Iona G401 - Live report

Eddie99

16 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We thought it best to just accept it quietly in case someone looked at it and realised they’d made a terrible mistake! 
As I said before, you’d think they might publicise their largesse

Absolutely. And well done - a really nice addition to what looks like a really nice cruise. Have a great time in the sunshine and warmth! 🌞

• Like 5

Hi Eddie

What an amazing gift I’m sure you will have a great cruise now. You might not remember much though lol. I am looking forward to your posts as we are on the Iona to the Canaries in a few weeks. Like yourselves we booked an outside cabin on deck 4 a change from our normal balcony cabins. On our last winter cruise we found that we hardly used the balcony and thought being closer to decks 6/7 would be more  useful than the sun decks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I forgot to say that, apparently, we didn’t set sail till late yesterday because Nicole Scherzinger was giving two performances, then disembarking in Southampton.  I don’t know her, at all, but one of our lunch companions was excited.  “You remember - she sang at the Coronation”. “No, didn’t see it” “Oh (disbelieving face 🙂)”

If I was on that cruise, I would be saying, "The bloody cheek of the lass; she's got her own ship to sing on, so why is she delaying mine"?😉

BTW - is yours billed as one of those Fat Club cruises?

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s the “bells & whistles” package, so any kind of tea or coffee, all soft drinks and juices,  water,  and 0% alcohol “alcohol” (beer, wine, spirits) are included.  I reckon a teetotaller could make good use, though it would be hard/impossible to glug through so much liquid to exhaust the daily allowance

Im sure you will manage hahaha, i hope P&O profits dont take too much of a hit , the share price has only just started to go up☺️

The free drinks package??

That's amazing??

Surely someone who really likes you has purchased it as a gift??

And for some reason their names were missed off the card you received?

So you can't even say "thank you"

It's a strange one for sure.  

I don't believe P and O would give that as a gift.  Instead they would give more OBC credit surely? If they felt they wanted to reward you?

Well, you can believe what you like, I’ve told you what happened

I don’t have rich friends who would splash out silly money like that.  The only possibilities were our children  but there’s no reason for them to have done it and they didn’t 

On the practical side I’m 99.5% certain one would need a booking reference to add a gift, or at least a cabin number? 
Proper report later …

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Well, you can believe what you like, I’ve told you what happened

I don’t have rich friends who would splash out silly money like that.  The only possibilities were our children  but there’s no reason for them to have done it and they didn’t 

On the practical side I’m 99.5% certain one would need a booking reference to add a gift, or at least a cabin number? 
Proper report later …

Totally believe it's happened 

Just can't think P and O would do this themselves without at least telling you why

Perhaps its just an error on their part?

But that's not your problem. I guess all you can do is enjoy it and wait to see if you ever find out why you were given it

Similarly we received a lovely hamper delivered this Christmas (but with no name tag). We had to contact quite a few people before realising who had sent it and being able to thank them. The lady who sent it was slightly miffed her name hadn't been added to the delivery tag Mistakes happen like that quite a lot.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Have a wonderful cruise Eddie99 and I’m sure you will with the lovely surprise gift from P&O .

We had one of those rooms on Iona and I loved sitting on the window seat watching the rough waves when we got them.

Look forward to reading about your adventures and pickles enjoy 🥂🍾

• Like 1

Depending on when you booked the cruise. P&O sent out emails to select passengers back in I believe April 22 with an offer of extra onboard credit and a free drinks package. If you booked this offer nothing appeared on your booking confirmation apart from a statement that you did not have to book the drinks package. The drinks package was for the ultimate package but when they changed the packages they were updated to the deluxe package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for reminding me of that

I recall the email, and we did book, but subsequently rearranged 

Honestly, I’ve booked/cancelled/rescheduled so many cruises over the last 47 months, and this is the first one we’ve actually taken, so I think you are right

Fair play to P&O though, because I remember phoning to cancel that one, and bemoaning the fact that I had a local flight & free booze but wasn’t able to take it - so that means they’ve kept the package somewhere on my record (scary thought!) ready to add-on whenever I popped my head over the parapet

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Depending on when you booked the cruise. P&O sent out emails to select passengers back in I believe April 22 with an offer of extra onboard credit and a free drinks package. If you booked this offer nothing appeared on your booking confirmation apart from a statement that you did not have to book the drinks package. The drinks package was for the ultimate package but when they changed the packages they were updated to the deluxe package.

Now that would explain everything!!

Right - yesterday

Well, it was dull, weather wise, with some fog.  Calm seas though, so I guess that the most important for Day 2 heading Madeira-wards

Our captain is Wesley Dunlop, who I’m sure we’ve sailed with before.  He has a nice reassuring captain’s voice when he does his 5 o’clock homily 

We explored up to Deck 8 but didn’t venture outside.  Lunch was a prawn/coconut Thai bowl in the Quays.  That place is a revelation - seems so much nicer than the traditional buffet (tho’ I haven’t been there on this cruise, so shouldn’t malign it)

Dinner was at The Beach House.  Steak on a rock for him, goat curry for me.  The steak is a nice idea but they really should address the air circulation/ventilation.  The atmosphere was thick with “nearly burning steak” and the poor soul next to us needed to go outside for fresh air as her asthma was aggravated.  Just a  non-alcoholic cocktail for me, but I finished the day with a Rhubarbellini in the Crow’s Nest.  Not a lot of drink for £8 or £9, whatever it is

Today - we have sun, and warmth!  We took a stroll outside after our coffee in Vistas and will go back out very soon to join the throng circuiting @ 8

A nasty incident as we had our coffee.  Someone fell in the corridor just before you enter Vistas from forward.  They screamed.  Everything worked well.  A Vistas staff member was there in seconds and an officer in no time thereafter. A wheelchair & two medical staff took only a minute or two and, as we left, a nurse was arriving bearing injection material.  Fortunately, for us, although close, our view was obscured and we didn’t rubberneck.  There were sufficient kindly passengers and appropriate staff.  I suspect a damaged ankle but that’s only a suspicion.  I wish them well

So, that’s the news and the drama.  Chef’s Table & *black tie* tonight.  I think we might meet Ollie Smith, who is advertised as being on board

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Right - yesterday

Well, it was dull, weather wise, with some fog.  Calm seas though, so I guess that the most important for Day 2 heading Madeira-wards

Our captain is Wesley Dunlop, who I’m sure we’ve sailed with before.  He has a nice reassuring captain’s voice when he does his 5 o’clock homily 

We explored up to Deck 8 but didn’t venture outside.  Lunch was a prawn/coconut Thai bowl in the Quays.  That place is a revelation - seems so much nicer than the traditional buffet (tho’ I haven’t been there on this cruise, so shouldn’t malign it)

Dinner was at The Beach House.  Steak on a rock for him, goat curry for me.  The steak is a nice idea but they really should address the air circulation/ventilation.  The atmosphere was thick with “nearly burning steak” and the poor soul next to us needed to go outside for fresh air as her asthma was aggravated.  Just a  non-alcoholic cocktail for me, but I finished the day with a Rhubarbellini in the Crow’s Nest.  Not a lot of drink for £8 or £9, whatever it is

Today - we have sun, and warmth!  We took a stroll outside after our coffee in Vistas and will go back out very soon to join the throng circuiting @ 8

A nasty incident as we had our coffee.  Someone fell in the corridor just before you enter Vistas from forward.  They screamed.  Everything worked well.  A Vistas staff member was there in seconds and an officer in no time thereafter. A wheelchair & two medical staff took only a minute or two and, as we left, a nurse was arriving bearing injection material.  Fortunately, for us, although close, our view was obscured and we didn’t rubberneck.  There were sufficient kindly passengers and appropriate staff.  I suspect a damaged ankle but that’s only a suspicion.  I wish them well

So, that’s the news and the drama.  Chef’s Table & *black tie* tonight.  I think we might meet Ollie Smith, who is advertised as being on board

Agreed that the Quays is a really great addition to the P and O ships that offer it

• Like 4

Just now, Eddie99 said:

I finished the day with a Rhubarbellini in the Crow’s Nest.  Not a lot of drink for £8 or £9, whatever it is

My wife’s had a few of those and I’ve thought the same, especially when the waiter spilt some of it when placing it on the table 😂 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.👍🏻

He was the 'driver' on our Fjords cruise last June.  He did make us laugh, often deferring to his number two, "my right-hand man, and thoroughly decent chap and all-round good egg, Deputy Captain Chris", and naming the port manoeuvres: Eg., the Stavanger Shuffle and the Haugesund Hustle. I wonder what it will be when you are in Madeira; the Funchal Foxtrot?

Lunch was a prawn/coconut Thai bowl in the Quays.  That place is a revelation - seems so much nicer than the traditional buffet (tho’ I haven’t been there on this cruise, so shouldn’t malign it)

Yes, the Quays is a great addition to Iona and Arvia, even if you are just passing through and grab a cake or two from around the corner.

Here's a tip for you if you ever decide to visit Horizon and take some snackage back to your cabin: 'borrow' a couple of trays from the Quays and store them in your cabin.

Just a  non-alcoholic cocktail for me, but I finished the day with a Rhubarbellini in the Crow’s Nest.  Not a lot of drink for £8 or £9, whatever it is

Just as well you are not counting the pennies, booze-wise!😉

Chef’s Table & *black tie* tonight.  I think we might meet Ollie Smith, who is advertised as being on board

Since he curates the wine pairings for the Chef's Table menu, I would hazard a guess that he is most likely to visit that location, or the Glasshouse, than anywhere else.

I look forward to your review of the Chef's Table experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Yes, the Quays is a great addition to Iona and Arvia, even if you are just passing through and grab a cake or two from around the corner.

Here's a tip for you if you ever decide to visit Horizon and take some snackage back to your cabin: 'borrow' a couple of trays from the Quays and store them in your cabin.

What a good idea.👍

• Thanks 1

It is

Brief update

Sun!

The First Officer declared it 14° at noon, and predicted a maximum of 17.  I’m not sure we hit that, and there was plenty of wind, but it was good for logging up steps on deck 8, or just sitting in favoured sheltered spots.

btw - is it The Law that 1st Officers have to be Scottish?  Invariably that seems to be the case (tho’ we had a lady do the 5pm announcement on embarkation day)

I forgot to mention that we have a guide dog on board!  Met him in the Beach House last night.  As you would expect he was a good chap & lay quietly under the table - we didn’t know he was there.  Our waitress asked to meet him, so everyone got a sight

We had a light lunch at The Glass House.  The dancers, or more likely acrobats/gymnasts we’re doing practice on silks/trapeze right beside us.  😳 Pics later, perhaps, if the technology plays nicely.  (Being skinflint/careful with the pennies, and sharing one internet package between our 2 iPhones and 2 iPads can get a bit tedious with all the disconnecting _ reconnecting)

Right, time to scrub up for the early (6pm) Chef’s Table

(Haven’t heard any more about this morning’s casualty.  At least it wasn’t a helivac case)

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

A year or so back, Ollie Smith was to be found up in the buffet Chef's Table wandering around and being very chatty.  However, it has to be noted that on that particular cruise, Glass House was not up and running food service!

Morning

We had a terrific thunderstorm as the day began.  That’s stopped now but we have light rain forecast.  Fingers crossed it’s wrong!

So, yesterday afternoon was nice.  Plenty of walking round the promenade deck.  I would imagine that is really nice in settled good weather, with so many different areas and facilities.  We’ve clocked the deck 8 conservatory  balcony cabins and decided that there is No Way we would want one of those at normal balcony prices.  Priced the same as our very nice sea view cabins?  Well, maybe.  I think it’s a bit of a cheek charging full whack

Last night was Celebration Night, so a chance for folk to put on their glad rags.  There was a wide variety in the degree of dressed-up-ness.  It doesn’t matter in the least to me and I have the feeling, but no way of proving, that most people are quite relaxed.  There’s a full mixture of passengers, from teeny babies through school-age children (a few), to multi-generation families, to couples of all ages.  

We went to the Chef’s Table, which was an experience.  Set in a cordoned off part of Horizon, it felt just like … a cordoned off part of Horizon - with tablecloths.  Much bigger than I had envisioned - goodness knows how many people.  So, it felt quite crowded and busy and the service was just on the brisk side of rushed (as a contrast to service in Glass House and Beach House, which has been just at the edge of nicely relaxed and verging towards a bit slow)

There was certainly no time to even think about the suggested wine pairings and the wine service was pretty poor - though in that environment perhaps we should be content to have it arrive more or less with the starter.

No sign of Ollie

I don’t want to sound too critical.  The food was actually good.  For me - lamb bonbon, beef Wellington and trifle.  For sir salmon cannelloni (ie mousse inside smoked salmon), sea bass and cheese.  I asked for my beef rare and was delighted to receive a piece perfectly cooked to medium, as I’d anticipated.  Beautiful bright crisp green vegetables, including beans, of course.  Chocolate truffles after.

It being very early, we went to the emerald bar, adjacent to Vistas.  Comfortable.  Cocktails at crazy prices (not in the package!). I tried the Marabelle gin, brewed on board.  Nice.  I’d say similar to Monkey 47 if anyone is a fan of that

Loyalty lunch today but again Caribbean, Baltic & Ligurian in together.  So, for my one and only time as Baltic level, I’m not really getting a different experience to what I had before at Caribbean.  First world problems, eh?  I won’t lose sleep

C48FABD0-BBD3-4163-814F-BD15403B75AF.thumb.jpeg.ba93ad93043ecbe247415a78aa9202f5.jpeg

• Like 11