Help! Looking for useful suggestions/tips/tricks!

ChicagoCruiser2007

20 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Maybe I am too polite but definitely on our flights in USA in January & March 2023 if we aren't part of the group they called, which we weren't, we hang back until we were called. YMMV

This seems so strange to me.  What airline and class of service did you have?  

On American Airlines, which I have the most experience flying, domestic first class passengers are in the first boarding group and after their highest elite level passengers.

Below are links to the largest carriers in the US with first class domestic service.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/boarding-process.jsp

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/boarding-priority

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/airport/boarding-process.html

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 9:00 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I think you missed my point— which was simply that folks who claim to cruise for a week or more “with just carry on” are likely to have supplemented their packing capacity by “bending the rules” by hauling more than “one carry on bag plus one small personal item” 

I don't think that idea can be supported with evidence.  

Just stating the obvious:  If an airline allows passengers to bring a rolling carry-on + a personal item, the passengers are not "cheating" if they bring a rolling carry-on + a backpack.  Obviously some people don't like it, but that doesn't make it "cheating". 

Also, judging by the busy parking decks, MANY of us don't fly to cruises.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Just stating the obvious:  If an airline allows passengers to bring a rolling carry-on + a personal item, the passengers are not "cheating" if they bring a rolling carry-on + a backpack.  Obviously some people don't like it, but that doesn't make it "cheating". 

If one passenger brings more than his appropriate,   share the result is that another does not have the room for his appropriate amount. That is often why on many flights “gate check” is necessary.  It happens because airline personnel do not want to confront aggressive passengers over what they see as minor violations.  Unfortunately our civilization has devolved to the point where many social rules are ignored if not strictly enforced. 

The fact that many folks drive to cruises has zero to do with the problem flying passengers have.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 6:17 PM, K32682 said:

Premium class passengers can usually board whenever they want. If there's not enough space for them they are dawdling. I'm about 50-50 between business/premium economy and economy. Never had a problem getting overhead space in premium or business.  

First class yes.  Premium class is not open boarding, at least on international flights.   

On 12/30/2023 at 6:55 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Remember -- you are on a thread populated by many folks claim  to cruise with "just carry-on" -- even if they have only one max possible carry-on bag in the overhead, you can bet your sweet potato that their "small personal item" (if there is just one} is likely to easily fit under the seat.

I would say is "unlikely" to fit under the seat.   

On 1/3/2024 at 7:43 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, not much in this thread can be supported with hard evidence I guess.  But anyone with experience flying is aware that many personal items brought along with the max allowable carryon luggage are much larger than the intended small handbag, laptop bag, or briefcase.   One can rationalize it isn't cheating if they can get away with it.   Guess same could apply to just about any rule that one might find inconvenient.  

On 1/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, navybankerteacher said:

The fact that many folks drive to cruises has zero to do with the problem flying passengers have.

The point is that not everyone who advocates for packing light /packing in a single modest-sized bag is flying.  The implication was made that all the people walking off the ship with a single bag were "part of the problem".  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

One can rationalize it isn't cheating if they can get away with it.   Guess same could apply to just about any rule that one might find inconvenient.  

No, it's not about rationalization or getting caught:  

If the airline says, "You may bring X amount as a carry-on", and you bring X amount, you're not wrong to bring X amount.  If you bring X+1, yeah, you're doing wrong, but X is 100% acceptable.  

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The point is that not everyone who advocates for packing light /packing in a single modest-sized bag is flying.  The implication was made that all the people walking off the ship with a single bag were "part of the problem".  

No, it's not about rationalization or getting caught:  

If the airline says, "You may bring X amount as a carry-on", and you bring X amount, you're not wrong to bring X amount.  If you bring X+1, yeah, you're doing wrong, but X is 100% acceptable.  

I'm just going with what the majority of airlines define as a "personal item" in additional to an allowable carry on.  Going back to one of my previous posts, I simply wish the airlines would enforce that rule.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The point is that not everyone who advocates for packing light /packing in a single modest-sized bag is flying.  The implication was made that all the people walking off the ship with a single bag were "part of the problem".  …

The “problem” being discussed is that caused by people FLYING with more than their share of “carry-ons” resulting in others being cramped— and has nothing to do with “people walking of the ship” (with any amount of luggage). 

• Like 2

My family of 3 is going to be traveling for 16 days, so we will each bring a carry-on. We are going to bring 1 checked bag for the 3 of us with a combination of toiletries that can't go in the carry-ons (full size sunscreen, shampoo etc.) and shoes and/or clothing that doesn't fit in our carry-ons.

I do bring multiple pairs of shoes to wear while on excursions and walking around. It helps me avoid blasters or sore spots since my shoes or sandals are well broken in and touch my feet in different spots (if that makes sense).

• Like 1