How many euros do people bring?

firefly333

I keep reading to get "some" euros from my bank before I go. I'm doing 2 legs, a 13 day TA and a 10 day port intensive 2nd leg. Ends in rome where I'm thinking 4 days, more or less, depends on excursions and availability. Im solo so enough for 1 person. Im currently with chase bank but moving, hoping there is a chase there. I will ask before I go about atm charges using my card to get more euros. 

I doubt I'll book a rcl excursion for every port ahead of time. Some ports I'll walk off and wander. 

Food is going to be expensive in rome? Tips for excursions in euros not dollars.

If you have never been to europe how do you decide how many euros to bring? Bring some ... some is nebulous. 200, 300 .. mostly food or tips I'd think but might be excursions too. Solo I doubt I'd go to some fancy restaurant but I would like to see rome too. How much do you budget a day to eat?

As mentioned here frequently, credit cards rule in Europe now. We just did a two week land trip in France, eating two meals out every day, a couple tours, hotels, public transit,  etc...and only spent 65 euros in cash. Everything else was on the credit card.

• Like 1

"Some" means enough to pay for your transportation to the hotel in case of emergency.  The idea is to obtain euros at a bank ATM so you can get the best possible exchange rate.  There are ATMs at the airport, terminal and all over the place.  However, for your peace of mind, have enough to get to the hotel where they can direct you to the closest ATM if you need more.  And use your credit card as often as you can, even for small purchases.  Frankly, 100 euros is probably more than enough to have with you when you arrive.  With 200 you could have enough left over to bring back on your next trip. 

Check the many threads here on exchange rates and ATMs, and on tipping.  For example:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2917954-euros-to-bring-along-on-a-cruise/#comment-64887196

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2909119-tipping-in-italy/#comment-64685924

• Like 2

Credit card usage is a lot more common now but you still need cash for small purchases.  However, those are becoming fewer and fewer each year.  You can tap on buses in Rome with a credit card now, for example.  In Naples you can use tap-on/tap-off for metro and local trains, but not yet for buses.  

I personally like cash, so I always have at least 100 euro with me from my last trip.  If I've worked my cash down during a trip I'll hit up an ATM before I leave so I always have my stash, but it's really not necessary.  That's just my comfort zone.

In 2015 I was frequently offered a discount in Italy if I paid in cash, and an even greater discount if I didn't want a receipt (which usually meant the proprietor had no intention of declaring the income). It was an interesting moral dilemma....and could conceivably lead to an unpleasant involvement with the Guardia di Finanza.

Edited by Langoustine

37 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

In 2015 I was frequently offered a discount in Italy if I paid in cash, and an even greater discount if I didn't want a receipt (which usually meant the proprietor had no intention of declaring the income). It was an interesting moral dilemma....and could conceivably lead to an unpleasant involvement with the Guardia di Finanza.

My favourite Guardia di Finanza story is from a very fastidious Italian acquaintance who came out of the gelateria with his cone, and put his receipt into the bin just outside the door. A grumpy member of the Guardia promptly asked to see his receipt, and told him to get it back out of the bin. The equally grumpy acquaintance said, “No. The bin is filthy. If you want the receipt, get it yourself.” The receipt stayed in the bin, and my acquaintance finished his gelato in peace! 

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned here frequently, credit cards rule in Europe now. We just did a two week land trip in France, eating two meals out every day, a couple tours, hotels, public transit,  etc...and only spent 65 euros in cash. Everything else was on the credit card.

Most taxis we took in Rome recently didn't want to take credit cards. I haven't run into that on other recent trips in Europe and elsewhere. Also some small restaurants wanted cash. So I'd generally agree with you for most of Europe but not for Italy - especially taxis.

Most other things accepted cards.

All ATMs seem to charge a per use fee in Europe but I still find it the best way to get cash. I generally get 300 Euros at a time to minimize the fee. I don't mind if I take some Euros home because they'll get used on a later trip. If you don't want to do that and haven't prepaid your Rome hotel, you could use leftover Euros for part of your hotel bill.

• Like 2

I travel solo as well. I tend to have around 100-150 euros with me for things like getting to hotel from airport (50-60 euro if taking a car or taxi) and other small incidentals. Like others who travel often to Europe I just tend to keep about that amount on me and bring it home for next trip to start all over again.

I use ATMs to top up that amount as needed. Look for ATMs outside bank buildings (some are inside a protected vestibule, which is an additional layer of safety). Second choice would be to use one associated with a well-known local or European bank. You won't find a Chase ATM per se, if you want to use an ATM within Chase's network you should be able to look that up on their website.

Food prices vary widely depending on what you eat. A slice of pizza to go and a soda might cost 10 euros. A sit-down lunch would be more like 20-25 euros. I like to go to a nice restaurant for dinner, generally for a salad and pasta the cost should be around 25-30 euro, not including a glass of wine. Most Italian restaurants sell "house wine" and possibly some others by the glass at a decent rate. Almost all sit-down restaurants (and most bars) will take credit cards.

The majority of hotels in Rome include a free breakfast. It won't be as lavish as an American or British style spread usually but they will have pastries, toast, fruit, yoghurts, granola, cheeses and sliced meat (like deli ham) and often but not always will also have scrambled or boiled eggs and sausages or bacon.

• Like 1

Hi, I am European, last time I was in a Paris with my family for 11 days I spent less than 100 euro in cash.

I paid absolutely all with credit card and I had no problem

Ask your bank for

- commision using card abroad

- commision using ATM

Just be aware that...

- VISA and Master card are always welcome in Europe, not so sure about American Express and Diners Club

- your bank could have different comission depending which ATM you use. Ask for it (maybe an ATM located 25m away is cheaper for you. In some countries they must tell you comission before accepting)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Sounded like my friends hotel was near something like a deli where they were able to grab a brunch type item to start their day and paid cash. Maybe I didnt understand and they used credit cards but sounded to me like they used cash except at dinner. And something about esting outside is in the middle of smokers. 

I know I'll make mistakes but hopefully nothing that ruins my trip. 

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Thanks everyone. Sounded like my friends hotel was near something like a deli where they were able to grab a brunch type item to start their day and paid cash. Maybe I didnt understand and they used credit cards but sounded to me like they used cash except at dinner. And something about esting outside is in the middle of smokers. 

Ahhh, so you have mentioned the smoking issue.  And for those of us who do not appreciate smoke in our face (especially when eating) there is a small problem in many parts of Europe.  The Europeans have generally adopted some tough smoking restrictions that apply to indoors.  This has driven smokers (and there are still plenty in Europe) outdoors.  In many places, the charm of outdoor cafes can be lost in a cloud of smoke!  Trying to get a table on the upwind side of a cafe is sometimes a good solution.

We have followed this thread with some interest since we are long-time independent travelers who spend significant time in Europe.  We always like to have enough Euros in our pocket in case a place does not take credit cards, or their credit card machine is not working.  We spend months on trips and get all of our currency out of ATMs.  In Europe, you are seldom more than a few blocks from the nearest ATM.  

Hank

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The Italian equivalent of a deli is called a Salumeria. They usually sell meats, cheeses, breads, etc (though the bread is usually baked elsewhere and delivered). An exception is Roscioli which has its own bakery (near Piazza Navona). There are also bars, which unlike the US version, are not just for alcoholic drinks but also coffee, cornettos (like a croissant), snacks, sodas, etc. And there are places that specialize in coffee as well; these are usually called caffés.

As mentioned earlier, many hotels include a simple breakfast. 

Posted (edited)

A  post from me to reiterate others' comments about credit card use in Europe - it's the norm., even for just a beer or a coffee. In fact there are a few but increasing number of merchants that don't accept cash.

So altho its comforting to have some local spondoolies in your wallet before you even step off the plane, don't over-order - instead, just top up your cash reserve from time to time using local ATMs.

When it comes to using plastic, merchants & their card readers know that your card is not in local money. Most will offer to charge your card in your own currency "for your convenience". DECLINE that kind offer, leave the cost in local currency and your card issuer will give a far better exchange rate than any merchant or exchange bureau.

Same applies ATMs abroad - always but always have your card charges in local currency. Same with your on-board account if your ship's currency isn't USD.

There are even merchants who present their card reader to you with the cost already in USD. Do check that before swiping or signing or PIN - if it's in USD require them to change it back to local currency. That also has the advantage that the cost will (should be !!) the same as the check, menu, price label etc.

If your card charges a fee for conversion, ask Chase (or any other bank) for a card that's free from foreign transaction charges. We have one such card that we always use abroad - it also helps us to keep an eye on our vacation costs versus budget 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 3

I know small businesses that have paid their bank for a ski pass and accept cards for any amount. It is starting to become a habit and the only thing to keep in mind is that Diners and American Express are very little known but with Visa and Masters you will surely have no problems.

About currencies, completely cooking. Always pay in local currency. The conversion and exchange rate that the business makes will be more expensive than the one that your credit card makes.

And the last thing, always check cards and bank accounts.

For example, I have a bank card without commissions that I use for trips with these conditions
- payments in euro, direct amount
- payments in another currency, official exchange rate without commission (the official exchange rate the day after the card payment)
- ATM withdrawals in euro in any country, three times a month free
- ATM withdrawals in other currencies, 1.7% commission and the next day's exchange rate.

This allows me to travel paying everything with a card in local currency and withdraw the equivalent of 100 euros at an ATM paying...... 1.70 euros in commissions

Surely you have an online bank that offers you something like this.

@alserrod

En el caso de las tarjetas bancarias y los cambios de moneda, "comisión" se traduce como "fee" y no como "commission" ya que es una tasa impuesta por el banco al consumidor. "Fee" tiene el sentido de tasa o tarifa, mientras que "commission" significa más el porcentaje que el vendedor o viajante recibe como compensación. 

Disculpe escribírselo aquí. pero no hay manera de comunicarse directamente.

Gracias por su contribución a estos foros. Necesitamos la experiencia de los "locales."

Hi, my apologizes because I was so hurry I didn't wrote in English (it is not my native language) but I just translated with google.

I will be in a MSC cruise by summer with my family. I am reading here and learning a lot (I have done two previous cruises, one of them with MSC indeed but things have changed since then) and may I can help anyone, just ask for it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

I just translated with google.

That explains it.  😁  

No es mi idioma tampoco, pero tengo mas práctica. 

You might be interested in the restaurant ratings article I just posted in the thread "Italy: all things food and wine-related."

Happy sailing!

1 minute ago, marazul said:

That explains it.  😁  

No es mi idioma tampoco, pero tengo mas práctica. 

You might be interested in the restaurant ratings article I just posted in the thread "Italy: all things food and wine-related."

Happy sailing!

I read about it

But... we will be in a 14 people group cruise, all the family

I have been declared charged to request info (or wikipedia-man if you prefer).

For city visits I must deal about my little nephew age, my parents age, preferences to visit, etc...

This is, not the same about travelling just with my wife or so....

14 minutes ago, alserrod said:

I read about it

But... we will be in a 14 people group cruise, all the family

I have been declared charged to request info (or wikipedia-man if you prefer).

For city visits I must deal about my little nephew age, my parents age, preferences to visit, etc...

This is, not the same about travelling just with my wife or so....

That is a tough job!  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I am traveling with 3 friends.  When eating in a restaurant in Rome, will the restaurant allow us to pay separately (each using our own credit card) or will have to either pay by cash or have one person pay by credit card?

They will surely ask you to pay at once, even by card, even by cash.

I say "surely" because
- it is a nightmare for them to divide the bill and it increase card costs for them
- but there are some restaurants that have cost-dividing system and they can offer a divided bill at the same time. They aren't often but they exists.

In Europe banks have systems to make fast transfers between people (enough to know your friend mobile phone, no need his bank account number) so people is used that one pay the bill, the rest make a fast transfer

Multiple cards for one tab would not be welcomed by the vendor 😠

Especially if splitting the tab according to how much of it each person spent 😠😠

But a combination of one card plus cash is no problem anywhere.

Or since you will be with trusted friends just one card and - if they don't have local cash - the others squaring the card owner later in cash or other purchases such as on-board drinks.

And if one person is short of euros, using their card & others reimbursing them in euros saves them a trip to an ATM. 

JB 🙂 

On 12/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, alserrod said:

VISA and Master card are always welcome in Europe, not so sure about American Express and Diners Club.

In my experience in Europe, Diners Club is virtually unknown, Discover is useless, and merchants hate American Express (even in the US) because their processing fees are higher than VISA or MasterCard.

13 hours ago, SharonK said:

I am traveling with 3 friends.  When eating in a restaurant in Rome, will the restaurant allow us to pay separately (each using our own credit card) or will have to either pay by cash or have one person pay by credit card?

You can ask -- some will and some won't. They just aren't used to doing it with the frequency that it is done in the US. Better to ask at the beginning of the meal so they don't have to divide it later. And don't be surprised if they refuse.

8 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

In my experience in Europe, Diners Club is virtually unknown, Discover is useless, and merchants hate American Express (even in the US) because their processing fees are higher than VISA or MasterCard.

I use my Amex for hotel bills usually because I get double points. I've not had a hotel turn it down. However, for normal "out and about" charges I use MasterCard or VISA.