Is Roatan safe?

badba2

I am a solo female traveler who has spent a heap of time on this island, wandering from end to end, side to side.  There is no way to know if you will be safe. I say this because I know how to behave as a guest in someone else's country. Those people who do not... who knows? Bad things happen the world over, and anyone who tells you without a doubt you will be safe is not doing you any favors. We are talking about an island off the coast of a third-world country; some fair, desperate people are around. 

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

What cruise line are you sailing? This will determine which port you are at. Where do you want to go?

Oops, you are absolutely right...I forgot to take into account Carnival's Mahogany Bay. 

Wish the system would let me delete or at least edit my other post.  

Edited by Guest 2000
I was a bit to snarky in the first one.

We were on tours when we were there. We felt safe, but I don't think I would wander around in some of the areas alone. Take a reputable tour. We did one with our ship and one with Victor Bodden.  We really like Roatan, but there is a lot of poverty...

• 2 weeks later...

Roatan is safe as long as your aren't being stupid... like getting drunk and wandering around in the jungle.  It is just as safe as Miami, or any other touristy place.  Just act like you would elsewhere.