High price for solo on celebrity cruise

latebuyer

I'm afraid that post-pandemic, both Celebrity and RC have been pricing solo use of a double cabin to more than 200%. Their rationale for this is that on average, a passenger will spend 60% on their paid cruise fare on top on extras once they are onboard the cruise. (This info was in the Royal Caribbean Group's report to shareholders). So to compensate, both Celebrity and RC marks up the difference if the cabin were to be occupied by a solo.

The new Edge series ship DO have solo infinite veranda cabins that typically start selling at 160%, about the same premium as NCL marks up their solo cabins. I've seen those solo cabins on Celebrity Apex and while there's quite divergent opinions on the ship's infinite verandas, those solo cabins get sold out in a flash. 

On the couple of RC cruises I've looked at, the solo price was twice the per person double occupancy price for choosing your cabin. The big price differences (similar to what tge OP found on Celebrity) came because guarantee cabin rates disappeared when booking a cabin for one. 

• Like 1

I have a B2B2B booked for February that was booked 2 years ago. With the increase in Celebrity prices along with the extra for solo travelers I won’t be booking with them again unless I find a good deal. At those prices I would be better off cruising the luxury lines. 

• Like 1

Well looking from the other side, royal is the only line that gives me as a solo a discount on all cruisefares. I pushed last year for some extra points to hit the 340 pt solo discount. Royal also has cheaper group rates many TAs have access to. It's a matter of loyalty perks, and I just never was there before so I pushed. For the same money I dont get 5 free drinks on other lines or 2 free days of wifi. 

I agree that I wish rcl would allow solo to book gty but almost always cant, that's why the more than 200% difference. Gty a couple can pick and let royal pick the cabin. 

I just booked a TA in a balcony on rcl, voyager may 2025. $1321 total. Almost every 2 pax cabin was open to pick from. It was less than $30 more for a balcony than a inside cabin, so I was like heck yea. Also booked the next leg, ending in rome so now I'm trying to research rome.

I saw someone above who wants to protest we as solo cant book a gty so it's more than 200% more. I doubt rcl cares. Do what you want. 

• Like 1

Celebrity pricing for solos is nuts!  I have seen mor3 than one instance where it is better to book a double cabin for a solo than the solo cabins that they are now offering.   I booked a solo balcony on the Apex for 11/24 2 years out.  It was a good price.  They canceled the cruise and booked me on a new one that same month.  Again it was a solo balcony at a very good rate adding additional OBC.  They then canceled that one and took back most of the OBC.  Since then all prices that I have checked on the newer ships with the solo balconies have been more than booking a regular balcony for one.  Worse than that is what they charge for their AI.  None of it makes any sense as they charge more for the AI upgrade than for the cruise itself.  It is much more cost effective in most cases to book the cruise only and then add what you want.

I just did another search on celebrity and in case of sept 24 canada new england cruise it was over 200% but sept 25 just 200% so i guess it pays to look if you want to do business with them. It is interesting as justa year gao my friend got no single supplement on an alaskan cruise.

Edited by latebuyer

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve been trying to get back on a Celebrity cruise for many months as a solo traveler, but this crazy pricing is insulting and absurd!!   I understand paying 200 percent for the cabin itself although in the past I’ve usually paid less.   But I refuse to pay more for a cabin than 2 people will.  And the worst thing is the all included price for drink package and WiFi.  It’s also more than double.  I’ve never ever seen a cruise line charge double for a drink package and internet because you are traveling by yourself.   Can you imagine walking into a bar and being charged more than double the price for your drink than the people next to you because they are 2 people drinking, but you are by yourself.  I’m truly angry at Celebrity!  

Edited by Alan 1984
  • Like 6

I have this same issue.  I went through a mock booking on a cruise that was offering a deep discount for the second person.  The trip total came to $3266.28 for two people.  When I went back to do the mock booking for one person the price changed to  $4734.64 for the trip total for the exact same room type.  This mock booking was on Celebrity also.  I think having the imaginary cruise companion is the way to go.  I don’t recall this happening on Princess or Norwegian.  I will check again to see.

Edited 45 minutes ago by Milangel

• Like 2

I initially was planning a Celebrity 4 night Bahamas cruise (regular inside cabin) with my friend, but when she backed out, I still wanted to go on the cruise. I was able to find Prime inside cabin for the same cost as if I was booking with friend, only paying my share, and I have the room to myself. It was a Black Friday deal, plus the $50 off email promo code.
For just me in a Prime inside cabin, 4 night Bahamas cruise: $480 total+taxes (not including gratuities $72). Good deal? Or not? 

Regent has solo cruise supplements as low as 0% on some cruises .30-50% less than Celebrity solo in inside cabin….includes all drinks, tours, tips, large cabins, laundry facilities, smaller passenger loads. It’s a no brainer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watch cruise News today YouTube and Celebrity has officially stated they will be charging more than twice double occupancy for solo bookings...to make up for lost revenue generated by a second person.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hope this doesn't start a trend with princess and holland america And hopefully royal caribbean which is part of same group doesn’t follow suit. At least we have norwegian%%!

Edited by latebuyer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I watch cruise News today YouTube and Celebrity has officially stated they will be charging more than twice double occupancy for solo bookings...to make up for lost revenue generated by a second person.

Thanks!  I guess I will be avoiding this line from now on.

• Like 1

A delayed response by how upset i am about this. This is the first i've heard of a company charging more than double to solos. Whats sad is solo cruisers probably won't punish the company and will still buy the solo balconies. In canada, discrimination by marital status isn't legally recognized. In the states is it?

Just to be clear what i mean is if a disabled person was charged more due to larger room and additional servicès provided, that would be discrimination. (Note i'm not a lawyer just did research on discrimination by family status for a pension issue i have,)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just to be clear what i mean is if a disabled person was charged more due to larger room and additional servicès provided, that would be discrimination. (Note i'm not a lawyer just did research on discrimination by family status for a pension issue i have,) A quick google shows there is discrimination by family status for employment in florida https://www.turnpikelaw.com/what-is-and-is-not-marital-status-discrimination/ Also i discovered you can’t discriminate by marital status in alberta The Alberta Human Rights Act (the Act) prohibits discrimination based on the grounds of family and marital status There is hope!

Edited by latebuyer