Boarding Time

tfg

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Depends on whom you ask.

I'd say getting stricter, others may say piffle and turn up when you want.

It often depends  if one has CWC loyalty - I have provided clear concise examples (in two previous threads on this subject)  of the procedure/s that are in place at Southampton for Diamond/Platinum - Via a reliable source, a former colleague of mine now working almost daily at the cruise terminals.

To the Author; just be sensible with the time you intend to turn up - An hour before your original 'check-in time' ( assuming that it is after 13.00 which is often the usual embarkation time)  is not going to have you turned away and asked to stand outside.   Those working at the terminals appreciate often people may have had to rely on public transport - it often woks both ways , many arrive well after their allocated check-in time . 😉     

• Thanks 1

If boarding is delayed for some reason, so that the terminal becomes crowded, you will have to wait outside until the Grills start boarding. This happened briefly with our cruise in August.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

It often depends  if one has CWC loyalty - I have provided clear concise examples (in two previous threads on this subject)  of the procedure/s that are in place at Southampton for Diamond/Platinum - Via a reliable source, a former colleague of mine now working almost daily at the cruise terminals.

To the Author; just be sensible with the time you intend to turn up - An hour before your original 'check-in time' ( assuming that it is after 13.00 which is often the usual embarkation time)  is not going to have you turned away and asked to stand outside.   Those working at the terminals appreciate often people may have had to rely on public transport - it often woks both ways , many arrive well after their allocated check-in time . 😉     

tfg, is a Cunard newbie and will have no CWC status, hence my reply.

He/she might have priority status but that's unclear. Those who turn up whenever they want eg very early will not gain entrance to the terminal, as they did in the past. Others  with no experience of the tightening up of terminal admissions, may still say, turn up when you want but, as you say, be sensible.

The short answer to the question is that at Southampton try not arrive more than half an hour before your allotted time unless you are prepared to stand in a queue outside, no matter what the weather.

They had people who had turned up early waiting outside in December when I was on QV. It was not busy but they were checking boarding passes thoroughly and only priority were allowed in and those with relevant boarding  times. 

23 hours ago, exlondoner said:

If boarding is delayed for some reason, so that the terminal becomes crowded, you will have to wait outside until the Grills start boarding. This happened briefly with our cruise in August.

And what time of the day/morning was that ? 

2 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

And what time of the day/morning was that ? 

A morning is part of a day, isn’t it? We got there just before 12.30, were directed straight to check in, and, as we were checking in for QG, the Grills were called to go on board. So we swept inwards, and, as we approached the security area, I  saw people beginning to be ushered into the Terminal.

Our personal experience at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal was only different last July.

Being Diamond does have it advantage and perks to boarding earlier like last September in 22

We just arrival a little earlier at the terminal and go with the flow. The normal advance time boarding is about 20 minutes. Maybe we are lucky.

I am Diamond and travelling with a Cunard newbie; we each have our own cabins (next door to each other) and separate booking references. 

For embarkation and disembarkation, where we will arrive together and depart together, how much does my "aura of privilege" cover my travelling companion?  Can we both check in on a priority line?  Can we both get early disembarkation if we are being picked up by the same car service vehicle? 

I am asking about what is realistically possible, which may or may not be the same as what the rules say.  I understand that on board, my friend will be deprived of various wine tastings, CWC parties etc.; my concern is primarily about boarding and departing.

2 minutes ago, rsquare said:

I am Diamond and travelling with a Cunard newbie; we each have our own cabins (next door to each other) and separate booking references. 

For embarkation and disembarkation, where we will arrive together and depart together, how much does my "aura of privilege" cover my travelling companion?  Can we both check in on a priority line?  Can we both get early disembarkation if we are being picked up by the same car service vehicle? 

I am asking about what is realistically possible, which may or may not be the same as what the rules say.  I understand that on board, my friend will be deprived of various wine tastings, CWC parties etc.; my concern is primarily about boarding and departing.

I think they will accommodate you together. How stupid would it look to reject your companion? For disembarkation, s/he may well be allotted a different time, but, if you leave together, I don’t think they will notice.

• Like 1

May well be allotted different disembarkation times and as such, bags in the baggage hall just might, not have been unloaded in time.

As luggage ties are colour/numbered, it wouldn't hurt to ask for extra 'Diamond' colour coded tags so all bags have the same ties and will therefore be offloaded at the same time and will be in the same area of the baggage hall.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think they will accommodate you together. How stupid would it look to reject your companion? For disembarkation, s/he may well be allotted a different time, but, if you leave together, I don’t think they will notice.

Years ago, before our friends reached Platinum, I asked at Southampton if they might join us (Diamond) at embarkation. The woman was shocked that I would even ask, and waved us all in together. NYC at West side piers (before Brooklyn terminal was built), the door guards did ask our friends to wait but offered to let us go in. We didn't have to wait long, fortunately, but it wasn't a nice start.

They never seem to check color tags at disembarkation. (HAL usually does)

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

May well be allotted different disembarkation times and as such, bags in the baggage hall just might, not have been unloaded in time.

As luggage ties are colour/numbered, it wouldn't hurt to ask for extra 'Diamond' colour coded tags so all bags have the same ties and will therefore be offloaded at the same time and will be in the same area of the baggage hall.

I did that on a Canada cruise so that the two of us could get our bags easily and be on our way. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

That can be done informally, which I thought about.  I will have two bags and my friend will have one; I usually get four tags in the envelope with disembarkation instructions, so our bags can be together.