Any special seating arrangements for solo cruisers in the restaurant?

gailellen12

No.

If you are on Viking Ocean, you have the options in all the restaurants of asking for a table for two and sit by yourself or ask for a table for 6 or 8 and see who is seated with you.

Just talk to the host if you want new table companions each night.  Many people want to meet new folks.

• Like 2

We found the option of being seated with several other groups of two to be enjoyable. With groups of four, their tendency was to speak among themselves in spite of efforts to broaden the conversation.

If they are especially boorish, you can just get up and leave.  Been there, done that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I also think that as a solo traveller, you must be the one stepping forward and starting conversation, keeping conversation going etc.  If you are too introverted, then they may just speak among themselves.

I think key here is to ask the host for tables where people are ASKING to sit with others.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think key here is to ask the host for tables where people are ASKING to sit with others.  

THIS and I'd mention that when getting to the 'desk' mentioning "I'd like to share a table" has always meant we met new and interesting folks... Or as my 6 yea daughter once said: friends I haven't met yet.

Our last VO cruise we enjoyed most nights at a large table with new friends. BTW this was a 'common thing' when we began cruising back around 1982 .... big table, multiple groups .. encourage fellowship (and when it didn't work out you went to the mart'd, slipped him a few and got your table changed!!!!)

Edited by Capt_BJ

You could also just approach someone to see if you could join them. This happened to me during afternoon tea one afternoon; my husband was getting a massage at the time, so I was sitting alone and a nice gentleman asked if he could join me. He was gracious, not pushy, and we had a good chat. His wife, who was supposed to accompany him on the trip, had passed away. So he decided to go by himself, which I thought showed real courage.

While we were talking, a handful of other pax stopped by to talk with him; he had apparently managed to meet quite a few folks on the ship who seemed genuinely happy to include him at meals and other events. I was impressed.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

You could also just approach someone to see if you could join them. This happened to me during afternoon tea one afternoon; my husband was getting a massage at the time, so I was sitting alone and a nice gentleman asked if he could join me. He was gracious, not pushy, and we had a good chat. His wife, who was supposed to accompany him on the trip, had passed away. So he decided to go by himself, which I thought showed real courage.

While we were talking, a handful of other pax stopped by to talk with him; he had apparently managed to meet quite a few folks on the ship who seemed genuinely happy to include him at meals and other events. I was impressed.

You can start this practice in the World Cafe at Breakfast and Lunch.  We often find travelling as a couple that the tables for 2 along the windows are always taken, so we just take a table for four.  We have had many times singles, and couples come and ask if they can sit with us and then strike up conversation.  We have never said no to anyone.  It does however take YOU doing this to make it work.  Too often I have seen a single cruiser come in and search out a table for two where they can sit alone, when they could have sat with us.

Posted (edited)

The OP asked if there were special seating arrangements for solo travelers. The answer is no.

Everyone has assumed they are looking to share a table. Maybe they are looking for a secluded table? Just a thought.

One one cruise we encountered a guest at an excursion luncheon who had a panic attack when seated with a large group. DW later met him on the ship and he explained he was a solo traveler and had a fear of crowds.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It does however take YOU doing this to make it work.  Too often I have seen a single cruiser come in and search out a table for two where they can sit alone, when they could have sat with us.

Actually, as a couple, it is US who offer, then the person on their own knows they’re welcome.  If we see someone look for a table, we’ll say ‘you’re welcome to join us, if you wish’.  I feel that is far more welcoming.  It's scary as a solo to ‘ask’ especially when there is sadly a reluctance by some couples who feel (bizarrely) scared/threatened by someone in their own…  Well, neither of us is like that, and we offer 🙂 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Actually, as a couple, it is US who offer, then the person on their own knows they’re welcome.  If we see someone look for a table, we’ll say ‘you’re welcome to join us, if you wish’.  I feel that is far more welcoming.  It's scary as a solo to ‘ask’ especially when there is sadly a reluctance by some couples who feel (bizarrely) scared/threatened by someone in their own…  Well, neither of us is like that, and we offer 🙂 

Yes, that is absolutely the way that it should be, but what you are doing is not common practice by everyone.  I am simply stating that if you are travelling solo, you have a certain responsibility to your own enjoyment of the cruise or tour you are on.  I am simply stating that as a solo traveller you must be comfortable putting yourself out there.

• Like 1