Upgrade to a balcony room that is handicapped accessible

Has anyone been able to upgrade to a handicapped accessible balcony room? 
I was told if we have a handicapped accessible room and sign up for an upgrade for a balcony room that there is no guarantee it would be handicapped accessible.???

6 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

I was told if we have a handicapped accessible room and sign up for an upgrade for a balcony room that there is no guarantee it would be handicapped accessible.???

There's no guarantee that a wheelchair accessible balcony stateroom is available to upgrade you into. 

1 minute ago, Royals Carol said:

That doesn’t seem fair to those who are “really” handicapped. I hate to use this word but it feels like discrimination . Thank you so much for you time replying to my question.!

How would you know that the higher category cabins are not occupied by handicapped passengers.

• Like 1

That doesn’t seem fair to those who are “really” handicapped. I hate to use this word but it feels like discrimination . Thank you so much for you time replying to my question.!

I assume you're talking about bidding for an upgrade. The bidding rules are quite clear -- you don't get to pick your cabin. No discrimination at all, it's your choice to bid.

• Like 1

If the number of scooters on a cruise ship are any indication. There are definitely more handicapped people than handicapped rooms. 

If this is what matters to you, probably best not to upgrade. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

Really handicapped? What is your definition of “really” handicapped? Or is it just anyone YOU deem worthy? You should think about spending time with people who have experienced discrimination, cause this ain’t it 

• Like 3

I assume most people just put in for an upgrade and go about their business. Unless you’ve had a spinal cord injury and is quadriplegic, you wouldn’t understand. I apologize for bothering everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

I assume most people just put in for an upgrade and go about their business.

I'm still confused. Are you talking about bidding for an upgrade, or just asking and hoping?  Either way, how can anyone compare discrimination to not getting an upgrade on a cruise ship? You seem to have a unique definition of discrimination.

This whole discussion seems ridiculous to me.

7 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

That doesn’t seem fair to those who are “really” handicapped. I hate to use this word but it feels like discrimination .

It's not discrimination. You had the option to book a wheelchair accessible balcony stateroom when you first booked. You chose a lower category and hoped to upgrade. 

I understand the frustration of needing a wheelchair accessible stateroom (for someone else) and there are none available. That doesn't mean that they are taken by those who do not need one. I am one of the more outspoken forum members who is against people booking a wheelchair accessible stateroom when one is neither needed nor wanted. 

In this situation, it is unknown if there are even any that are available. It is unknown if they were booked by people who do not need one. It is unknown if your bid would even win. 

9 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

I assume most people just put in for an upgrade and go about their business. Unless you’ve had a spinal cord injury and is quadriplegic, you wouldn’t understand. I apologize for bothering everyone. 

Depending on ship, not every stateroom category has a wheelchair accessible option. There is a limit to what is available. If someone wants or needs something, they should book it. The assumption that "....I can upgrade from an interior or ocean view to a balcony..." is too much of a risk to take. NCL won't leave wheelchair accessible staterooms just in case someone wants to upgrade into one. 

In the future, book what you want/need and don't rely on bidding or upgrading. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

I assume most people just put in for an upgrade and go about their business.

No, some people put in for an upgrade to an available cabin, most people IMHO just pay for the cabin they want when they book. While NCL doesn't have a mechanism to specifically bid on a handicapped cabin, there is no indication that there are empty handicapped cabins available.  If you read through the discussions on bidding, you will find quite a few recommendations for people to watch prices and if they drop, just pay for the upgrade - which in many cases is cheaper than bidding in the first place - and you are guaranteed the cabin you choose.  Have you even looked to see what's available?

I’m sure it would to you. 

Wow. Assume much? Be careful. You don't know me or my experiences. Karma is a female dog.

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for using the wrong words. I have heard people bragging about booking a handicapped accessible room that were not handicapped. I guess my frustration was coming through. Sorry!!

1 hour ago, Royals Carol said:

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for using the wrong words. I have heard people bragging about booking a handicapped accessible room that were not handicapped. I guess my frustration was coming through. Sorry!!

Why are you frustrated???  

We are not disabled, but have been assigned a handicap room with an upgrade twice. What would be unfair is for someone in a handicap inside room low balling a bid, and being given an upgrade over someone who had a better bid. 

• Like 1