s/he can't is totally unfounded...or as my late Mother would say...."much ado about nothing"!

To anyone reading this thread who is not familiar with NCL policies....this sort of red flag waving does not even remotely reflect NCL policies.  

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BRING YOUR IPHONE and/or YOUR ANDROID PHONE on board.  You can use it while sailing.  Just to be clear.....

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OK...that makes sense.  As you say, let security keep them until disembarkation.

Still, Android and iPhones are not prohibited on NCL.  I've sailed over a dozen times on NCL with both an Android and iPhones and devices, as well as a MacBook Air and iPad.  NEVER...EVER had any issues with bringing them and using them on board.  

So, why the OP thinks s/he can't is totally unfounded...or as my late Mother would say...."much ado about nothing"!

To anyone reading this thread who is not familiar with NCL policies....this sort of red flag waving does not even remotely reflect NCL policies.  

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BRING YOUR IPHONE and/or YOUR ANDROID PHONE on board.  You can use it while sailing.  Just to be clear.....

100% agree it’s probably someone who is paranoid and doesn’t understand the whys behind why they shouldn’t be carrying the listed devices. Most people have no experience with those devices.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, nudistcruzer said:

The full list does also have transformers listed, item 26 right after satellite phones. I would’ve called any phone charger a transformer. I am sure they are not talking about these and I am not sure what they are talking about. However, large, especially older, transformers may contain hazardous chemicals such as PCBs.

My bad I did a CTRL F and somehow it did not work?

On 12/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, PATRLR said:

Ah, there are the key words: "I think".  Fortunately, you are not the NCL Security Department (or whatever department determines banned items).  NCL says no satellite phones and their reasons for banning really don't matter and are not up for extension by passengers who think something else is similar enough that it should be banned.

What is your point?  iPhones are not satellite phones and having tangentially similar capabilities does not make them satellite phones according to the NCL folks who determine what is on the banned list.  

I've been told that the reasons have to do with the satellite equipment on the ship. If your iPhone uses the same satellite companies and satellites as a satellite phone, why wouldn't they ban those as well. I know of course they never could. But certainly newer iPhones sold in the U.S. are banned in many countries.  

On 12/1/2023 at 4:28 AM, nudistcruzer said:

Certainly iPhones with the Satellite capability are forbidden in China, India and Cuba.

Where is your citation for these statements you are making?  I'd like to review *all* of the source material, please.  *Specifically* in regards to the new iPhones?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Where is your citation for these statements you are making?  I'd like to review *all* of the source material, please.  *Specifically* in regards to the new iPhones?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

4. Satellite connectivity isn't offered on iPhone models purchased in Armenia, Belarus, China mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

I assume Apple does not sell iPhones in Cuba anyway.  All of these countries ban any device, software that they cannot monitor easily. There is no right to privacy and anyone attempting privacy can generally be imprisoned.   

https://www.gard.no/web/updates/content/26690148/ban-on-use-of-satellite-phones-in-india-6-years-on-and-violations-still-occur

"The unauthorized use of satellite phones in Indian waters is punishable with a fine and/or imprisonment up to three years." 

Please if you want to test if a texting device, that communicates directly with satellite, is also prohibited in these countries please do so and please report back. Any device or software capable of private transmissions are prohibited in all the above mentioned countries. 

https://www.phonearena.com/news/apple-iphone-13-illegal-40-percent-world-population-satellite-connectivity_id134667

The above article was premature is so far as the features discussed weren't included until the iPhone 14 in 2022.

Since Globalstar's satellites generally cannot be reached in the places where connecting is illegal, Apple may have found a way around the problem.

Here is an article that says that Satellite phones are great on cruise ships:

https://luxurytraveldiva.com/can-you-use-a-satellite-phone-on-a-cruise-ship/

"Satellite phones are a great way to stay connected while on a cruise ship."

So my question is, since NCL and other cruise lines ban devices that can use a "Globalstar®" satellite to transmit voice, why would they not also ban devices, such as an iPhone 14(sold in the U.S.), that can transmit text to a "Globalstar®" satellite.

Edited by nudistcruzer

OP....you keep stating the same thing over and over and we keep giving you reality.  No Android or iPhone is prohibited from being brought on board.  They are not banned where NCL sails. Period....end of story!  I don't know how much clearer any of us can make it.  Nor, do I understand why you keep belaboring a moot point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OP....you keep stating the same thing over and over and we keep giving you reality.  No Android or iPhone is prohibited from being brought on board.  They are not banned where NCL sails. Period....end of story!  I don't know how much clearer any of us can make it.  Nor, do I understand why you keep belaboring a moot point.

As far as I know, no one at NCL even knows that new iPhones have satellite capability. Before my cruise last week I happened to look at the prohibited list. I was surprised to see that satellite phones were banned. Before this, I had read that satellite phones were recommended on cruise ships. Since I knew that the newer iPhones had satellite capability built in, I was surprised that this issue hadn't been brought up.  Also, since emergency beacons are banned and since the iPhones had similar SOS satellite functions built in it made me wonder the nature of the ban; since iPhones now can automatically, all the time, albeit encrypted and hidden from Apple, send your location to people you have authorized, via the "Find My" app, (via Globalstar satellites). My friends would be able to see where I am at sea, automatically, if the feature is enabled, even when not on a cell or wifi network.  It seems that anything that is banned anywhere is banned on cruise ships, regardless of where that particular cruise is going. One exception is camouflage. Camouflage is banned in many countries and as far as I know not banned on cruise ships. It is strongly suggested though not to bring things like even a camouflage backpack. Because you can be arrested for displaying a camouflage backpack on many Caribbean islands.

• "On iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Pro models, with iOS 16.1 or later, you can use the Find My app 3a70920a688fdb59764df9f649ccd752.png to share your location via satellite when you’re outside cellular and Wi-Fi coverage."

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You keep repeating the same stuff over and over as well and you continue to belabor a moot point in the same way. Clearly you are saying not all satellite transmitting devices are banned, just the exact ones mentioned. So a device that has a phone number that sends and receives texts via satellites would be allowed as long as the device, that uses the same satellites as a satellite phone, has no voice capability. (I'm talking about a device like the "Spot X" I posted in a previous post. Sounds like you are saying that a "Spot X" satellite texting device is not prohibited based on the fact there is no specific mention.)  Transformers on the other hand are on the banned list, although every phone charger has a small transformer. Clearly, they are not talking about these.

(In a cell phone's charger, "a small transformer steps the voltage down to a low-voltage high-frequency AC" and "A rectifier converts this to low-voltage DC.")

Edited by nudistcruzer

5 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

(In a cell phone's charger, "a small transformer steps the voltage down to a low-voltage high-frequency AC" and "A rectifier converts this to low-voltage DC.")

A cell phone charger uses SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) rather than a transformer to step down voltage.  Instead of a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core, it uses semiconductors to switch on and off to drop the voltage (this is what "steps the voltage down to a low-voltage high-frequency AC, not a "transformer").  A transformer cannot change the frequency of current.  This form of power supply is about 96% efficient, while conventional transformers waste energy in the form of heat, If you used a conventional transformer to step power from 220v to 5v, it would get very warm, if not hot, to the touch (and this is why transformers, but not SMPS units like cell phone chargers, "wall wart" USB ports, or multi-USB ports are not).

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:23 PM, nudistcruzer said:

Does this mean that anyone with a newer iPhone could potentially have it confiscated?

No.

As a matter of fact, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is considering a rulemaking that would allow satellite to/from cell phone service in spectrum bands traditionally reserved for licensed terrestrial use (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and the like) using standard off teh shelf cell phones.  They call it Supplemental Coverage from Space or SCS.  I know many of you want to read the tedious details, so here is a link.  FCC-23-22A1.pdf

Here is the introduction as a teaser:

"In this item, we take a global leadership role in facilitating the integration of satellite and terrestrial networks by proposing a new regulatory framework for Supplemental Coverage from Space (SCS). Through this novel approach, satellite operators collaborating with terrestrial service providers would be able to obtain Commission authorization to operate space stations on currently licensed, flexible-use spectrum allocated to terrestrial services, thus expanding coverage to the terrestrial licensee’s subscribers, especially in remote, unserved, and underserved areas. This framework could enable innovation and investment in nascent satellite and terrestrial interoperable technologies and cross-industry stakeholder partnerships to flourish in the United States, and play a key role towards fulfilling other Commission goals in the public interest. These goals include facilitating ubiquitous wireless coverage across the nation; expanding the availability of emergency communications to consumers and the geographic range of first responders to provide emergency services; and promoting competition in the provision of wireless services to consumers, among others." 

11 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

As far as I know, no one at NCL even knows that new iPhones have satellite capability.

I would put down a large bet that you are wrong in thinking no one at NCL knows about it.  I suspect many of them own such phones and perhaps even use the satellite capability. I bet NCL employees carry such phones on NCL ships.

6 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

I would put down a large bet that you are wrong in thinking no one at NCL knows about it.  I suspect many of them own such phones and perhaps even use the satellite capability. I bet NCL employees carry such phones on NCL ships.

I bet there are people, that have even read this thread, that have an iPhone 14 or later and had no idea their phone had a satellite capability such as the ability to always transmit ones location to friends and family even when they don't have a cell connection.  I think there are many people that don't know of many of the capabilities of their iPhone and/or Apple Watch. 

1 hour ago, nudistcruzer said:

I bet there are people, that have even read this thread, that have an iPhone 14 or later and had no idea their phone had a satellite capability

I bet those people are not making NCL's rules on satellite phones so that is not important.

My car uses a satellite, but it is not a satellite car.  My phone uses a satellite but is not a satellite phone.

13 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

I bet those people are not making NCL's rules on satellite phones so that is not important.

My car uses a satellite, but it is not a satellite car.  My phone uses a satellite but is not a satellite phone.

Your car can transmit its location or other information to a satellite? What kind of car does that, mine doesn't. Technically, your phone is a cell phone, wifi phone and a satellite transmitting/receiving device, (among many other things) if you have an iPhone 14 or later; you can call it anything you want, but that's what it is... 

Edited by nudistcruzer

19 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

Your car can transmit its location or other information to a satellite?  What kind of car does that, mine doesn't. Technically, your phone is a cell phone, wifi phone and a satellite transmitting/receiving device, (among many other things) if you have an iPhone 14 or later; you can call it anything you want, but that's what it is...

No - I did not say that.  My car receives Global Positioning Satellite signals and uses them to compute its location.

Continuing this discussion is pointless.

Bottom line:  NCL does not ban cell phones that can also transmit to and receive from satellites.

Just now, itsnotjustme said:

No - I did not say that.  My car receives Global Positioning Satellite signals and uses them to compute its location.

Continuing this discussion is pointless.

Bottom line:  NCL does not ban cell phones that can also transmit to and receive from satellites.

No satellite receiving device has been banned, such as a GPS device, only those that can transmit.

It is not specifically mentioned but nor are many devices that can also transmit to satellites. If we take every banned item literally, you cannot bring your Cell Phone charger either, since they do contain small transformers. It begs the question why is another device, a "satellite phone" banned when satellite texting devices, (other than iPhones), are allowed, by virtue of the fact they are not mentioned.

1 minute ago, nudistcruzer said:

since they do contain small transformers.

No, they do not.  Not sure how many times I can say this.  Not sure where you got this information.  No charger, for anything, whether cell phone, camera, laptop, whatever, built in the last 20+ years has had a "transformer", but a SMPS power supply.  Have you taken a cell phone charger apart, to find a transformer?  Do you work with electronics or power supplies?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1