Cabin door decorations? And is there a search option on these boards?

splinkaone

Hi, it’s been awhile since we last cruised. Wondering if we can still decorate our cabin door? 
We have nice personalized magnetic decorations (sailing NCL Bliss). Also wondering if there’s a way to search the boards without looking at every post.

thanks!

It's my understanding that NCL has banned door decorations; I don't recall any on a recent Epic cruise.  Read the fine print on NCL's website as it pertains to your ship.  I can see them being lax about it over the holidays, tho.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, splinkaone said:

... Also wondering if there’s a way to search the boards without looking at every post...

Hello @splinkaone

IIRC for tablets, phones & iPads, they need to be held in landscape orientation to see the Search feature.

If using a laptop or desktop, the Search oval is located in the upper right below your user name. Be sure you have used the correct location in the drop-down menu for your search. Here is a clip of my choices:

image.thumb.png.30c85fe58d86fd9b30e826a369c8f630.png

And sometimes you need to enter multiple words surrounded by quotation marks - like, "Miami hotels" - you will get different results than if you entered just the two words. This is because quotation marks are used for phrase searching. That way your results will just be posts containing the phrase "Miami hotels" and not ALL the posts containing the word Miami as well as ALL the posts containing the word hotels.

Also, I know you know what you are looking for... but sometimes I try to think in the way someone else would have posted the information. Then use word phrases with quotation marks as mentioned above. 

And when you see the list of results, the first thing I do is to change the SORT BY from Relevancy to Date so the newer results will be at the top of the list. Here is another clip.

image.png.e5cddaa482460a2c3bd82b16d63520e0.png

Hope this will be helpful!

Host Kat

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, splinkaone said:

Hi, it’s been awhile since we last cruised. Wondering if we can still decorate our cabin door? 
We have nice personalized magnetic decorations (sailing NCL Bliss).

Allowed decorations on the door varies from cruise line to cruise line. Some restrict the type of decorations, some restrict what can be used to attach decorations to the door. I suggest going through NCL's online FAQs for guidance on this subject, or maybe even give their customer service line a call. Magnets SHOULD be OK, but I still think it's worth checking.

P.S. One of the charter cruises I have been on encourages cabin door decorations to the point of having a contest with prizes for the best ones. Just about anything goes with them.

11 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I am sorry, and no offence, but I don't understand why anyone would do this?

Can someone explain why you would do this?

Again - no offence, I just don't get it.

A short list coming from someone who's not a big decorator:

* It's easier to find a cabin door that's decorated

* It can be fun to decorate

* It's a fun way to announce or celebrate an important occasion

* As I mentioned in my earlier post, sometimes there are prizes on the line

I look forward to hearing about what I missed.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Fair enough.  Thank you for this.  I also look forward to other comments and additions to this.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I agree with you ... but just because we don't find it understandable doesn't mean that lots of pax think it's great fun.  I must admit that some door decor is so lame it makes me feel sorry for the occupants.  But the point is that people ENJOY doing it, nothing else.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I'm with you - no offence to those who do so but its just not for us.  Do those who do so also decorate their hotel doors at land based resorts?  Not being snarky - genuinely curious.

But in all sincerity, to each their own.  We used to cruise with a couple that always did it but we never understood why - other than they just liked to do it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

14 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Fair enough.  Thank you for this.  I also look forward to other comments and additions to this.

We have never decorated our cabin door. But, when I pass by one, it generally will bring a smile.  

• Like 3

The last time I was on a cruise line other than Viking Ocean or Viking River was at least 15 years or more ago.  I don't remember this being a thing then?  Perhaps the line I was sailint it was not popular, or this is a newer thing?  Perhaps I turned a blind eye?

On Viking Ocean and Viking River which we total now more than 10 cruises, I have never seen anyone decorate a cabin door.  My comment - thank goodness.

I cannot imagine packing this kind of stuff to take on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The last time I was on a cruise line other than Viking Ocean or Viking River was at least 15 years or more ago.  I don't remember this being a thing then?  Perhaps the line I was sailint it was not popular, or this is a newer thing?  Perhaps I turned a blind eye?

On Viking Ocean and Viking River which we total now more than 10 cruises, I have never seen anyone decorate a cabin door.  My comment - thank goodness.

I cannot imagine packing this kind of stuff to take on a cruise ship.

This explains a lot.  Thanks for sharing.  I can't imagine the typical Viking cruiser would want to bother with decorating their cabin door.  It's more of a mainstream cruise line or charter cruise, younger person/family group thing to do this.  But to answer a question that was asked upthread, I have seen door decorations at resorts and regular hotel rooms.  Not as many as on cruise ships, but that's partly because the people in hotels are more transient and less of a united group.

3 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This explains a lot.  Thanks for sharing.  I can't imagine the typical Viking cruiser would want to bother with decorating their cabin door.  It's more of a mainstream cruise line or charter cruise, younger person/family group thing to do this.  But to answer a question that was asked upthread, I have seen door decorations at resorts and regular hotel rooms.  Not as many as on cruise ships, but that's partly because the people in hotels are more transient and less of a united group.

Is this a family and kid thing too?  Viking is absent of anyone under 18 and tends to be a much older crowd, however now we are seeing much more 40's 50's and in general a wider audience.

We love Viking, and want to try other lines, and although this might be an amusement walking down the corridor, I will still rely on knowing my cabin number to find my cabin.

6 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Is this a family and kid thing too? 

I'd say that door decorating is more popular among families with children than the general population. I've heard that it's even more popular on Disney than other mainstream lines, partly because there are so many children and their surrounding families on board.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'd say that door decorating is more popular among families with children than the general population. I've heard that it's even more popular on Disney than other mainstream lines, partly because there are so many children and their surrounding families on board.

Ok... that makes sense

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Don't disagree, but over the years I have also seen many specific - and elaborate - birthday announcements, anniversary cruise, family cruise themes, honeymoon decoration, etc., on RCCL that were definitely not young children themed.  More so years ago than recently, but still there nonetheless. It's just an interesting phenomenon to me that seems mostly unique to cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

People decorate for holidays and special events (like birthdays) all the time.  Seems odd an explanation is needed.   

No offence intended... but where you feel it seems odd and explanation is needed, I feel that it is odd that anyone would want to or even consider doing it.  But then I cruise on a line that no one does this... so it is not part of my cruise experience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

No offence intended... but where you feel it seems odd and explanation is needed, I feel that it is odd that anyone would want to or even consider doing it.  But then I cruise on a line that no one does this... so it is not part of my cruise experience.

Because people have different preferences and interests and like to have different experiences.  And that's a good thing.  The world would be extremely boring if everyone were the same.  One of the best things about cruises is that there's something for everyone and there's at least one cruise line out there to fit everyone. 

I don't drink alcohol so that's not part of my cruise experience.  I've never acquired the taste for it and I have zero interest in it.  But it would never occur to me to wonder why others are enjoying it.  Drink up!  People have different tastes and their tastes are not inherently better nor worse than mine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

Because people have different preferences and interests and like to have different experiences.  And that's a good thing. 

People have different tastes and their tastes are not inherently better nor worse than mine. 

Agree completely.  But it seems as though decorating doors is mainly unique to the cruise industry and as previously mentioned I just wonder the reasoning for that.  I have traveled extensively on business and have vacationed at resorts and AI's in my past and have not seen that elsewhere.  I just find it an interesting practice and wonder what motivates it on cruise ships.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

None taken.  Might not be done on your cruise line of choice, but if you have been around these forums for long, you would recognize this is not an uncommon thing.   People enjoy different things, have different preferences, different tastes, celebrate in different ways, different hobbies, etc, etc, etc.   To me, decorating the cabin door is very simply a fun thing some folks do.      

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

None taken.  Might not be done on your cruise line of choice, but if you have been around these forums for long, you would recognize this is not an uncommon thing.   People enjoy different things, have different preferences, different tastes, celebrate in different ways, different hobbies, etc, etc, etc.   To me, decorating the cabin door is very simply a fun thing some folks do.      

Cruise Critic is an amazing forum where I have learned so much over the few years that I have been active.

This is another learning moment brought to me by CC.  

I get all these posts about each person is different and different things appeal to different people, but at the same time, wanted to understand why, and there have been so many good responses to my questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Cruise Critic is an amazing forum where I have learned so much over the few years that I have been active.

This is another learning moment brought to me by CC.  

I get all these posts about each person is different and different things appeal to different people, but at the same time, wanted to understand why, and there have been so many good responses to my questions.

Thanks.  I understand and agree.   I enjoy music a lot.  Dancing not so much, especially the formal ballroom dancing.  I just don't get it sometimes!  😀