How many euros do people bring?

firefly333

38 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

In my experience in Europe, Diners Club is virtually unknown, Discover is useless, and merchants hate American Express (even in the US) because their processing fees are higher than VISA or MasterCard.

I pay too much with card, I think I am used with them and... honestly I have to say I hadn't heared about Discover card before.

I would bet American Express is more accepted than Diners... but barely accepted.

One friend told me he had a free AE and there was just one supermarket where he could buy in his day-to-day

If you come to Europe, MasterCard/Maestro or Visa

And, for sure, MasterCard would be more welcome than Visa because fees to he commerce

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You can ask -- some will and some won't. They just aren't used to doing it with the frequency that it is done in the US. Better to ask at the beginning of the meal so they don't have to divide it later. And don't be surprised if they refuse.

I would

- ask just as I arrive

- Assume the most frequent answer will be no (sometimes because fees, sometimes because one table, one bill)

- in case of "no", one pays the full bill with a card, the other ones give their portion in cash.

I am sure paying by card is cheaper than paying by cash to a on European just because bank commision. How much does it cost to pay in foreing currency and how much does it cost to retrieve cash in an ATM?

So avoid paying in cash if you can

10 minutes ago, KristieB said:

What about tipping? Is it customary to tip in restaurants, drivers, etc? 

Tipping is not so usual in Europe as it does in USA.

It is considered that every worker has their rights (including an acceptable salary) before starting to work, not because tips.

Tips are considered as you are granted because a special service.

Drivers aren't tipped

In monuments and public sites you could see a picture "it is forbidden to tip"

Restaurants are tipped if you think it has been a GREAT service.

And tips aren't a 10% or more than bill but smaller. So some restaurants... would really prefer from you a 5 star review in google or tripadvisor with pictures and so on than a tip

If you tip, always, always in local currency

20 hours ago, KristieB said:

What about tipping? Is it customary to tip in restaurants, drivers, etc? 

Its always a great question (which sometimes inflames passions here on CC).  We Americans are ingrained, from birth, with our "tipping culture."  Many of us have some difficulty adjusting to the differing tipping/non tipping cultures around the world.  We often suffer from "tipping guilt" which makes it hard for us not to tip.  To simply say "get over it" and follow local norms is easier said than done for many North Americans.  

That being said, do some online reading about the tipping culture in each country you will visit.  Within Europe, there are various suggestings from no tipping to some tipping (perhaps just rounding up) to real tipping.  You will also find other European cultural issues such as added-on service charges, cover charges (called "coperto" in Italy) and even fees to eat bread (sometimes found in Italy).  

My advice, to fellow North Americans, is become familiar with local/national norms and follow that practice.  No need to be the "ugly American" and force our own tipping culture on other countries :).

Hank

• Like 1

I totally agree.

Many of us have had our first job and 1- we have had a fair salary (maybe the first salary was small, but it was fair, there are people who live on that salary) and 2- they have not given us tips.
We grow and... we tip the same way we've seen.

As they say, "service included." There are restaurants that charge it with some concepts (copperto in Italy, called something else in France or even charging you for the bread much more than it costs, where they are indirectly charging you for the service). And when they don't specifically charge for it, it's still assumed to be included.

In certain countries you will see the "menu", where for a specific price you have to choose some dishes, a dessert and some drinks. You can have some dishes with a supplement, order a different wine than the one included and request some extras. But you know the price of the "menu" before you sit down. The service is included there.

Still, if you want to tip, know that
- In Europe it is customary to tip only if the service has been above expectations.
- This implies that if they do the service as stipulated, you have paid for a service that includes a fair and reasonable salary for that person. For example, it will be difficult for you to see tips for bus drivers because if they are tasked with a specific route, it will be difficult for them to do more. To a taxi driver... only if he does something very special. Sometimes he won't do something special, not because he doesn't want to but because the occasion doesn't arise.
- Perhaps in restaurants is where tipping is most likely. Of course, much lower than those of the United States

and... remember that sometimes a very good review on Google or TripAdvisor is better than a tip (a complete review, with photos, explanations, etc...)

In other words, they will not say no to the tip, but the image that is given when you pay a tip typical of the United States in Europe is similar to... if you go to the United States and give a tip like the one gives in Europe

I have to disagree about attitudes to splitting a bill and paying by card, we do that frequently.  We do it when going out as couples when it might just be of each paying half.  We also do it as a group of single after-work friends who might pay very different amounts because there are those who stop for a water and others who have an appetizer and two drinks.  As long as you do the sums and say e.g ‘can i pay £25 please’ it is the easiest way when multiple people are paying with cards.  No one has ever turned us away or even questioned what we do.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Didn’t read properly

10 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I have to disagree about attitudes to splitting a bill and paying by card, we do that frequently.  We do it when going out as couples when it might just be of each paying half.  We also do it as a group of single after-work friends who might pay very different amounts because there are those who stop for a water and others who have an appetizer and two drinks.  As long as you do the sums and say e.g ‘can i pay £25 please’ it is the easiest way when multiple people are paying with cards.  No one has ever turned us away or even questioned what we do.  

good to know.

• Like 1