Thoughts? MultiCity ATL->MUC, PRG->ATL

jdk-atlga

Hi All - I am soliciting for thoughts and opinions regarding a multi-city in Sept 2024.

For an upcoming river cruise and PRG stay, I will be outbound ATL -> MUC on Sept 16 and inbound PRG -> ATL on Oct 2. I have several airline/flight options at approximately the same price, but I'm stuck in analysis paralysis.

Option: Delta Air: Comfort+ nonstop ATL-> MUC, then DL/KLM/AF PE one-stop PRG -> ATL... Pro: Nonstop flight over, Con: lower class outbound, connections in AMS or CDG

Option: AA/BA: ATL-CLT-MUC on AA PE, PRG-LHR-ATL on BA PE...Pro: just one stop each way at PE status, Con: I'm not sure with AA PE.

Option: JB/SQ/LH: ATL-JFK-MUC in Business for JetBlue, Singapore, Lufthansa. Same back from PRG...Pro: Business Class both ways with lounges, Con: more connections across multiple airlines, long layover in JFK on return

Other options: UA/LH (at PE, but connections are funky from/to ATL)

Like I said, the pricing and duration times are not too dissimilar. I value comfort of seat (especially long flights) and overall "feel". My wife is more cost conscious. I have been OCD on this comparison for months, going back and forth. 

Thoughts/Opinions, especially for those able to compare airlines/services and connections? For all its business, ATL is not an easy international airport to different locations.

Best, jdk

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

SQ business for the TATL segments.

Don't even put anything else into the comparison.  Especially if the costs are similar.

You can thank me later.

Thanks - Actually, with JetBlue, the SQ, then Lufthansa business, actually comes in cheaper than the PE versions of the others.

- jdk

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

SQ business for the TATL segments.

Don't even put anything else into the comparison.  Especially if the costs are similar.

You can thank me later.

Follow-up: Do you think that FRA layover of 1h35m in Frankfurt, same terminal, is sufficient when going from SQ *from JFK) to LH (MUC)? This is also the case on the inbound - tight connection from SQ to/from LH.

Best, jdk

Option: JB/SQ/LH: ATL-JFK-MUC in Business for JetBlue, Singapore, Lufthansa. Same back from PRG...Pro: Business Class both ways with lounges, Con: more connections across multiple airlines, long layover in JFK on return.

JFK-MUC and v.v. will be operated by Lufthansa; the Singapore designation would only be a codeshare flight number.  At present that route is designated to be operated with an Airbus A380, presumably with its older 2-2-2 business class seating.  It's far from the most modern business class product, but IMO any flat-bed business class offering over the pond would be better than a PE experience.  

2 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Option: JB/SQ/LH: ATL-JFK-MUC in Business for JetBlue, Singapore, Lufthansa. Same back from PRG...Pro: Business Class both ways with lounges, Con: more connections across multiple airlines, long layover in JFK on return.

JFK-MUC and v.v. will be operated by Lufthansa; the Singapore designation would only be a codeshare flight number.  At present that route is designated to be operated with an Airbus A380, presumably with its older 2-2-2 business class seating.  It's far from the most modern business class product, but IMO any flat-bed business class offering over the pond would be better than a PE experience.  

Thanks for the input. Actually the SQ leg, JFK-FRA, is on Singapore Airlines SQ25. Then a 1h35m layover connection to LH104 from FRA to MUC. The SQ flight is a B777-300ER from JFK-FRA. The LH flight is A320 from FRA-MUC. I'm definitely leaning to this over the other options.

Best, jdk

12 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

JFK-MUC and v.v. will be operated by Lufthansa; the Singapore designation would only be a codeshare flight number. 

JFK-FRA will be on SQ.  It's one of their fifth freedom routes, and an underappreciated gem.

SQ also has fifth freedom for:

SFO-HKG

LAX-NRT

IAH-MAN

47 minutes ago, jdk-atlga said:

Follow-up: Do you think that FRA layover of 1h35m in Frankfurt, same terminal, is sufficient when going from SQ *from JFK) to LH (MUC)? This is also the case on the inbound - tight connection from SQ to/from LH.

See if you can manually select a set of flights with a longer connection.  LH runs a dozen or so flights between FRA and MUC each day, so you likely can get one with a longer connect.  No luck with the return, as you would be on the first flight out of PRG.  The good news is that the aircraft will have been there overnight, so likely no departure delays.

I'm aware that JFK -FRA can be on SQ metal.  I was referring to the OP's post with JFK-MUC. 

I dislike FRA intensely so am probably not a good source on that front.

4 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I'm aware that JFK -FRA can be on SQ metal.  I was referring to the OP's post with JFK-MUC. 

I dislike FRA intensely so am probably not a good source on that front.

No slam intended.  I was just extrapolating from the OP mentioning B6, SQ and LH for the option.  He managed to leave out the one connection point.

In any case, those SQ fifth freedoms are a real winner, with some attractive price points.  Often that IAH-MAN makes for an excellent way into the UK, rather than the usual Heathrow routings.

I have done pretty much all those options from PRG to ATL.

In your case I would tip the scale to the AA/BA option.

Americans PE class is a domestic first-class seat.  I do recommend the bulkhead.  While I tend to give more kudos to AA PE class over BA, I wouldn’t sell BA short.  It’s still a good seat and a far cry better than economy.  Again, I would still recommend bulkhead.

East bound having the long haul going directly into Munich is a nice option.  Returning the morning flight out of PRG has always been hassle free for me and you arrive and depart from terminal 3 at LHR (when I traveled, however I know this can change)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Host Mike said:

In your case I would tip the scale to the AA/BA option.

Americans PE class is a domestic first-class seat.

And you would prefer that over a Singapore business class seat?

sq.jpg

IMO, flying intercontinental, it's almost all about the seat.  Yes, the service fills in, but give me a seat that let's me sleep and relax.  And in this case, who thinks that AA or BA has service that will beat SQ?

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

I have decided (and booked) the SQ option. Yes, there are more pieces to it, but I’m also very interested in the overall experience. I have never flown on SQ before and I’m really looking forward to it. For the others, given that I only travel a couple of times a year (retired, so it comes down to the places to visit), I know what to expect. And, if it isn’t wonderful, I can always blame FlyerTalker (not really).

best,jdk

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:26 PM, jdk-atlga said:

And, if it isn’t wonderful, I can always blame FlyerTalker (not really).

Feel free to lob any complaint my way.  It's one of the ways that I learn.

You have a lot of time to get the details on SQ seats and service.  You will want to look at the "Book the Cook", where you can order specialty meals in advance.

The one drawback on this route is that SQ doesn't operate their own lounge at JFK, so you would use the Air India Lounge in T4.  This barely beats the gate area, so use the Centurion Lounge if you have access.

Let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Feel free to lob any complaint my way.  It's one of the ways that I learn.

You have a lot of time to get the details on SQ seats and service.  You will want to look at the "Book the Cook", where you can order specialty meals in advance.

The one drawback on this route is that SQ doesn't operate their own lounge at JFK, so you would use the Air India Lounge in T4.  This barely beats the gate area, so use the Centurion Lounge if you have access.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks again for your help and insights. Since I have just 2h27m connection from JetBlue to SQ in JFK, outbound, something tells me that I won't have much time for the lounge. That said, I do have a very lengthy layover (6h45m) in JFK on the inbound (again, SQ to JetBlue), so I will probably track down some lounge (Priority Pass?, other (I don't have access to Centurion at this time)?) to wait around in. By and large, excepting the long JFK layover on the inbound, I have a feeling that I will be hoofing it to make some connections.

Best, jdk

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up on this venture and a vent: I have booked my flights directly with Singapore Airlines - easy. The flights "were" B6 (ATL-JFK), SQ (JFK-FRA), LH (FRA-MUC) and return LH (PRG-FRA), SQ (FRA-JFK), B6 (JFK-ATL). I say "were" because LH cancelled the AM flights of the return PRG-FRA flight, meaning that the SQ connection was now impossible (Hard to catch a flight with a LH front leaving its PRG origin after SQ leaves FRA). I worked (nearly 3 hours of online chat) with SQ to rearrange the schedule, with an overnight hotel stay now in FRA to catch the SQ flights, a day after the original. I was very impressed with SQ Service Team for patience and friendliness, which took a lot of work to fix.

This is the second straight time that LH has rescheduled/cancelled flights on me. They might be a good airline but I don't think that they are great or for me anymore. 

Best, jdk

This is actually a good time to remind folks that for international itineraries, you can have up to a 24 hour (or next flight, whichever is first) connection and you do NOT "break" the through fare pricing for your itinerary.  A stop of longer than 24 hours and you have a "stopover", which generally breaks it into two separate pricings.

This can be quite advantageous...you can get time at your connection and don't have to rush for a flight.  And lots of other options as well.

This is also in addition to those airlines that have "free stopover" programs, where you can spend several days at their main hub at no additional air cost.  Examples include Dublin, Lisbon, Doha, Dubai, Seoul, Reykjavik, Singapore, Fiji, Tahiti and other spots.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

A stop of longer than 24 hours and you have a "stopover", which generally breaks it into two separate pricings.

Are you sure about that? You are often made to pay a higher fare if you have an en-route stopover, but it won't necessarily result in being fared using two separate end-on-end fares.

It becomes end-on-end after 24 hours, UNLESS the original fare allows for the stopover, either at no cost or for a designated fee per the fare rules.  That second part might be what you are thinking, as the stopover price is already designated and that keeps it from being end-on-end.

For when the fare rules do not permit a stopover, it defaults to e-o-e.

Exactly. If you plan a "stopover" (ie more than 24 hours):

1. sometimes you can use the same fare as with a shorter connection, because that fare already allows stopovers;
  2. sometimes you can simply use a different through fare that allows stopovers, which may or may not be more expensive than the original fare used for a shorter connection;
  3. sometimes you'll be offered two end-on-end fares combined, if there are two such fares that can be combined on the same ticket and that's cheaper than a through fare; and
  4. sometimes (but rarely) you'll have to buy two separate tickets because there's no valid through fare that allows a stopover and you also can't get any viable combination of separate fares.

You really have to try it out and see. And it can make a difference, because if you have two separate fares their rules may be different, and your trip could in effect be governed by the more restrictive set of rules.

• Like 1

Great information. Thankfully our FRA layover is just 13 hours, but this is great information for future trips. I may want to look at taking longer "restful" layovers when provided within the same fare, using points/CC bonuses for possible airport hotels in that layover. With ATL not being a great international connected airport, this "stopover/layover" could be a great way to arrive home more relaxed.

Best, jdk