Suite Boarding Port Everglades. Does boarding time matter?

I’m not in a suite and had a boarding time of 2pm on Odyssey. Arrived at 11am and was on board by 11:30, no questions asked. I am Diamond, so that was going to be my excuse but zero questions or raised eyebrows. 

There's boarding time and then there's arrival time, which is basically the time that the terminal opens up and you are allowed to come inside and wait until you board.  The time that you are assigned at check-in is actually arrival time, not boarding time.

When you are in a suite or Pinnacle, you are basically permitted to enter the terminal whenever it opens, regardless of what your published "arrival/boarding" time says...which, historically, is somewhere between 10-10:30 AM.  Then some time after that (usually not very long if things are going smoothly) they will begin boarding and again Suites and Pinnacles are usually allowed to begin boarding first (wedding parties will be first on if there is a wedding party).  Next will usually be The Key and then general boarding (GenPop) in whichever order they designate (usually first come, first to board)...although I think some ports are still boarding by C&A status.  Not sure about that one.  Most ports have gone away from that.

It has been my experience that Suites/Pinns don't usually really get any kind of head start in boarding,  They basically allow both Suites/Pinns and GenPop to start boarding at the same time, but from different directions (different lines).  It's usually a race to see who will actually get to the gangway first....but you will still be among the first to board if you are in a suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

There's boarding time and then there's arrival time, which is basically the time that the terminal opens up and you are allowed to come inside and wait until you board.  The time that you are assigned at check-in is actually arrival time, not boarding time.

When you are in a suite or Pinnacle, you are basically permitted to enter the terminal whenever it opens, regardless of what your published "arrival/boarding" time says...which, historically, is somewhere between 10-10:30 AM.  Then some time after that (usually not very long if things are going smoothly) they will begin boarding and again Suites and Pinnacles are usually allowed to begin boarding first (wedding parties will be first on if there is a wedding party).  Next will usually be The Key and then general boarding (GenPop) in whichever order they designate (usually first come, first to board)...although I think some ports are still boarding by C&A status.  Not sure about that one.  Most ports have gone away from that.

It has been my experience that Suites/Pinns don't usually really get any kind of head start in boarding,  They basically allow both Suites/Pinns and GenPop to start boarding at the same time, but from different directions (different lines).  It's usually a race to see who will actually get to the gangway first....but you will still be among the first to board if you are in a suite.

Very well stated. Not that you needed my seal of approval but I like your post. 

When we sail in a suite at FLL we are able to sit in suite section with Pinns. We have all been called and boarded together. 
Might just be a fluke or we get the one “ gate keeper “ that does it this way. 

Be safe. 

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 1

Depending on the ship, most start boarding at 11:00.  At Port Everglades, we start with Star/Suites/Pinn from the suite waiting area.  Once that is clear we start with Key.  Once that is done, wheelchairs and  general boarding.  General boarding is first come first serve.  Usually within 20 minutes to a half hour after we start boarding, once you get upstairs you will board.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Betsynh said:

I’m not in a suite and had a boarding time of 2pm on Odyssey. Arrived at 11am and was on board by 11:30, no questions asked. I am Diamond, so that was going to be my excuse but zero questions or raised eyebrows. 

Diamond and or any other C&A tier (except pins) means nothing to board

• Like 2