Best snorkeling tour

Mommaguti

My hubby and I will be on Regal Princess, at Roatan Feb 8.  We are interested in some amazing snorkeling at an affordable price.  We enjoy coral and sea life, not very interested in shipwrecks.  Can anyone recommend a tour for us?

On 1/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, Mommaguti said:

My hubby and I will be on Regal Princess, at Roatan Feb 8.  We are interested in some amazing snorkeling at an affordable price.  We enjoy coral and sea life, not very interested in shipwrecks.  Can anyone recommend a tour for us?

I highly recommend Roatan Getaway tours.  We just used them and they were a small group (just my husband and I for their 3 stop snorkeling).  

PC300024.JPG

PC300033.JPG

PC300038_edit_1703979408435.JPG

PC300050.JPG

• Like 3

Grab a taxi and head to West Bay for the most amazing snorkeling right from the beach. It's where everyone seems to go for snorkeling. It will be a lot cheaper. You can rent/reserve chairs along the beach at the different beach clubs as well if you'd like. If you NEED to have someone take you snorkeling, there's people that walk up and down the beach that will also take you on a snorkeling tour right there and show you around the area. 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Grab a taxi and head to West Bay for the most amazing snorkeling right from the beach. It's where everyone seems to go for snorkeling. It will be a lot cheaper. You can rent/reserve chairs along the beach at the different beach clubs as well if you'd like. If you NEED to have someone take you snorkeling, there's people that walk up and down the beach that will also take you on a snorkeling tour right there and show you around the area. 🙂 

Have you taken a taxi and managed to get one back without pre-arranging? 

We prefer West End but not sure I would risk finding  a waiting taxi on a cruise ship day. Not my favorite island for independent travel.

21 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Have you taken a taxi and managed to get one back without pre-arranging? 

We prefer West End but not sure I would risk finding  a waiting taxi on a cruise ship day. Not my favorite island for independent travel.

Usually when we go to Roatan, we go diving and have ask the Dive operator to arrange a driver for us to and from. I do know that the times we have been there we have been approached many times asking if we needed a ride back to the cruise ship. So, I assumed there are plenty of taxi drivers waiting to take people back. The parking lot where the taxi drivers usually park is always full. I don't know if they are waiting on people they brought there or just looking to take someone back. 🤷‍♀️ 

I've snorkeled with Roatan Ocean Adventures probably 5 or 6 times total. His Multi Stop Snorkel Hop tour is I believe about $70 pp. Herbert is a native islander, marine biologist and takes you to wonderful snorkel spots. The last is usually the drift snorkel along some amazing ridge and valley reefs beside the wall. Small local company, the employees really love to show off their reef and take great care of the guests. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 8:35 PM, sckal said:

I've snorkeled with Roatan Ocean Adventures probably 5 or 6 times total. His Multi Stop Snorkel Hop tour is I believe about $70 pp. Herbert is a native islander, marine biologist and takes you to wonderful snorkel spots. The last is usually the drift snorkel along some amazing ridge and valley reefs beside the wall. Small local company, the employees really love to show off their reef and take great care of the guests. 

We just did that drift snorkel with Roatan Getaway and it is truly amazing.  1000x better than taking a little boat from West Bay (I've done both areas,).

• Thanks 1

jean87510 which tour did you book with Roatan Getaway? It’s not obvious to me on the website.  

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We just did that drift snorkel with Roatan Getaway and it is truly amazing.  1000x better than taking a little boat from West Bay (I've done both areas,).

Edited by Mommaguti

• 4 weeks later...

The Roatan Getaway Tours sounds awesome. Thanks for that recommendation!

If you're looking to do something from the beach, we went to Tabyana Beach Resort (West Bay) with a shore excursion and then found Cory Bennett, a snorkel tour guide on the property. There is a snorkel shack near the BBQ lunch area...easy to find. It was last year in May 2023, and he took us out on a private snorkel tour of the reef right off shore for an hour (actually a little longer). I've attached his card and a short video.

There were many people going out and snorkeling on their own and we have done that before also. However, having Cory as our guide was worth every penny. He also takes photos and video for your group and sends you a link for download. I can't recommend him more highly. I wish I could remember exactly what he charged for our group but I can't...sorry. His email is listed on his card below.

Cory Bennett.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 9:52 PM, mitsugirly said:

Do you recall the  approximate taxi fare to the beach area?  Deciding if it is best to catch a cab from the ports, or hire a driver.

Thanks