Rain gear

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

These are awesome.  Sadly they don't have my size, but thanks for the lead.   We have an upcoming land trip that is expected to be wet, so perfect timing.   

I had to smile at the part of the description that says "not recommended for pregnant or old".   I'm pretty clear on pregnant.  What they mean by old isn't so clear.   Haha.   

My shoe size is 7 and the medium fits over my runners perfectly, if that’s any help to others.

I honestly don’t understand the “pregnant or old” disclaimer.  😂  I can’t find anything about those covers that would lead me to warn against using them.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Just now, *Miss G* said:

My shoe size is 7 and the medium fits over my runners perfectly, if that’s any help to others.

I honestly don’t understand the “pregnant or old” disclaimer.  😂  I can’t find anything about those covers that would lead me to warn against using them.  🤷‍♀️

Likely a standard product liability risk management thing that got lost in translation.  

I wear size 13 (men) and my walking shoes are kind of bulky.  The largest might fit, but I will look for some that might be larger.     

Something I'd like to suggest. Unless you anticipate using these items going forward I wouldn't spend a ton of money. Some of the brands mentioned aren't cheap. Just my opinion.

Just now, clo said:

Something I'd like to suggest. Unless you anticipate using these items going forward I wouldn't spend a ton of money. Some of the brands mentioned aren't cheap. Just my opinion.

Good point.  If you are talking about the shoe rain covers, most Im looking at are in the $15 range.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Are the bottoms slick?  Maybe they are afraid that old people will fall and break a bone.

10 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Are the bottoms slick?  Maybe they are afraid that old people will fall and break a bone.

No.  Like I said, they have a good grip with no slipping.

Don't neglect to think about whatever bag you might take with you during the day. Unless you can stick it under your rain jacket, it will get wet, as well as everything inside if the zippers are not waterproof. 

On one tour in Provence to a Roman site, we were caught in a heavy downpour that went on and on. When we finally left the site and got to our lunch location, people were desperately trying to dry out various papers, cameras, phones, etc. that were in their bags.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

These are the best travel accessory rain gear ever.  I’ve worn them in a deluge and my feet stayed perfectly dry.  They have a good grip so there is no slipping on the pavement, and they fold up nicely into the accompanying travel bag.  I’ve had them since 2019 and they’re still going great.

LINK:  RAIN SHOE COVERS

IMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.af9847a7c3905a024092340cc116d736.jpeg

Those are genius!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't neglect to think about whatever bag you might take with you during the day. Unless you can stick it under your rain jacket, it will get wet, as well as everything inside if the zippers are not waterproof. 

On one tour in Provence to a Roman site, we were caught in a heavy downpour that went on and on. When we finally left the site and got to our lunch location, people were desperately trying to dry out various papers, cameras, phones, etc. that were in their bags.

Good thinking.  I have a cross body Travelon bag that is not big so I can definitely wear it under my jacket .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Very good point.  That is what I like with the big rain shell.  I can wear a day pack in front under the rain shell .  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dickinson said:

Good thinking.  I have a cross body Travelon bag that is not big so I can definitely wear it under my jacket .

Love Travelon!  I have the slim backpack (below) which also keeps everything dry!  The top flap in the pic actually covers the zip, magnetically.

IMG_1001.thumb.jpeg.4b4ce7a209c72499e558d51db4ec4b46.jpeg

I don’t bother with rain pants but I’m pretty tolerant to being soaking wet. My goretex hiking boots are a must for the hiking I like to do and they keep my feet dry. One note is avoid wearing any cotton in the rain, it will cause you to be miserable and cold if your rain gear doesn’t protect you 100%. If you want to stay dry and not spend several hundred dollars on a jacket then your best bet is rubbery style rain gear like those fisherman wear. Unfortunately they are much bulkier to pack and far from stylish but they do help you stay warm and keep the rain off.

• Like 1

I have no experience with that part of the world, but I'll throw out two thoughts: 

- Don't neglect a hat.  I personally can keep going -- even if I'm soaking wet -- but rain in my face is a game-changer.  I just can't take it. This is partially because I am dependent upon my glasses, so I also need a cloth in my pocket with which to wipe my glasses dry every so often.  

- Someone mentioned that these good-quality brands are expensive to buy -- and that's so true!  Consider buying used, especially if these are things you aren't likely to use much after the cruise.  I buy most of my clothes used, and it's really not hard to find nice, gently-used items.  

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:42 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Consider buying used, especially if these are things you aren't likely to use much after the cruise.  I buy most of my clothes used, and it's really not hard to find nice, gently-used items.  

Superb suggestion. I have a rain jacket that I wore today that I really should donate. It's attractive, still in style but I'm very tired of it. Had it a LONG time.

• Like 1