Evenings on Zaandam

3rdGenCunarder

If anyone has been on Zaandam recently, I'd appreciate hearing about the entertainment choices. I know the smaller ship has fewer options, so I'm not expecting much, given how HAL has diminished the entertainment. 

Also, I should know this, but how many gala/dressy nights are there on a 14-day cruise? It's a 2-week cruise, not two 7-nighters back-to-back. I think it's likely to be 3? 

And does HAL do anything special for Mardis Gras? It's a sea day, so I hope that will be one of the gala/dressy nights. Even if it isn't, I'll probably dress up a bit more.

Finally, has anyone seen Pinnacle offer a special Valentine's Day dinner? It's about $80. Kir royale, lobster and caviar starter, soup or salad, veal chop with king crab leg or black cod, caramel mousse or creme brulee. I'm not doing it, as I sail solo and like the regular Pinnacle menu better anyway. I just looked at the "sample menu" again, and I guess this is something they do each year because the menu is dated February 14, 2020. 

Should be 3 dressy nights on a true 14 day cruise.

Entertainment will include comedians, singing/dancing shows, specialty musicians, possibly a magician. There will likely be one night dedicated to the HAL history presentation, although that might also be a day time thing on a sea day.

There will be a band, or a piano player, in the Ocean bar every night. There will be the classical music group, alternating with a jazz group in another area.

• Like 3

On Zaandam right now. The Ocean Bar has both a pianist and a band who share the stage. Some evenings the pianist will play a couple of sets and then the band plays a few sets. There’s also a piano singer in Mix and a classical duo (cello and piano) who plays in a venue near the entrance to the dining room. The talent varies from fair to excellent with the most points going to the classical duo and the least going to the singer in the Mix in my opinion.

Stage entertainment has been several comedians (each does two nights), a singer who sings to prerecorded music, a husband and wife magic act and a male singing group. No dancers and no live music on the main stage so it’s a pretty minimal effort. The crow’s nest had one night where the band from the bar played (on orange party night) otherwise it’s just used for game night and trivia during the day. Some dancing up there to recorded music. There’s also a theater on deck 4 where movies are shown. Also movies on demand available in the cabins on the TV system. It’s more or less a typical HAL experience.

If you’re cruising for the entertainment then HAL isn’t the best choice and Zaandam definitely has less than the larger ships offer but it’s adequate and the food and overall service on the ship has been excellent in my opinion. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you for the entertainment info. I didn't expect much on the stage. I know there are no more production shows, and I won't mind if Step One isn't there, as I've seen them several times. 

It sounds like Zaandam's offerings are more to my taste than I had on Eurodam was last winter. I was lucky to sail before Lincoln Center was dropped. That was my main source of evening entertainment.

Being smaller, Zaandam obviously has less entertainment

options than Pinnacle or Vista class vessels. These larger 

ships suit our tastes perfectly. The qualities of the musicians do

vary but we have enjoyed all four of our 2022/23 HAL cruises. 

The greater variety of music provided on HAL is the principal 

reason for our move from Celebrity to Holland America.

2 hours ago, montythecat said:

Being smaller, Zaandam obviously has less entertainment

options than Pinnacle or Vista class vessels. These larger 

ships suit our tastes perfectly. The qualities of the musicians do

vary but we have enjoyed all four of our 2022/23 HAL cruises. 

I'm sorry, but did you really say variety????? Last winter on Eurodam, the choices were Lincoln Center (thank God!) or three overly loud venues doing rock covers (BBKing didn't do real blues). And there were the dancers in the showroom, which were repeats of performances I'd seen before. That's a large ship (by HAL standards) and yet they offered little variety. 

The smaller ships do not have to have fewer options. There are plenty of venues. Most do not lend themselves to large crowds, but HAL used to offer more choices of entertainment in their various bars than they do now. I have sailed HAL a long time, and I've seen the erosion of variety. I just looked back at a 2015 cruise on Veendam. A guitarist and a piano player alternated in Mix (different times, but both each night). The Neptunes (outstanding jazz combo) played in the Ocean Bar. Adagio played classical music in the Explorers Lounge. The HAL Cats played by the pool sometimes and also in the Crows Nest (which used to be lively at night!). Granted, I didn't care for the Hell Cats, but they were an option. And there were production shows and guest performers in the main showroom.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm sorry, but did you really say variety????? Last winter on Eurodam, the choices were Lincoln Center (thank God!) or three overly loud venues doing rock covers (BBKing didn't do real blues). And there were the dancers in the showroom, which were repeats of performances I'd seen before. That's a large ship (by HAL standards) and yet they offered little variety. 

Within context, Monty was comparing music variety between Celebrity and HAL.

3 hours ago, montythecat said:

Edited by *Miss G*

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Within context, Monty was comparing music variety between Celebrity and HAL.

I know, but I find it hard to believe Celebrity (or anyone) offers less than HAL. Granted, it's a few years, but a friend enjoyed her Celebrity cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you “ Miss G”  for your comment and for understanding

the comparison I was making. As for “3rdGenCunarder” I

would just like to point out that Eurodam is a Signature class

ship which did not form part of my comparison. The reason 

is that I have not have not been on this class of ship and

cannot, therefore, comment on the entertainment it

provides. As for rock bands, well they do tend to be loud

but on NS last November The Rolling Stone Lounge  was 

full every night. I do, however, enjoy a variety of music and 

am very disappointed that HAL now seem to be less 

committed to providing a classical quartet or quintet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 1:32 PM, Real NHDOC said:

If you’re cruising for the entertainment then HAL isn’t the best choice and Zaandam definitely has less than the larger ships offer but it’s adequate and the food and overall service on the ship has been excellent in my opinion. 

Yeah, Real NHDOC, but wouldn’t it be great, and doable, for HAL to offer better and more fun entertainment along with its terrific itineraries/destinations cruises?  Chamber music and talented instrumentalists and daytime lectures are all great, but what about a popular music piano sing-along venue after dinner? Or more of the music we danced to in the 50’s 60’s and 70’s? Or more and more creative old/new games for daytime or anytime. 

We may be oldies, of ‘60s and 70’s vintage…but not yet ready to settle into a staid nursing home atmosphere, especially on a cruise ship for heavens’ sake. 

Nor the opposite either of course, a Carnival type “rager” cruise with belly-flopping, and constant screaming…In between…😁

We’re currently hesitating booking a great itinerary Zaandam cruise. It has a bunch of sea days and we know on those it will be…😴 😅

PS. And PLEASE, comedians: Bathroom and old people jokes…No Más!

On 12/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, Real NHDOC said:

There’s also a piano singer in Mix and a classical duo (cello and piano) who plays in a venue near the entrance to the dining room.

This could get me back on the Zaandam. The "Billboard Onboard" pianists are not the same as a PianoMan (or woman) playing requests and encouraging sing-alongs. 

We also anticipate missing classical on the larger ships. Fingers crossed that the promised alternative to LCS materializes, even if it's a duo ala Adagio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

This could get me back on the Zaandam. The "Billboard Onboard" pianists are not the same as a PianoMan (or woman) playing requests and encouraging sing-alongs. 

We also anticipate missing classical on the larger ships. Fingers crossed that the promised alternative to LCS materializes, even if it's a duo ala Adagio.

I’m looking forward to my Volendam cruise and some music I might enjoy.  

Rich’s posts on his current cruise are very encouraging.  I know it’s a Grand Voyage but…

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m looking forward to my Volendam cruise and some music I might enjoy.  

Rich’s posts on his current cruise are very encouraging.  I know it’s a Grand Voyage but…

I'm on Zaandam in 3 weeks. Not a grand voyage, so it will be interesting to see what's offered. I have HIA, so I'll have internet to post a "live from."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm on Zaandam in 3 weeks. Not a grand voyage, so it will be interesting to see what's offered. I have HIA, so I'll have internet to post a "live from."

Looking forward to it if you have time.

have a wonderful cruise 🙂