Cruise booked with FCC and Travel Protection

cactusrose

I booked a cruise last year for March of next year.  Princess automatically used my FCC to pay for the whole thing.  The actual final payment date isn't for a couple of weeks.  Now I want to add Princess Travel Protection and was told that I couldn't because I've already made the final payment.  Has anyone else run into this?  I guess this post is a cautionary one.  Regardless of the actual final payment date if you pay it off early, you can't add travel protection later.

I found this verbage:

Princess Vacation Protection is available for purchase up to the final payment due date of the voyage, even if your booking is already paid in full. So protect your investment with Princess Vacation Protection or Princess Platinum Vacation Protection!  

I would try calling back. I have heard it both ways - it would be worth calling and asking to speak to a supervisor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'd say you got some bad info from wherever you were asking.  (Sadly, that seems to happen a LOT these days!)  @Coral has posted the pertinent blurb.

That is why I am glad I have a dedicated CVP to handle these things rather than rely on so called customer service 

• Like 2

Just one caveat to add:  Depending on the source of the FCC, it may not be insurable.  If the credit was granted to you by the cruiseline ( vs you purchasing the credit) that ‘value’ is not paid by you and therefore not insurable.  They might let you purchase the insurance, but you won’t have coverage for the ’value’ of the cost.

If you are only looking for the medical portion and not cancellation/interruption coverage; get a third party plan with $1 cruise cost, but beware the look back period.

30 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

Just one caveat to add:  Depending on the source of the FCC, it may not be insurable.  If the credit was granted to you by the cruiseline ( vs you purchasing the credit) that ‘value’ is not paid by you and therefore not insurable.  They might let you purchase the insurance, but you won’t have coverage for the ’value’ of the cost.

If you are only looking for the medical portion and not cancellation/interruption coverage; get a third party plan with $1 cruise cost, but beware the look back period.

While I am not aware of all versions of FCC, when Princess had a lot of FCC due to COVID, they started insuring FCC the same way as regular money so you would pay insurance on the cost of the cruise, not just on what people paid outside of the FCC.

I agree about 3rd party insurance. You may want to look at Geo Blue for medical coverage on the trip.

Edited by Coral