Price of Cigarettes?

Bill B

Yes, I know I should quit. However, I'm not going to and I've booked a cruise out of Singapore where you can't bring even ONE cigarette into the country without paying duty and tax. 

Can anyone tell me the current (or recent) onboard price of a pack of cigarettes on a HAL ship sailing out of Singapore? Thanks!

On a recent cruise in the US, they had a buy 3, get one free deal and they were $55 a carton. I do not know if that price is the same world wide. I don't know if they sell them by the pack. I only saw cartons but I am not a smoker and just saw the deal on a large sign in the shop.

Edited by dfrohman

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t know the price per pack but DH buys the carton deal - 4 cartons for $150. 

At $3.75/pack that's not too bad (I live in Vietnam where I pay 47 cents/pack).

Excise duty on bringing cigarettes into Singapore is (from Singapore Customs website):

Duties payable = Total number of sticks x Weight of individual sticks (every gramme or part thereof) x Excise duty rate

Company A imports 100 sticks of cigarettes weighing 1.5 grammes each. Assuming the excise duty for cigarettes is 49.1 cents for every gramme or part thereof of each stick:

Since the weight of each cigarette is between 1 and 2 grammes, the weight to be taken to calculate the duties payable is 2 grammes.Hence, duties payable = 100 x 2 x S$0.491 = S$98.20 

That's S$196.40/carton (200 sticks), or almost S$1.00/cigarette, Crazy!

Fines (and/or 3-6 months prison if more than 2kg) for being a 'drug smuggler' are harsh!

Thanks to those who replied.

Edited by Bill B

Cool! I'll be camped out at the Seaview Bar (Sunview could be hazardous to my vision😉) for 28 days on the Noordam.

Edited by Bill B
Deleted a comment that could be construed as 'smoking discussion'.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, Bill B said:

At $3.75/pack that's not too bad (I live in Vietnam where I pay 47 cents/pack).

Excise duty on bringing cigarettes into Singapore is (from Singapore Customs website):

Duties payable = Total number of sticks x Weight of individual sticks (every gramme or part thereof) x Excise duty rate

Company A imports 100 sticks of cigarettes weighing 1.5 grammes each. Assuming the excise duty for cigarettes is 49.1 cents for every gramme or part thereof of each stick:

Since the weight of each cigarette is between 1 and 2 grammes, the weight to be taken to calculate the duties payable is 2 grammes.Hence, duties payable = 100 x 2 x S$0.491 = S$98.20 

That's S$196.40/carton (200 sticks), or almost S$1.00/cigarette, Crazy!

Fines (and/or 3-6 months prison if more than 2kg) for being a 'drug smuggler' are harsh!

Thanks to those who replied.

It looks like your copy and paste is for company importers, here is the info for travellers bringing some in for personal use: 

For travellers bringing in tobacco products for personal consumption (at checkpoints)

From 1 July 2020, travellers bringing in tobacco products* at the checkpoints must ensure that:

a) Total weight of all the tobacco products* imported does not exceed 400 g;

b) The tobacco products* are for personal use only, and not for sale or supply in Singapore; and

c) The retail packing of the tobacco products* must:

i) Have no tobacco-related logo or branding;

ii) Have a graphic health warning; and

iii) Be drab brown in colour.

So you can bring in some to tide you over if it's under 400grams, but the packaging must comply. I'm Australian and Australian cigarette packaging would comply. But cigarettes are insanely expensive here, so I'd only bring a couple with me anyway and buy some there!

Edited by Tigerlily75
  • Like 1

While individuals can bring in up to 400g of tobacco products (if packaged correctly), there is NO duty-free concession on cigarettes and tobacco products in Singapore.

Excise duty is 49.1 cents per gram or part thereof.

From personal experience:

I'll add to my above post that while there is no duty free concession on bringing cigarettes into Singapore, if one has an open pack with at least 1 cigarette missing, they waive the duty i.e. can't be bothered to fill out the paperwork to collect $18.66 on 19 cigarettes. However, that's discretionary and you mat not get away with it. If you don't want to pay (who would?) you can always abandon the cigarettes so long as you declared them.