Entertainment on Nieuw Statendam

LewiLewi

We were on NS a few weeks ago. There is entertainment every evening in the World Stage Theater.  The first night was talk about the history of Holland America which was interesting.  The other nights were either dance productions by the ship's dancers or guest entertainment (this changes each cruise - we had a pianist and a comedian both were very good).  We also enjoyed music in the BB Kings Blues Club and the Rolling Stone Lounge.  Billboard Onboard has dueling pianos.  I wanted to like this but they were not very good.  They said they started about a month ago.  The piano playing was good but their singing was definitely off-key.  Movies are sometimes shown on the Lido deck. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We will be boarding NS next month. What entertainment is available? Are there evening shows, movies, comedians, song and dance performances?

Not to worry about your experience in  NS Billboard Onboard — my son Gabriel will be in the Nieuw Statendam’s Billboard Onboard starting at the beginning of Feb and he has perfect pitch LOL — there was a recent nice comment about his singing in BO on the Eurodam in this forum. (He doesn’t yet know who his partner will be though.)

Edited by Ruthenium
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ruthenium said:

Not to worry about your experience in  NS Billboard Onboard — my son Gabriel will be in the Nieuw Statendam’s Billboard Onboard starting at the beginning of Feb and he has perfect pitch LOL — there was a recent nice comment about his singing in BO on the Eurodam in this forum. (He doesn’t yet know who his partner will be though.)

May I ask how long his contract is?  We are boarding at end of April.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:43 PM, Ruthenium said:

Cool! We will be on the NS next week and look forward to hearing him and his partner!

On 1/24/2024 at 3:28 PM, LewiLewi said:

Thank you. Are there two shows each night or just one?

When we were on Nov & Dec, World Stage shows were 6 and 8 pm.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

We just got off this ship yesterday - we really enjoyed the BB King band!  It was pretty popular every night and lots of people got up to dance (depending on song selection).  They were often at 8 / 9 / 10 with 45 min sets.  The whole band was pretty talented and we saw a lot of their performances.

We walked through the Billboard and Rolling Stones bands, but neither sounded great in our opinion.  That said, seemed like a lot of people in those venues.

In the World Stage, it was usually 7:30 / 9:30 performances.  First night was the documentary as mentioned above, 2 nights of the Step Up dancers, 1 comedian, 1 saxophonist, and 1 night combined (comedy / saxophonist).  There might have been one night I forgot.

There were a few nights with movies on Lido, one night was Barbie but I don’t recall the others.

Overall we enjoyed the evening entertainment and it was a good variety.

On 1/25/2024 at 5:35 AM, VMax1700 said:

May I ask how long his contract is?  We are boarding at end of April.

I don’t know if it’ll be that long but he’s had contracts extended in the past

• Thanks 1

Hi from Jamaica. We’ve been enjoying Gabriel and Matt’s playing onboard. He does have excellent pitch! And plays and entertains quite well! He matches up well with his partner. Our favorite entertainers on the ship, so far! He seemed nervous night 1, but seems much more comfortable gelling with his new partner. 

• Thanks 1

With respect to the Rolling Stone, I must say that they are quite talented, but that adding extra dozens of bars of solos are were not necessary to understand the fact that they are talented. I enjoy hearing the songs, but not with the extra repeated various solos. We get it — you’re good.