Civitavecchia Port Transfer to Fiumicino (FCO) Airport

Fletch1

Greetings,

We are cruising on the Queen Victoria and disembark at the Civitavecchia cruise port in May 2024. Will the ship offer a transfer to the airport and if so, what time would we likely get there? If I book a 1.00pm departing flight on the same day, would the transfer get us there in plenty of time? I have looked on the Cunard website and there is nothing there about Med ports transfers.......only Southampton port transfers.

If the ship does not offer an airport transfer, can anyone suggest a reliable transfer method?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Edited by Fletch1

If this is your own flight then I would suggest that a 13:00 flight might be a bit tight. The transfer time from port to airport is around an hour on a good day and Rome traffic can be unpredictable - personally I would allow at least an hour and a half. European international flights are now asking for at least three hours check-in time and you also have to allow for the possibility of the ship being late into port and possibly having to negotiate customs/immigration.

If wishing to arrange your own transfer then Rome Cabs is highly recommended (https://www.romecabs.com/)

Personally I would be looking at a flight mid to late afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Have you booked flights with Cunard? The Mediterranean fly cruises I've done in the past included flights and transfers. 

Otherwise various transfers have been offered for booking on board. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I was doing my own thing, but that is well worth considering. Can you purchase your flights with Cunard after your initial booking?

I was hoping transfers will be offered on board during the cruise.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

If this is your own flight then I would suggest that a 13:00 flight might be a bit tight. The transfer time from port to airport is around an hour on a good day and Rome traffic can be unpredictable - personally I would allow at least an hour and a half. European international flights are now asking for at least three hours check-in time and you also have to allow for the possibility of the ship being late into port and possibly having to negotiate customs/immigration.

If wishing to arrange your own transfer then Rome Cabs is highly recommended (https://www.romecabs.com/)

Thanks for the quick reply.

All your points are very good and well worth considering. Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking too the the 1.00pm departure might be a bit tight, so I might re-assess. 

Thanks for the link to romecabs too.

45 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

Can you purchase your flights with Cunard after your initial booking?

Don't know - but there is nothing to lose by asking.

45 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

I was hoping transfers will be offered on board during the cruise.

For me that would be too late and I would need to have a "plan B"

Where will you be flying to? Some operators flying between European Capitals (including London) offer several flights per day, which might allow a last minute rebooking to earlier or later flight.

If you are heading for Australia you probably won't have that option.

3 hours is good advice for safety but be aware that some airlines won't open check-in/bag drop until 2 hours before flight time. At Nice British Airways don't open desks until 2 hours unless they are already open from an earlier flight. easyJet sometimes refuse access to bag drop until 2 hours before if there are lots of folk still to process for earlier flights. However better waiting an extra hour than missing a flight. If leaving the EU you normally need to go through passport control, which might have a long queue if there are lots of folk that are not EU citizens and need passports stamped.

I came across this transfer service, although they only seem to be taking bookings for May 13th, not May 27th. Departures are at 09:30 and 09:40:

https://www.civitatis.com/en/civitavecchia/fiumicino-airport-shuttle/

I've no experience of them. I note from reviews that you need to take the port shuttle to where their shuttle picks up.

• Like 1

We are on the same cruise... our flights (to London) are when all the others are... midday to 1:00pm so the airlines think this is an ideal time or they would not have all their departures then. I suspect cruise traffic is their main midday market.  

We have yet to check if Cunard offer transfers... I would imagine so as they do for Heathrow from Southampton which is a longer distance... we have use the Cunard transfer often for that and they say you can book flights from 12:30 pm onwards... it leaves the quayside at 9ish. So I would imagine FCO is fine for 12:30 pm onwards.

Thanks for the tip re romecabs.com

16 hours ago, david63 said:

I've also used Rome Cabs (they don't use cabs... just their name),  they use nice Mercedes and nicely dressed drivers.   Driver have always been early, courteous and attentive to detail.    Never had a failure with them even when I was delayed.   They waited and still got me to my destination on time. 

They will be just outside the terminal with a sign with you name in hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and will take it all on board. We need to fly to Athens, which is about a 2 hour flight away, so will suss out Cunard to see if that is possible with their flights. We are actually in Athens on the the cruise four days earlier! 

• 1 month later...

Just happened to see this thread looking for something else. RomeCabs and some of the the other car services have a permit to come into the port area. They can pick up right as you walk off the ship, very easy, and probably quicker than waiting for everyone to get on a Cunard-arranged bus. Probably more cost-effective for 2 or more traveling together too. We have used them before, going from the port to Rome, and Rome hotel to airport,  we were very satisfied. Plan to use them again later this year on a QV cruise that starts from Civitavecchia (from Rome hotel, spending time in the city pre-cruise)

• Like 2

BTW, Cunard offers a transfer from the ship to FCO for... $45 pp. I just booked it last week with Cunard (US) for our May QV cruise.  We have a 1:00 pm flight to London and no issue. And we booked our air so it is available for anyone.  We prefer this as the disembarkation will be timed for this rather than figuring out meeting times for a taxi etc. 

• Like 1