Live: Experienced cruisers try Celebrity 14 day cruise to Antartica on the Eclipse

jimbo5544

An extreme off-road experience is included in the two-and one-half hour trip each way, from Port Stanley cruise port to Volunteer Point, and return. It is important to understand that if one suffers from infirmities that are easily aggravated and irritated, certain shore excursions should be given serious consideration before making arrangements. As the OP has so beautifully shown, the Falkland Islands offer adventure and enjoyment and the opportunity to interact with the wildlife, the people and the topography. Of course, Volunteer Point is not the only place where shore excursions visit. It is truly a special experience, and despite the hustle and bustle of a very busy day from start to finish, the end result is extremely gratifying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

An extreme off-road experience is included in the two-and one-half hour trip each way, from Port Stanley cruise port to Volunteer Point, and return. It is important to understand that if one suffers from infirmities that are easily aggravated and irritated, certain shore excursions should be given serious consideration before making arrangements. As the OP has so beautifully shown, the Falkland Islands offer adventure and enjoyment and the opportunity to interact with the wildlife, the people and the topography. Of course, Volunteer Point is not the only place where shore excursions visit. It is truly a special experience, and despite the hustle and bustle of a very busy day from start to finish, the end result is extremely gratifying.

Well said. 

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It's possible. Stanley is a port where EVERYBODY wants to be on the first tender to shore. Priority goes to those on ship tours and also Elite and above Captains Club members. If not on a ship tour, you have to get tender tickets. People line up well before the tickets begin to be handed out. You need to get up early.

This is the kind of thing that has turned me off to cruising on mainstream cruise lines - the lines!

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

This is the kind of thing that has turned me off to cruising on mainstream cruise lines - the lines!

The main question is do you go to the Falklands or not. Many people, including me, say it is worthwhile.

It is said that even getting to tender into Stanley is a 50-50 proposition. +/-. YMMV. It has to do with the weather and nothing to do with which cruise line.

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The main question is do you go to the Falklands or not. Many people, including me, say it is worthwhile.

It is said that even getting to tender into Stanley is a 50-50 proposition. +/-. YMMV. It has to do with the weather and nothing to do with which cruise line.

For me the question is do I want to visit the Falklands on a large mainstream cruise line or on a small ship.  My decision is to visit the Falklands as part of an Antarctic expedition cruise in 1/25 aboard a small (200 passenger) expedition ship.  I've just grown tired of the lines - especially for tendering, associated with mainstream cruise lines.  I tend to book private tours and being at the back of the line for tendering is a real problem.  Actually, crowds and lines is a problem in general for me... just ask my wife😁

Edited by mnocket

Then in the afternoon, the show began port side (our side).  Prob over 100 whales sighted and other fish and even an albatross (I think).  Will let the pics do the talking. 

IMG_8863.jpeg

IMG_8867.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpeg

• Like 2