Live from Norwegian Breakaway (Western Caribbean) - December 17-24, 2023

HoosierShipmate

5 minutes ago, IamPEBJ said:

@HoosierShipmate Have you noticed any difference in the crowd density between the normal pool area and Spice H2O?

@IamPEBJ I honestly don’t think I’ve even looked at Spice during the day.  Pool has been crowded when not at port but we have had four chairs together anytime we wanted them with little searching. We usually are on 16 above the pool not poolside. I’ll wander back to Spice this afternoon if it gets sunnier and as people get back on board.  Will get you pics.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoosierShipmate said:

HahahHa I ordered over medium which is always a coin flip as to what they’ll bring at almost any restaurant I visit.  

Those are over hard.  Dog-food.

After a few visits, one learns what over medium is or over easy.  I always start with over easy till I learn what to expect at a restaurant.  You can't uncook an egg.

• Haha 1

That comment makes the perfect segway to dinner choices! We are going to TRY to get in at La Cucina but currently it’s walk up and beg availability so we likely will end up in the MDR.  This is the menu, I’m trusting you all to pick my meal.  I reserve the right to ignore your suggestions 🙂

Don’t let me down, let me know what you’d order if it was your night in the MDR!  Suggestions due by 6:30PM whatever time zone I’m in today which I’m never confident about.

IMG_0447.thumb.jpeg.ee604d7a60df9e9c913b1a68261c633e.jpeg

Edited by HoosierShipmate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierShipmate said:

That comment makes the perfect segway to dinner choices! We are going to TRY to get in at La Cucina but currently it’s walk up and beg availability so we likely will end up in the MDR.  This is the menu, I’m trusting you all to pick my meal.  I reserve the right to ignore your suggestions 🙂

Don’t let me down, let me know what you’d order if it was your night in the MDR!  Suggestions due by 6:30PM whatever time zone I’m in today which I’m never confident about.

IMG_0447.thumb.jpeg.ee604d7a60df9e9c913b1a68261c633e.jpeg

Oooooo this is fun!!! Whenever my next live is, I may just incorporate this into it. Unfortunately I always look at the menu and decide at that moment whether I'm going to the main dining room or not.

For me, I'd order the following yumminess:

Coconut shrimp x2

Caesar Salad 

Chicken and Seafood Paella - and I hope it would be good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierShipmate said:

HahahHa I ordered over medium which is always a coin flip as to what they’ll bring at almost any restaurant I visit.  

My over easy eggs were over medium/hard every single morning back in November! I probably should have ordered sunny side up. Maybe then they would ooze yummy baby chicken juices. When I ordered poached eggs on my eggs benedict I'd have one runny and one hard. Oh well! An egg's an egg, right? 

image.png.9c97bb2741a90de4095f5070b08af69d.png

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

My over easy eggs were over medium/hard every single morning back in November! I probably should have ordered sunny side up. Maybe then they would ooze yummy baby chicken juices. When I ordered poached eggs on my eggs benedict I'd have one runny and one hard. Oh well! An egg's an egg, right? 

Not necessarily.  I won't eat over-medium or over-hard nor hard boiled.  I really don't care for egg yoke unless I can mush it up with the white.  Scrambled is fine.    I won't eat anything remotely resembling an Egg McMuffin.  If I'm dining out, the yoke must be soft and runny or it's going back.  If I'm at home, it goes into the dogs bowl.  The 'boys' aren't as picky about their eggs as I.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not necessarily.  I won't eat over-medium or over-hard nor hard boiled.  I really don't care for egg yoke unless I can mush it up with the white.  Scrambled is fine.    I won't eat anything remotely resembling an Egg McMuffin.  If I'm dining out, the yoke must be soft and runny or it's going back.  If I'm at home, it goes into the dogs bowl.  The 'boys' aren't as picky about their eggs as I.

I must say I laugh at the popularity of Carnival's broken egg sandwich. Like, what's the point if you can't get a soft, runny yolk! When at home my dogs get some eggs too. They're happy for any, and all eggs. 

When I'm out, I just don't like wasting the food so I usually, and within reason, take what I am given. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I must say I laugh at the popularity of Carnival's broken egg sandwich. Like, what's the point if you can't get a soft, runny yolk! When at home my dogs get some eggs too. They're happy for any, and all eggs. 

When I'm out, I just don't like wasting the food so I usually, and within reason, take what I am given. 

Hard cooked egg yokes are not within reason.

Liver is never within reason.

Green peppers are not within reason.  Other colors are OK.

Brocoli is OK, califlower isn't.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

@cruiseny4life that carnival broken egg sandwich is amazing!

• Thanks 1

Wait time for O’Sheehans was about 15 minutes for the two of us.  I won’t post the menu again but I did order the ‘chili’ and it also doesn’t have beans. Somebody was asking earlier. In fact it’s less ‘chili’ and more ‘ground beef in a bowl’ but great with the tortilla chips as a dip.

Buffalo wings are better than smoked BBQ. The fish and chips was ok, not great. C had the coney dog w chili on side. Said was great (mine was the other day too)

export_4.jpeg.e287521acaca8c142c9e45459f619c85.jpeg

export_3.jpeg.dca347e5359071d9a16e44cbdeff1a91.jpeg

export_2.jpeg.ab6fd3081d99c3620ce8e39fce5ea8f8.jpeg

export_1.jpeg.18ea8b6f5bd4279ec419ee75d8172b30.jpeg

export_0.jpeg.15d2af1b56ebc2eb9ddeef506350b3ca.jpeg

• Haha 2

My mom is following along and texted with concerns that all we do is eat 🙂. We do other things. We are pool/sun people, we enjoy roaming the ship and seeing shows like six and comedy and dueling pianos.  We all like to read, and the kids went to the card room and library a couple of times.  Angie and I’ve either read in a quiet place or in the sun pretty much nonstop. 

Chelsie took pics for me from the workout room - she’s on the rowing team so has to spend an hour a day on the erg and Josh works out too - they said the free setup is nice - I haven’t looked at it much less participated!  

export_0.jpeg.666a21a8b748a06abc0a31562ad1a2df.jpeg

export_1.jpeg.59d99852d00cde5e181c645bf34bf698.jpeg

export_2.jpeg.143d85c2992c39bbb5438e449e13530c.jpegexport_3.jpeg.1d6fd6915ec42a4e5468bbc3f0126b7f.jpeg

export_4.jpeg.3b3fe3474d7cc8b14cb85979cdd6d42d.jpeg

Thanks for the dinner suggestions - we just got La Cucina reservations. For those curious I would have gone with the double meatball suggestion and the chicken and seafood paella. The avocado hummus was the only item I definitely would NOT have picked! 

Excited for Italian but sad Josh won’t potentially have steak every night. I didn’t tell him I was keeping track but since we are having Cagney’s again tomorrow I knew tonight was the deciding night.  So he will have it 6/7 of dinners. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HoosierShipmate said:

Thanks for the dinner suggestions - we just got La Cucina reservations. For those curious I would have gone with the double meatball suggestion and the chicken and seafood paella. The avocado hummus was the only item I definitely would NOT have picked! 

Excited for Italian but sad Josh won’t potentially have steak every night. I didn’t tell him I was keeping track but since we are having Cagney’s again tomorrow I knew tonight was the deciding night.  So he will have it 6/7 of dinners. 

Tell Josh there is still hope🤞 

We haven't ate at La Cucina for a couple of cruises, but I do recall getting a good filet in there😉

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

Tell Josh there is still hope🤞 

We haven't ate at La Cucina for a couple of cruises, but I do recall getting a good filet in there😉

@Sand and Seas I was just looking at the menu and remarked that there was filet to my wife….but given how awful the buffet pizza is I’m betting he needs his pizza fix more than a filet will tempt him. Will be interesting to see.

I tend to wander thru a new restaurant ‘looking for a restroom’ so I can look at everyone’s food before I order.  I haven’t figured out my choice yet so my eyes may make the decision for me later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laurenran said:

If you end up bowling, I’m curious how much it costs. We haven’t done bowling on a cruise yet so we might check it out on our upcoming trip. Thanks for posting the menus, I would have ordered the coconut shrimp and baked brie salad. 

I will check tonight @Laurenran

• Like 1

La Cucina for dinner tonight as you know since we got a last minute reservation. We had two extra dining credits from the balcony/suite add on so we used them plus paid off the menu for the other two.  

Of our three specialty dining locations this trip it places third.

Menu:

IMG_0539.thumb.jpeg.03629f8d80ae5464fb6a361dbb12f292.jpeg

IMG_0540.thumb.jpeg.ecae55637679ebf1769480aa3a7c670d.jpeg

I was surprised when the server said those on the dining credits could choose any two items from the first page of soup/pasta and any one from page two. Plus dessert of course. I had prepped for one item from the first page so had to make another decision.

I ended up with calamari and risotto followed by the Gamberi fra Diavolo.  Loved it all.

Angie had the calamari plus beef lasagna. 

Chelsie had calamari and a pepperoni pizza with a fancier name. Josh did NOT eat steak! He had the antipasti and appetizer sized lasagna plus pepperoni pizza with fancy name.

Angie and I coordinated our orders to share each main. The lasagna was amazing too but think I preferred mine - the shrimp was spicy so if that’s not your thing, skip it. Usually spicy means less bland but this time it really was spicy.

The kids both were disappointed in their pizzas and both Angie and I had a piece and we agree with them.  Not up to par.  I hated that for them, but luckily both liked their appetizers and there was plenty of food.

Pics:

export_0.jpeg.f19715034a7fbeb6f99df017f548845c.jpeg
calamari

export_1.jpeg.3494738a4e5bc3221b70ee67deee88c1.jpeg

antipasti

export_2.jpeg.412520168b26fb3918988a554ce8734c.jpeg

this is the appetizer size lasagne

export_3.jpeg.cc3bc4d1d6cb9b90f0e68c9c2b838a55.jpeg
risotto w mushrooms

export_5.jpeg.b6a798c54b6c6db8251e02fabac336da.jpeg

entree size lasagne slightly bigger 

export_4.jpeg.b0ded80f5ebfe0350227d8d47aceec4b.jpeg

one of the pizzas - plenty of food but just average 

export_6.jpeg.68ebf1c93eb1025c3500abddd6296c15.jpeg

shrimp diavolo delish

For dessert Angie skipped as nothing she really liked.

IMG_0548.thumb.jpeg.a6147cfea1d9c2cce7c7a946ff4e9635.jpeg

I had the panna cotta which might be my fave of the week.  Josh had tiramisu that he took one bite of and hated so of course I ate the rest and it was fantastic too. Chelsie no surprise asked for chocolate ice cream.

export_7.jpeg.447d2ecf20afc2f9ef76764f286eba09.jpeg

export_9.jpeg.b65becae14cfb0fa9ae0699f0de0bfea.jpeg

export_8.jpeg.61b3c207e00f22dda999b474697f7b18.jpeg

Service was terrific and the atmosphere is great but the food just didn’t work for us when compared to the other specialty options.  Probably would need a 7-meal package before we would return. But I’d get that panna cotta as a to-go item before bed some night!

export_3.jpeg.f5d5aecbe335e712c85fc75415cc6f88.jpeg

export_6.jpeg

• Like 2