Cyclones and itinerary changes

There are warnings of another cyclone forming in North In Queensland next week. We are booked on the Luminosa for 7 night cruise from Brisbane in a few weeks time to Airlie Beach etc  Just wondering what the itinerary would be changed to if it is decided not to head that way. The luminosa in the December cyclone  was on a short 4 day cruise from Brisbane and ended up in Sydney so I am curious how they would fill in a 7 night cruise.

Cheers John.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne, Eden.?

I reckon you could be right.  All speculative at the moment the weather experts are waiting to see what develops. The way I look at it is you cant alter mother nature and as long as it is a cruise we will make sure we enjoy it anyway.😁

• Like 3

They need to stay domestic, as there will be many booked without passports. I think Mic has summed them up. As far as I can recall, Carnival has never called in Newcastle which is curious considering all of the P&O and Princess visits. Melbourne would also be a stretch for a 7 nighter, so I am leaning to an overnight in Sydney plus Eden. The other possible stop is Tangalooma.

Hopefully the weather will be kind by the time you board.

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They need to stay domestic, as there will be many booked without passports. I think Mic has summed them up. As far as I can recall, Carnival has never called in Newcastle which is curious considering all of the P&O and Princess visits. Melbourne would also be a stretch for a 7 nighter, so I am leaning to an overnight in Sydney plus Eden. The other possible stop is Tangalooma.

Hopefully the weather will be kind by the time you board.

Thanks Geoff. We are embarking first week of Feb I am hoping it may be better by then, I just hope anyone booked for next week is going to be ok and of course I feel for all the folk who live up north as they have had a rough time from the last Cyclone and then flooding. Seems trivial wondering if we will be affected on a cruise when people up north are suffering.😕

• Like 2

queen elizabeth is due north qld.25 janu

and im on celebrity edge due qld 28 jan onwards

yes prepare for port changes,its all looking highly up in the air

.where we go,or possibly offering refunds if its not what you want to be,,, i would hazard a guess?

.stay tuned

1 hour ago, challis said:

queen elizabeth is due north qld.25 janu

and im on celebrity edge due qld 28 jan onwards

yes prepare for port changes,its all looking highly up in the air

.where we go,or possibly offering refunds if its not what you want to be,,, i would hazard a guess?

.stay tuned

I do hope it works out well for you.🤞

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

We cruise out of Brisbane next week heading to Tasmania.  I don't expect itinerary changes but I do expect some motion on the ocean 🤮

What day do you leave. Wed/Thursday predictions look bumpy all the way down the east coast,

Barry's Three Laws for Cruising in Australia  -- 1. Never cruise north of Brisbane in Summer  2. Never cruise south of Brisbane in Winter.  3. Never cruise west from Melbourne at any time. These Laws were written by me during my time in the Australian Navy. Admittedly Naval Destroyers are a little a smaller than cruiseships but they weren't designed to operate as a floating block of apartments either. 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Shouldn't be to bad going south, the ride back may be worse though.

It's been very comfortable this week. Apparently the seas are moderate but we're trundling along at under 15 knots so we've hardly felt any movement.

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's been very comfortable this week. Apparently the seas are moderate but we're trundling along at under 15 knots so we've hardly felt any movement.

You are in the right place at the right time, especially for the next couple of days. A bit of minor bumpiness on Sunday night at worst.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

What day do you leave. Wed/Thursday predictions look bumpy all the way down the east coast,

We leave Brisbane Thursday.  I will be sure to start the Phernergan Wednesday night as I imagine it's going to be bumpy as you said.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

You are in the right place at the right time, especially for the next couple of days. A bit of minor bumpiness on Sunday night at worst.

Apparently it got a bit bumpy in Bass Strait last night around midnight but we didn't feel a thing!

Anyway we survived Majestic Princess trying to outrun a storm that was bringing 8 metre seas along with it in 2018, Hobart to Sydney. That did get a tad rocky!

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Barry's Three Laws for Cruising in Australia  -- 1. Never cruise north of Brisbane in Summer  2. Never cruise south of Brisbane in Winter.  3. Never cruise west from Melbourne at any time. These Laws were written by me during my time in the Australian Navy. Admittedly Naval Destroyers are a little a smaller than cruiseships but they weren't designed to operate as a floating block of apartments either. 

I think I have broken every one of those laws.:classic_laugh:

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was referring to returning to Brisbane in the wake of the cyclone 

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think I have broken every one of those laws.:classic_laugh:

You certainly broke #3 in 2022, after Coral finally got out of Melbourne!🤣 And #2 as Coral was cruising out of Sydney.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

We cruise out of Brisbane next week heading to Tasmania.  I don't expect itinerary changes but I do expect some motion on the ocean 🤮

We are also on Coral to Tassie on 25 Jan.  Being cyclone season, we chose this destination because we figured heading south we would probably avoid cyclones.  I think I'll pack my raincoat.

15 minutes ago, aussienellie said:

We are also on Coral to Tassie on 25 Jan.  Being cyclone season, we chose this destination because we figured heading south we would probably avoid cyclones.  I think I'll pack my raincoat.

Definitely pack your raincoat. We got drenched during our Burnie tour yesterday. It decided to bucket down just as we were touring the salmon farm! And that was the only stop on our tasting tour where we needed to walk around outdoors. Typical!

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently it got a bit bumpy in Bass Strait last night around midnight but we didn't feel a thing!

Anyway we survived Majestic Princess trying to outrun a storm that was bringing 8 metre seas along with it in 2018, Hobart to Sydney. That did get a tad rocky!

You are a day ahead of the weather. If you were to be in Bass Strait tonight, you would feel the bumps. Last night was less than half.

8pm tonight

Thurs8pm.png.fc0d2e0dba38135c61c593bcaaa9ca97.png

Those that look to be affected this coming week with the predicted cyclone:

Pacific Encounter - 23rd Jan, 4 nights to Airlie Beach. 

Seven Seas Explorer - left Sydney yesterday, on her way to Singapore. Due in Townsville on Wednesday. 

At this stage the crossing to/from Noumea looks doable, and the seas will dissipate again by the end of next week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Doable maybe but Miami always ers on the side of caution. Quantum 3day in on Monday smooth as .

As will be most of their crossing to Port Vila departing Monday. At this stage, no other cruise ships will be within kooee. The precautionary part is that even the BOM is only guessing on a likely track, the models can't agree, and it is possible it will track south instead of crossing the coast. That outcome could also affect some of the cruises to the islands.

Current ocean predictions:

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=sigWaveHgt&tz=AEDT&area=NEAu&model=CGW&chartSubmit=Refresh+View