Night light in Nieuw Amsterdam cabin

mleng

My family will be on Nieuw Amsterdam in 2 days.  We will be in an Oceanview cabin on Deck 4.  I am wondering if the bathroom has some kind of built-in night light?  If not, I will have to pack one.  

Can you not simply close the door, then turn the light off?  After using the bathroom, turn off the light, open the door and go back to bed?  I don't get up during the night but I do sleep with the drapes wide open - certainly there's enough light to get back to the bed without an artificial light (my assumption).

Sue/WDW1972

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Isn't the Nieuw the same class as the Rotterdam?  If so, we were in an Ocean View cabin.  There is no night light.  

No, Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature Class which is the older class of ship.  Rotterdam is the newest HAL ship.  It's Pinnacle Class.

I love the Nieuw Amsterdam but don't remember about the night light.  Have a great trip!

~Nancy

While the nightlight configuration varies from ship to ship and cabin class to cabin class the bathrooms all have a “shaver outlet” and we have adopted a policy of traveling with a nightlight that works great in all of the ships’ bathrooms. We were just on Zaandam and there’s a motion sensor nightlight outside the bathrooms but no light inside so it was perfect. Traveling with one also works in hotels so we don’t leave home without one now. Also, as a reminder to take the nightlight with us we leave a note in the safe with our passport as a reminder to take it. 

13 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

certainly there's enough light to get back to the bed without an artificial light (my assumption).

There's a light by the floor right outside the bathroom that's triggered automatically that's bright enough to help you get back to your bed. Finding your way to the bathroom is a different matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the Nieuw Amsterdam trip and wanted to provide an update to my own question.  Yes there was a motion activated light under the dresser/closet by the door.  However, the light was not ideal for what we needed.  First of all, it only stays on for 10 or maybe 15 seconds.  Basically, it goes off while you are still in the bathroom.  Secondly, the light is actually quite bright (when the room is dark) and is visible to the person sleeping in the bed.  Not a good thing if you are trying to not wake up the other person.

So for us, we brought a night light and plugged it into the bathroom Shaver outlet. It's much dimmer than the motion sensor light, but that's enough for one to see and not trip over things. Then we put towels on the floor to block out some of the motion-sensor light, but leaves just enough light to see the path back to the bed.

Also, two valuable FYI:

1. The bathroom door on NA can be opened completely and be held in place by a strong magnet on the wall.  We left the door open at night so that it's easier for these middle of the night pee trips.

2. The shaving outlet has a toggle switch to choose between 120 and 220 V.  Make sure you select the 120V if you don't want to burn out the night light. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2