Papua New Guinea - Snorkelling

Hi all, I am on the Princess cruise to Papua New Guinea in December and we have booked into the Tawali Snorkelling Tour. It says it is strenuous activity. Has anyone been on it? I don't see how snorkelling can be strenuous, though I do note I am uncoordinated. Will this be an issue.

Also any tips for Kiriwana Island and Conflict Island would be welcome. What should we take with us to donate and where should we donate? We are also stopping at Rabaul and Alotau. 

The best snorkeling I have done was on Conflict Islands however there is a charge to transport you from the beach to the snorkeling platform which includes use of snorkeling equipment if you don't have your own.

As for being strenuous this may have something to do with insurance as swimming may be looked on as being a strenuous activity. Or, the snorkeling may be in a tide affected area which could involve more exersion than just floating about.

As for donating materials (I presume for school use), I suggest donate cash in Kina as there may be things local schools need that aren't on a visitor's radar. Cash other than Kina can be  difficult and costly for locals to change.

• Like 1

If you want to donate this (such as school supplies), I suggest Kiriwina would benefit more from any donation rather than the Conflict Islands. Kiriwina has a local village (with a small school) but Conflict Island is a business owned by an Australian man. People living there are probably cared for reasonably well.

• Like 1

You can donate school supplies at Kiriwina and Alotau, if your shore excursion goes to Matupit Island. Best thing is writing and drawing paper, pencils and coloured pencils. not ball point pens. Books are good if the subject matter is not pitched at urban white children. Look for books about the natural world in simple English.

Conflict Islands are privately owned, and run as a resort. Beautiful place, but not a typical PNG village. Note that all transactions on the island are by credit card only. You can't  spend your remaining Kina there.

• Like 3

Years ago we gave some children some colouring books and pencils, after checking with their mother first.  About30 mins later we were sitting on the beach when this very fierce looking man approached us.  He was the kids father and gave us a bunch of bananas and thanked  us again.  Such a special time on all the islands we visited and Alotau and Rabaul. There were not many cruise ships visiting then and people were super friendly and lovely.

Edited by Gwendy
Spelling error
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The best snorkeling I have done was on Conflict Islands however there is a charge to transport you from the beach to the snorkeling platform which includes use of snorkeling equipment if you don't have your own.

As for being strenuous this may have something to do with insurance as swimming may be looked on as being a strenuous activity. Or, the snorkeling may be in a tide affected area which could involve more exersion than just floating about.

As for donating materials (I presume for school use), I suggest donate cash in Kina as there may be things local schools need that aren't on a visitor's radar. Cash other than Kina can be  difficult and costly for locals to change.

WE have booked in for a snorkelling time there. I think it is a 2 hour time frame. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The various cruiselines and island groups have been trying to put red tape on any donations of school supplies etc. We used to take stuff but stopped when the donation had to be registered.

I went to PNG a year ago on and donated books and pencils to schools at Rabaul, Alotau and Kiriwina. Nobody said anything about "registering" a donation. My small gifts were obviously acceptable. At one school, the boys sang a song for me, which was lovely.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Sorry, don't understand. What red tape? Why?

I have heard that some countries (example Vanuatu) want to charge import duty on goods brought in. I suppose if you take a bag of items and hand them over personally to someone ashore, the officials wouldn't know about it.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have heard that some countries (example Vanuatu) want to charge import duty on goods brought in. I suppose if you take a bag of items and hand them over personally to someone ashore, the officials wouldn't know about it.

Mystery Island had customs officials the last few times.

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Sorry, don't understand. What red tape? Why?

I don't think this currently applies to PNG so much, but is prevalent in Vanuatu and to a degree in Fiji. Like our borders, they like an element of control and the days of blind trust are disappearing.

What do your books say? Do the local officials trust what they say? 

Can someone take your donated goods and sell them for profit? That kind of stuff.

Friends used to donate supplies and equipment to the hospital in Vila. What used to be gratefully accepted became harder & harder to get through the customs building at the port. It seemed like local officials wanted a cut. That sort of red tape.

I donated our leftover kina at our last island last time we were there.

• Like 1

I don't think my children's picture books and pencils would be regarded as subversive, but I guess someone might see an opportunity to make some money by reselling them. I went particularly to the schools and approached a teacher to hand them over.

The only thing security was searching for on exiting the ship was food.

On Kiriwina, they were very glad to have a cruise ship visit after the long closure due to covid. Selling their beautiful wood carvings and baskets direct to visitors is much better than selling through a middleman who takes a big cut.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, Emoliash said:

I don't see how snorkelling can be strenuous, though I do note I am uncoordinated. Will this be an issue.

There has been recently several deaths while snorkelling . Have a buddy with you .