Explora I -- Beautiful ship but needs improvements to be a 5 Star Cruise Line

PaulMCO

1 hour ago, shrkdive1 said:

Forgot to mention that when they refunded us for the 4 canceled excursions they would only refund in cash (USD or Euros).  I didn't want that much cash on me and would have preferred they just credit my credit card but they would not.

For those that don't use USD or Euro the passenger would then have to convert to their own local currency and incur additional FX charges.

Did you book the snorkeling trip in Grenada?  Our travel partners did and had similar comments.  

Yes.  We were on the catamaran snorkel trip in Grenada.  That was the excursion where we felt like they overbooked the boat with too many people. I would definitely not book that one again and gave our comments to Explora on the survey. 

On board now - lovely ship, great food, great staff but its never going to be a five star experience unless they regulate the behaviour of some of the parents and their kids on board. I understand that MSC are a  family friendly line but you do not expect the constant screaming and madness going on in the pools and Jacuzzis- kids being kids is one thing but you do not expect a child being thrown into the air by a dad in a pack pool on a luxury ship - I can get that elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaroleP58 said:

I counted 5 children, all below school age, on last week’s cruise. I honestly didn’t notice they were there. Perhaps they had more considerate parents!

This week and last week are two totally different animals. I heard there are 70 kids this week. It feels like a totally different ship and I am certainly not the only one who thinks that.  It also feels much more crowded. 

2 minutes ago, CaroleP58 said:

I counted 5 children, all below school age, on last week’s cruise. I honestly didn’t notice they were there. Perhaps they had more considerate parents!

Definitely more than 5 onboard and of school age- it appears the parents have no control or do not care - eating any where near them is like being in MacD - staff simply ignore what is happening- even when  it is of a H & S concern - there must have been some good deals for bringing children onboard?

5 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

This week and last week are two totally different animals. I heard there are 70 kids this week. It feels like a totally different ship and I am certainly not the only one who thinks that.  It also feels much more crowded. 

Yes, it does feel crowded at times - they struggled with service at lunch time - 30min wait for a burger and could not get anywhere near a couple of the popular food stations.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, gymfreak said:

I am currently on the ship and two nights ago fell down these steps. Inured my left side and head and few other bumps and bruises. Just beginning to feel a bit better and not wince when turning over. I was somewhat lucky because it could have ended much worse.

I received instant excellent care from the medical team.

Will definitely avoid this route for the rest of the cruise!

Did you fall doen the main stairs for passrngers on all decks? Arent they carpeted? We never use elevators- wide capeted stairs on all 5 of our Oceania cruises, just iff 11 days yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, dancingcgal said:

Did you fall doen the main stairs for passrngers on all decks? Arent they carpeted? We never use elevators- wide capeted stairs on all 5 of our Oceania cruises, just iff 11 days yesterday. 

The stairs were marble and curved near one of the restaurants, in the Atrium.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:26 PM, PaulMCO said:

@Shoeman1  thank you for the comparison.  I do not think I will return to Crystal.  I loved the staff, the food, the entertainment but the ship is just plain OLD.  And yes the beds and bedding on Explora were great.

Paul, I've read your comments many times.  Many times in agreement, many times not so much.

It's the bedding on Explora that bugs me.  Beds excellent as expected.  Bed linens just OK.  Frette brand made in India.  I bought these sheets mail order and half the amount paid was refunded when the India tag was discovered.   Eight month lifespan.  What bugs me is the polyester mattress cover under the fitted sheet.   You might not notice so much for seven days.  Beyond seven, you should.  They will remove the polyester cover upon request. 

Does Explora pretend to be a five star line?   Silversea and Seabourn advertise ultra luxury and miss the mark by a mile.  I believe Crystal to deliver a luxury product on two too old ships to too too many ultra aged passengers.  I think Explora is drawing mostly from Oceania, Viking,  Azamara + the mega crowd and not so much the luxury, or formally thought of as luxury market. 

Edited by saminina