Hawaiian Holiday 🎄🍾 LIVE from Koningsdam Dec 21-Jan 6: join me for my 1st solo cruise & 1st inside cabin!

Haljo1935

1 hour ago, SonuvaBeach said:

FYI....well, sort of....I phoned the Shore EX people at HAL. After over an hour on the phone with the  "experts," no one could tell me if the tickets for the Arizona memorial were included. I read TO HIM the description of the tour which clearly states we would be going to the USS Arizona Memorial and i asked if the tickets( which can only be purchased ahead of time) would be included. He said.."Let me check on that" and put me on hold...when he came back 10 minutes later, he proceeded to read back to me what i had just read TO HIM 10 minutes ago. Trying not to lose my patience, I pointed out that I just read that to him, and reiterated my concern about  the tickets to the memorial not being included. He  read the description to me AGAIN!  He clearly did not know the answer...

100% feel your frustration. It was the same way on my final straw Norway cruise that has caused me to "Not Another Dime" HAL and Carnival at large. Honestly, if you have a bad experience or think they're doing one thing but they actually do another, they pull out the shore excursion description and read it like a court of law.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:33 PM, Mike07 said:

100% feel your frustration. It was the same way on my final straw Norway cruise that has caused me to "Not Another Dime" HAL and Carnival at large. Honestly, if you have a bad experience or think they're doing one thing but they actually do another, they pull out the shore excursion description and read it like a court of law.

Hi, Mike07,

I sometimes use ship excursions knowing that they are more expensive than they need to be. I sometimes use my own initiative and book with locals. I use ship trips if the shore location involves long time/distance travel. If the activity is close by, I use the local options. I have never been disappointed in either case. In Honolulu, I would go local to visit Pearl Harbor. To the Polynesian Cultural Center, I might go local if the cruise involves an overnight stay. Otherwise, I would use a ship tour.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Mike07,

I sometimes use ship excursions knowing that they are more expensive than they need to be. I sometimes use my own initiative and book with locals. I use ship trips if the shore location involves long time/distance travel. If the activity is close by, I use the local options. I have never been disappointed in either case. In Honolulu, I would go local to visit Pearl Harbor. To the Polynesian Cultural Center, I might go local if the cruise involves an overnight stay. Otherwise, I would use a ship tour.

Jim

I get that. I don't pretend to have a "right" answer, but the frustration of two shore excursions with HAL led me to move on. I did have a great shore excursion with the Hike to Pulpit Rock, but there were several injuries and one person airlifted off of the hiking trail from HAL. I don't have actual counts, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 to 1/2 of the participants never made it to Pulpit rock, because while HAL accurately said it was strenuous, it was probably more strenuous than most realized. I'm still grateful HAL offered it considering the demo they market to.

I have done the USS Arizona and Pearl Harbor experience while on a cruise, albeit with Princess. Granted, I rented a car and drove out to the site myself, went over to Ford Island, Punch Bowl, drove around on H3, filled up on the NAS (I think), and overall had a great time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haljo1935 - Congratulations on your Dallas Stars win! 😊

I hope you got your post cruise survey.

Go Cowboys! 😊 I'm glad they're playing in Texas because it's 2° in Green Bay!!!!

3 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Haljo1935 - Congratulations on your Dallas Stars win! 😊

I hope you got your post cruise survey.

Go Cowboys! 😊 I'm glad they're playing in Texas because it's 2° in Green Bay!!!!

Thanks - too bad the Mavericks were not as successful. 

At 14°, we're only slightly warmer than Green Bay. Heck, at that temperature, do you even feel the difference? Weather app says it feels like 0°. Brrr...

20240114_124000.thumb.jpg.49a50abf0443d908d5f2d44a522181d7.jpg

20240114_123700.jpg.13dd9f28dfb653f7e8ba306a9c53725e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thank you 😪it was painful.

As a Packer fan I can't say sorry, but I do want to thank you for this post.  We will be doing Koningsdam to Polynesia Feb of 25.  You provided us with a lot of useful information.  My Packers and your Cowboys have a lot of playoff history.  I remember back in the 90's, they used to knock us out of the playoffs almost every year.

Rollie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rollie said:

As a Packer fan I can't say sorry, but I do want to thank you for this post.  We will be doing Koningsdam to Polynesia Feb of 25.  You provided us with a lot of useful information.  My Packers and your Cowboys have a lot of playoff history.  I remember back in the 90's, they used to knock us out of the playoffs almost every year.

Rollie

I've been swamped since returning so I haven't been able to wrap everything up yet. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them if I'm able.

Yes, our teams do have history 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:39 AM, Haljo1935 said:

I've been swamped since returning so I haven't been able to wrap everything up yet. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them if I'm able.

Yes, our teams do have history 😉

How was weather and seas on the way and back sounds like you had a great trip. We leave on the 30th. Thanks 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pelkoger said:

How was weather and seas on the way and back sounds like you had a great trip. We leave on the 30th. Thanks 

Didn't have many times when seas were very rough. It was worse going out than coming back. I'm trying to remember if it was closer to Hawaii or closer to Ensenada, but that's how brief it was that it's not jumping out where.

Weather was nice. It got a bit windy sometimes on the balcony (starboard mid-ship) that I didn't stay out too long. Full disclosure - I am used to true aft cabins (wake view) that have little wind, so it may have seemed worse to me than it really was.

The cover was frequently open at Lido pool - very nice sitting out there.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Haljo1935...do you remember if taxis were available from Pier 2B in Oahu?

We need transportation from the pier to the Grand Island bus Depot at Hilton Hawaiian Village.  This is where we will pu our transportation at 10 am to Kualo Ranch for our excursion.

Thanks...see you over on the other LIVES wrapping up today and tomorrow, BUT we still have Jamman upcoming review of Celebration to look forward to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

We need transportation from the pier to the Grand Island bus Depot at Hilton Hawaiian Village.  This is where we will pu our transportation at 10 am to Kualo Ranch for our excursion.

Thanks...see you over on the other LIVES wrapping up today and tomorrow, BUT we still have Jamman upcoming review of Celebration to look forward to.

Hey - that is the one port I did a ship excursion. The excursion lines are under cover then they took us directly to the bus, so I didn't have an opportunity to look for/at other transportation. 

And not having a window seat on the bus, I wasn't able to see anything. 

Wish I could answer. I look forward to hearing about your adventure and seeing some pictures. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

I can answer if that’s ok. There are taxis and there is also a dedicated Uber/lyft/ ride share pickup area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I can answer if that’s ok. There are taxis and there is also a dedicated Uber/lyft/ ride share pickup area.

Thanks @sunviking90 for jumping in - looks like @Hogladyrider should be good for a fabulous day in Oahu HI!

BTW @Hogladyrider I love seeing all the K'dam cruises in your signature on those other LIVEs 😉

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey - that is the one port I did a ship excursion. The excursion lines are under cover then they took us directly to the bus, so I didn't have an opportunity to look for/at other transportation. 

And not having a window seat on the bus, I wasn't able to see anything. 

Wish I could answer. I look forward to hearing about your adventure and seeing some pictures. 

18 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

@Haljo1935...no worries at all, and absolutely I will share some pics, more than likely over on the Tribe CC page.

@sunviking90 thank you so much for responding, makes me feel a lot better.  We paid for transportation to Kualo Ranch and back but we have to pick it up at the Hilton Hawaiian Bus Depot so we will need to get from the Pier to their. 

I am old and not familar with Uber/Lyft do you have a preference?  Is it customary or polite to ask "how much" before you get in the vehicle? 

I realize it is only about a 15 minute ride...but definitely too far to walk, saying over an hour, I'd be too nervous walking.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks @sunviking90 for jumping in - looks like @Hogladyrider should be good for a fabulous day in Oahu HI!

BTW @Hogladyrider I love seeing all the K'dam cruises in your signature on those other LIVEs 😉

@Haljo1935...we love HAL and Koningsdam was doing the early shoulder in Alaska.  My other half has never been to Alaska and he doesn't fly so the Eurodam will get us from San Diego to Vancouver before we board Koningsdam for 14 days.

I am beyond excited to get back on a cruise soon it has been far too long with this lockdown and us not being able to cruise.  Although on our Roll Call someone on Koningsdam Hawaii cruise now posted that they have come down with C! sigh...:-(

• Like 3

@Hogladyrider I don’t have a preference between Uber and Lyft and in fact many of the drivers are driving for both. You don’t have to deal with the cost or payment with the driver unlike a taxi. Download the app, store your CC in it and book thru that. I have both apps and just use which ever comes up cheaper. I wouldn’t pay more than $10-$15 to the HHV. 
There is also  city bus that goes directly from a bus stop outside the port to the HHV. It’s only about 2.50 and I think less for seniors

• Like 2

With Lyft and Uber, you have an app on your phone where your credit card is registered. When you want a ride, you go to the app and enter travel info. You then are given options which include size of vehicle, cost and approximate pick-up time.  You can either accept the ride or close out and check a different company. You can tip, or not, on the app or in cash at the time of the ride. When you accept a ride, you get a text with driver name, car make and license plate number.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

@Hogladyrider I don’t have a preference between Uber and Lyft and in fact many of the drivers are driving for both. You don’t have to deal with the cost or payment with the driver unlike a taxi. Download the app, store your CC in it and book thru that. I have both apps and just use which ever comes up cheaper. I wouldn’t pay more than $10-$15 to the HHV. 
There is also  city bus that goes directly from a bus stop outside the port to the HHV. It’s only about 2.50 and I think less for seniors

I have looked into the bus, the "issue" is the time the bus goes by the port!  Thanks I will look into the Uber/Lyft apps.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Forgot to mention, some airline and hotel reward programs give you the ability to earn points/miles if you link accounts with the ride share companies.

This reminds me: when we first signed up we got free first rides on both apps. Not sure if they still do that, but I would look for those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1