Do kids need to have an ID card?

jerick

I’m working on checking in our family and it looks like all of the document choices that include a birth certificate also require some kind of ID card. I have a 9 year old who doesn’t have an ID card. Does he need to have one in addition to the birth certificate?

9 minutes ago, jerick said:

I’m working on checking in our family and it looks like all of the document choices that include a birth certificate also require some kind of ID card. I have a 9 year old who doesn’t have an ID card. Does he need to have one in addition to the birth certificate?

Passengers 16 and up need a government issued picture ID.  Your 9 yr old does not need one.

It’s clearly spelled out that only kids 16 or older need IDs. Birth certificate is all you need for a 9 year old. I have two 15 year olds who have never sailed with anything more than the birth certificate. You are good to go

Edited by TheDawg79

• 2 weeks later...

My main question is how do you check in with only a birth certificate? The check in process doesn’t have that as an option. It seems to require either a passport or a birth certificate with some additional ID. Can you just leave it blank?

Although this probably isn't your situation, if any of the minors have a different parent than those on the cruise, there is other paperwork which must be completed and signed off by the non-sailing parent.

I took my grandson this summer without parents and needed to have additional paperwork. Some of it they advised to by notarized. Didn't have any issues, but it's an extra step if there are non traveling parents.

It may depend on which cruise line you are on and which countries you are visiting. I took my grandson to Alaska and had to have the form from the cruise line as well as a separate letter for Canada. And, at the airports they asked him to answer a couple of questions and when I started to answer they gave me "a look" and said he had to answer. Trying to avoid human trafficing into Canada I guess. I think it was the Canada portion that advised the notarized letter, but did not require. I got the notarized letter to cover my bases - but I'm a grandma, not a parent.

What I would say is to avoid any issues, check what the cruise line requires and any ports. I've also heard of grandparents traveling with kids and never having to show any of the paperwork, but better safe than sorry.