Native Choice Chacchoben Extreme Tour - How was the Lagoon??

MochiiOwl

I'm looking to book the Native Choice Chacchoben Extreme Tour that's the Chacchoben + Bacalar Lagoon combo for my cruise in January.  

I know we'll have an amazing time at the Mayan ruins.  My concern is with the Lagoon.  How have other people's experiences been with at Bacalar Lagoon?

The tour page lists a meal and use of kayaks and paddleboards. 

How was the included meal?

Some pages mention canoes.  Are there actually canoes?  When you get there, is there an option to add on a boat ride? 

When we get tired, are there covered loungers to relax in?

My family has cruised 10+ times.  We have learned to book off the ship for excursions to save money and have a really great time.  This was the first time we have had a problem.  We cruised to Costa Maya December 2023 right before Christmas.  We booked the excursion "Chacchoben Mayan Ruins and Beach Break Excursion" through costamayacruiseexcursions.com.  This is the only time in all our cruises that we have had a problem.  The guides took us to the ruins and never took us to the beach.  We kept asking about going to the beach and they said we would get there.  They put us with another group who did not have the beach break.  They decided to take them back to port and we had to ride along.  Then offered to take us to the beach.  We had to board in an hour and the sun was setting.  How much fun could we have had at the beach in less than an hour?  Food and drinks were supposed to be included.  The guide showed us a few options for food.  Also told me we get two drinks each.  The description states "The All-inclusive day pass offers guaranteed Beach Chairs and a beautifully shaded Palapa for relaxation."  So not really all-inclusive.  I emailed the company and the reply I get is basically "our policy clearly states you need to bring it up to the guide" so they don't want to take any responsibility.  My advice is to go with a different company.  We never got to see the beach, so I do not know how nice it is.  If your cruise also goes to Cozumel like most do, Paradise Beach was amazing!  Been to Playa Mia as well.  We prefer Paradise now.  The food service and drinks are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 12:16 PM, cruiser user number 7 said:

My family has cruised 10+ times.  We have learned to book off the ship for excursions to save money and have a really great time.  This was the first time we have had a problem.  We cruised to Costa Maya December 2023 right before Christmas.  We booked the excursion "Chacchoben Mayan Ruins and Beach Break Excursion" through costamayacruiseexcursions.com.  This is the only time in all our cruises that we have had a problem.  The guides took us to the ruins and never took us to the beach.  We kept asking about going to the beach and they said we would get there.  They put us with another group who did not have the beach break.  They decided to take them back to port and we had to ride along.  Then offered to take us to the beach.  We had to board in an hour and the sun was setting.  How much fun could we have had at the beach in less than an hour?  Food and drinks were supposed to be included.  The guide showed us a few options for food.  Also told me we get two drinks each.  The description states "The All-inclusive day pass offers guaranteed Beach Chairs and a beautifully shaded Palapa for relaxation."  So not really all-inclusive.  I emailed the company and the reply I get is basically "our policy clearly states you need to bring it up to the guide" so they don't want to take any responsibility.  My advice is to go with a different company.  We never got to see the beach, so I do not know how nice it is.  If your cruise also goes to Cozumel like most do, Paradise Beach was amazing!  Been to Playa Mia as well.  We prefer Paradise now.  The food service and drinks are excellent.

The tour group you used is not the same tour group that the OP was asking about. She is asking about Native Choice. I also am interested in Native Choice's Chacchoban Ruins and Bacalar Lagoon for our cruise in March. Any one out there that has done this tour, please let us know how it was, including the OP's questions. TY.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, MochiiOwl said:

I'm looking to book the Native Choice Chacchoben Extreme Tour that's the Chacchoben + Bacalar Lagoon combo for my cruise in January.  

I know we'll have an amazing time at the Mayan ruins.  My concern is with the Lagoon.  How have other people's experiences been with at Bacalar Lagoon?

The tour page lists a meal and use of kayaks and paddleboards. 

How was the included meal?

Some pages mention canoes.  Are there actually canoes?  When you get there, is there an option to add on a boat ride? 

When we get tired, are there covered loungers to relax in?

I was there in 2019 on the same tour.  I loved the ruins tour and the food at Bacalar.  I honestly thought the lagoon was dirty, full of bugs, kayaks were not upkept well, chairs were eh.  Lots of shade but it was a one and done.  I would definitely not swim in it.  After we ate, most of us ventured over to look at the water then frequently at our watches.  Bear in mind this was also 5 years ago pre covid so perhaps its better but we were really disappointed in the pictures pre trip online and the reality.  If doing again, we would skip the lagoon.  It was at some resort and I wish I knew the name.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

Thank you. Maybe it will be more clear in the summer months? Either way we will enjoy ourselves. 3/4ths of my family wants to go to the ruins and a different 3/4ths wants to go to a beach and relax.

Keep in mind it will be hot and humid in June. Go prepared.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:00 PM, scubaslayer said:

Thank you. Maybe it will be more clear in the summer months? Either way we will enjoy ourselves. 3/4ths of my family wants to go to the ruins and a different 3/4ths wants to go to a beach and relax.

lol, 1.5 of your family?