Late Boarding Time

DDeeBee75

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

You are preaching to the choir. I enjoy a few hours in Soton after dropping our car / luggage. We arrive at our allocated time.

I just find it unfair that passengers are punished for being early by being left out in the cold (literally). Meantime the cruise lines can delay embarkation by many hours with absolutely no consequences 

Why are they early in the first place?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Meantime the cruise lines can delay embarkation by many hours with absolutely no consequences 

I've never experienced it myself, but I'm pretty sure I've read on here of a number of occasions where P&O passengers have been compensated via OBC where delayed departures from Southampton have led to a need to adapt itineraries.  If the delay is minor and does not necessitate any change to the itinerary, I don't think there's any justification for compensation.

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I've never experienced it myself, but I'm pretty sure I've read on here of a number of occasions where P&O passengers have been compensated via OBC where delayed departures from Southampton have led to a need to adapt itineraries.  If the delay is minor and does not necessitate any change to the itinerary, I don't think there's any justification for compensation.

I have had delays but no OBC.

They have not resulted in change to an itinerary but have been an inconvenience. 

It still feels inequitable that a passenger arriving an hour early is left out in the cold but a customer left to wait several hours late - tough luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Why are the cruise lines late?

That’s out of our control, but as passengers we can control our embarkation to some extent by arriving at the specified time. Not always, I know. 

We have been very fortunate in that we’ve never had an issue with CPS/ABP and 90% of the time, we haven’t had to wait very long to embark. Then again, we’re not priority (and I can see that there might be issues when there are many top tier passengers on a cruise), and we do arrive when told to do so! I might add that we’ve had a different embarkation time to other travellers in our group a few times, and we just arrive at the later time! 

• Like 1

Just now, Ardennais said:

That’s out of our control, but as passengers we can control our embarkation to some extent by arriving at the specified time. Not always, I know. 

We can’t control our arrival (motorway accidents, breakdowns, train strikes, bad weather) any more than a cruise Captain can (rough seas, breakdowns, port strikes, bad weather).

So why are passengers punished but cruise ships cut slack?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have had delays but no OBC.

They have not resulted in change to an itinerary but have been an inconvenience. 

It still feels inequitable that a passenger arriving an hour early is left out in the cold but a customer left to wait several hours late - tough luck!

Could be many reasons for that though (E.g. The deep-cleaning which delayed Ventura's (?) voyage recently) and not exactly a choice or option for P&O or the ports/terminals to take lightly whereas arriving early IS a choice. The fact that people feel like they can ignore embarkation times and show up whenever they see fit and then are unhappy when denied boarding until their alloted time just smacks of entitlement, IMO, akin to a z-listed celebrity's screech of "Don't you know who I am?"

If everyone did as they were asked, rather than what they wanted to do, Things would probably run a hell of a lot more smoothly...

Edited by RebelWithoutAClue
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, RebelWithoutAClue said:

Could be many reasons for that though (E.g. The deep-cleaning which delayed Ventrura's (?) voyage recently) and not exactly a choice or option for P&O or the ports/terminals to take lightly whereas arriving early IS a choice. The fact that people feel like they can ignore embarkation times and show up whenever they see fit and then are unhappy when denied boarding until their alloted time just smacks of entitlement, IMO, akin to a z-listed celebrity's screech of "Don't you know who I am?"

If everyone did as they were asked, rather than what they wanted to do, Things would probably run a hell of a lot more smoothly...

Do you do a 9 plus hour journey through multiple motorways with numerous chances of delays?

Do you travel via multiple forms of public transport?

Looks like you are very close to the port. - an hour, or so no you probably don’t.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We can’t control our arrival (motorway accidents, breakdowns, train strikes, bad weather) any more than a cruise Captain can (rough seas, breakdowns, port strikes, bad weather).

So why are passengers punished but cruise ships cut slack?

We’ll have to agree to disagree! 

We control our arrival as best we can by staying overnight pre-cruise.  Why take the risk of travelling on the day? 

It’s like school dinners! When I was in school, we had to queue outside in all weathers and watch the sixth formers (top-tier) walk to the front, which is what I did when I got to the sixth form. When I returned there as a teacher (officer!), we used a different door (fast-tracked). They then allocated a time for each year group which made more sense as there was then very little queuing. There has to be some sort of system! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do you do a 9 plus hour journey through multiple motorways with numerous chances of delays?

Do you travel via multiple forms of public transport?

Looks like you are very close to the port. - an hour, or so no you probably don’t.

It doesn't matter whether I'm an hour away or not, I could still run into delays myself, considering I have to go on the motorway to get there. I could get stuck behind a fatal accident which would add hours on to the journey. You seem to be changing the goalposts of this argument quite often. Just now your main gripe was delays port side, which are out of anyone's control more often than not, and now you're not happy because I agree that an embarkation time is what it is, and shouldn't be swapped and changed because people feel hard done by? What about all the people who have an earlier embarkation time? Do they just have to stand back and be delayed themselves despite following the procedures because four or five other passengers have turned up three hours early and are basically demanding to be boarded?? Not very fair, is it? And I'm sure you would be very displeased if this was the case for yourself.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RebelWithoutAClue said:

It doesn't matter whether I'm an hour away or not, I could still run into delays myself, considering I have to go on the motorway to get there. I could get stuck behind a fatal accident which would add hours on to the journey. You seem to be changing the goalposts of this argument quite often. Just now your main gripe was delays port side, which are out of anyone's control more often than not, and now you're not happy because I agree that an embarkation time is what it is, and shouldn't be swapped and changed because people feel hard done by? What about all the people who have an earlier embarkation time? Do they just have to stand back and be delayed themselves despite following the procedures because four or five other passengers have turned up three hours early and are basically demanding to be boarded?? Not very fair, is it? And I'm sure you would be very displeased if this was the case for yourself. 

One hour travel potential travel issues x 9 hour potential travel issues, a bit different surely?

Read back the thread properly and you will see that I have not “changed the goalposts” at all.

As a passenger I fully comply with the time I am given but it does not mean I think it is appropriate for everyone. I have not advocated that those arriving early should be given any priority to board, just shelter from rain and cold,

Do you feel the elderly and disabled (not me by the way) should be left out in the cold after paying thousands of pounds for a cruise. If you do then shame on you,

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

One hour travel potential travel issues x 9 hour potential travel issues, a bit different surely?

Read back the thread properly and you will see that I have not “changed the goalposts” at all.

As a passenger I fully comply with the time I am given but it does not mean I think it is appropriate for everyone. I have not advocated that those arriving early should be given any priority to board, just shelter from rain and cold,

Do you feel the elderly and disabled (not me by the way) should be left out in the cold after paying thousands of pounds for a cruise. If you do then shame on you,

My mother is elderly and uses a walker. She turned up at her given time so no need to be left out in the cold! Passengers shouldn’t be arriving early! 

However, I do think that any vulnerable passengers who DO turn up at their given time and then find a queue should be allowed to shelter. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ardennais said:

My mother is elderly and uses a walker. She turned up at her given time so no need to be left out in the cold! Passengers shouldn’t be arriving early! 

However, I do think that any vulnerable passengers who DO turn up at their given time and then find a queue should be allowed to shelter. 

I agree. Try to be there at the correct time but a bit of compassion for those who are vulnerable and a bit early.

8 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

There is a huge waiting area prior to the terminal with hundreds of places where passengers can sit in comfort out of the elements.  It's called Southampton.

What a silly comment to make. I am assuming you are not old, disabled or in a wheelchair.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

She was very fortunate obviously arriving by private car or taxi but what happened if P&O gave her a boarding time of 3-30pm and she was travelling to Southampton by train and her only train arrived at midday. What would she suggest do then, just because it is convenient for you don't assume every person is in same position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Yes, we've sailed RCI, Celebrity, MSC and Cunard out of Southampton as well as P&O.  For each, we've followed the cruise-line specific check-in / boarding instructions.  Doing that rather than doing what we'd like to do, irrespective of whether or not that complies with the instructions for the specific line on which we are travelling on the basis that other lines do it differently has, to date, always led to a fairly stress-free experience.  

While most on here probably only go through the process a few times per year and thus get only a snapshot of the experience, the cruise lines do it week in, week out.  I'm guessing they know what works best for them and for their passengers overall.  And, I'm sure they apply the procedures that work best for the majority of their passengers, even if that causes minor inconvenience for a minority that thinks the rules don't apply to them.

Well if that's the case you are the only person I know who has not found the embarkation procedure infinitely superior to P&O.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

She was very fortunate obviously arriving by private car or taxi but what happened if P&O gave her a boarding time of 3-30pm and she was travelling to Southampton by train and her only train arrived at midday. What would she suggest do then, just because it is convenient for you don't assume every person is in same position.

Drop the luggage off and go to a hotel nearby jump on the shuttle bus free of charge. Start of the holiday go and enjoy lunch or a beer, instead of rushing to get on in some cases people are afraid they are going to miss out the ship is not going anywhere.... If driving down go and park up somewhere for a bit. If the ship is delayed because of a deep clean or weather for instance people still turn up expecting to get on at the original time even though they have been told to delay the check in time listed by a couple of hours. Obviously can't help with trains but you can still go to a hotel or where ever.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I don’t assume every person is the same. In this situation, I would suggest a coffee in the station - like we had in M&S. Then take a taxi at an appropriate time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Drop the luggage off and go to a hotel nearby jump on the shuttle bus free of charge. Start of the holiday go and enjoy lunch or a beer, instead of rushing to get on in some cases people are afraid they are going to miss out the ship is not going anywhere.... If driving down go and park up somewhere for a bit. If the ship is delayed because of a deep clean or weather for instance people still turn up expecting to get on at the original time even though they have been told to delay the check in time listed by a couple of hours. Obviously can't help with trains but you can still go to a hotel or where ever.

Everyone knows the options when driving to Southampton regarding boarding times but nobody can give a sensible answer on those, which there are many, who travel by public transport i.e coach, trains. They have no control of time they arrive and therefore can have problems killing time which is exasperated if they are old or disabled with luggage. Unfortunately there are many on here who are OK with arriving at boarding times and knock those who have a totally different situation which they control. I am afraid it is a case of I am alright jack and have no thought of those that have issues with arriving close to boarding times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t assume every person is the same. In this situation, I would suggest a coffee in the station - like we had in M&S. Then take a taxi at an appropriate time. 

So you are suggesting old, disabled or those with wheelchairs if they arrive by train to sit in station cafe with all their luggage for possibly 2-3 hrs. I am sure you wouldn't be happy doing that so why should they.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

So you are suggesting old, disabled or those with wheelchairs if they arrive by train to sit in station cafe with all their luggage for possibly 2-3 hrs. I am sure you wouldn't be happy doing that so why should they.

I'd be happier doing that than queuing outside the terminal for the same amount of time.

• Like 4

I was fine with any boarding time until I injured my leg and am currently unable to walk far or stand for more than 5 minutes. It really does make a difference if you're disabled, and disabled people are givren assistance and special consideration at airports; they are supposed to get the same at cruise terminals but sometimes it fails.

• Like 4