Beaches recommeneded for snorkeling

beshears

No sandy beach will have good snorkeling - the waves and sand cloud the water.  There is good snorkeling from the shore at Money Bar.  No admission fee, good food/drinks/service, rental gear if needed, lots of shade and you enter the water via steps.

Chankanaab Marine park has both a beach and separate snorkel area - but also charges about $20 for admission.

Thanks for your reply to my question. The reason I ask about snorkeling in Cozumel, as someone said it was a good place to do it, but it looks like it "depends" upon the area you go to.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thanks for your reply to my question. The reason I ask about snorkeling in Cozumel, as someone said it was a good place to do it, but it looks like it "depends" upon the area you go to.

There are several locations for snorkeling either from rocky beaches, or by boat.  Cozumel is better for diving as reefs are deep but some snorkeling (drift snorkeling) is possible north and south of piers. 

Several threads on this board already discuss this. Not from the regular sandy beach clubs which are popular with many people looking for a beach.

On 1/20/2024 at 5:13 AM, beshears said:

I understand Cozumel has some of the best beaches for snorkeling? If you have done this within the past couple of years, which beach/s would you recommend?

If you do decide to go to one of the beach clubs, they might have a boat take you out by the reefs to snorkle.

DW always has to go to Nachi Cocum to relax poolside or ocean side for the day.

I did a snorkle tour from there that took me out in a small boat to the reef area and we just snorkled above. Was pretty good.

Like has already been stated, any of the popular beach clubs with the nice sandy beaches will be terrible for snorkeling from shore.

Now if you are on a Western itinerary, Grand Cayman has multiple nice beaches with snorkeling close to shore.

Or if you are going to Roatan, West Bay beach had the best shore snorkeling I've ever done at the south end by the rocks. The reef comes right up into the shallow water there and has tons of incredible fish.

14 hours ago, beshears said:

Bguppies, yes we are doing the Western itinerary, so I have made a notation of the West Bay Beach at Roatan.

Try to check google before you go. Someone had posted a nice aerial shot of the beach area with the reef areas clearly circled on the picture, that helped me get right into the reef area immediately.

Definitely the best shore snorkeling I've done from a sandy beach, (which DW enjoyed for hours while I snorkeled)

We have snorkeled at several different locations on Coz.  Play Uvas, Playa Corona, Chankanaab Park, and Dzul Ha before the Money Bar was there.  Our favorite is Chankanaab with the Money Bar second.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:12 PM, beshears said:

Beshears, 

There is a lot of good info at: www.cozumelmycozumel.com and cozumelinsider.com.  They have lists of beaches and restaurants.