Arcadia vs. Aurora

We have traditionally cruised on Princess, but a particularly raucous 2023 Christmas cruise (thanks to 600 children on board) has us looking at other cruise lines.  We are quite interested in P&O's "adults only" ships, Arcadia and Aurora.

What can you tell me about these two ships:  the differences, the pros and cons of each, your favourite between the two?  We'd like to book one of them for our next cruise. Apologies if this topic has been addressed before, but I'm new to the P&O board!

I cruise almost exclusively on the two small ships. I prefer a more sociable, less crowded and quieter cruise environment as  I am a solo traveller in my 70s.  They also tend to do longer cruises.  The main problem is that prices for cruises on these ships are very expensive compared to the big family ones. They are popular so usually sell out quickly. 

• Like 2

Having cruised on both ships my preference of the two would be Arcadia - but there are many who would prefer Aurora. Both ships are fine and it comes down to personal preference and ultimately you will not know that until you have tried them both.

For me Arcadia is a halfway house between the smaller ships (Aurora) and the bigger ships (Azura and up).

If unsure then I would be inclined to look at itinerary/price and take it from there as there is not a lot to choose between them

• Like 2

I’m an Aurora fan. Its venues seem to be in better places than Arcadia (for me). The art gallery outside the globe and being on the main thoroughfare being the biggest bugbear especially when they host events. The multi purpose cinema room in Aurora is another plus but they are both great at what they do though are both definitely showing their age now so you must take that into account - I feel that  adds to their charm, well until you have blocked toilets or leaks in the ship🤣

• Like 6

We like both ships in particular as they are adults only. Having tried Ventura, it was not for us so we are back to these two as our preferred P&O ships.

We like the theatre on Arcadia and enjoy meals in Ocean Grill. We also think the flow of the ship is better. However, we usually book a suite and prefer those on Aurora as well as enjoying having a permanent Glass House and a much better cinema.
Overall we have a slight preference for the feel of Aurora, but in the end choose due to dates/itinerary. This year we have booked Arcadia as the particular cruise suits us, but next year we are back on Aurora. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Overall we have a slight preference for the feel of Aurora, but in the end choose due to dates/itinerary. This year we have booked Arcadia as the particular cruise suits us, but next year we are back on Aurora. 

We feel the same, both fine, my only gripe with Aurora is that the rows of theatre seats are closer together impeding my long legs, and I don't like sitting on the front row.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

I’m an Aurora fan. Its venues seem to be in better places than Arcadia (for me). The art gallery outside the globe and being on the main thoroughfare being the biggest bugbear especially when they host events. The multi purpose cinema room in Aurora is another plus but they are both great at what they do though are both definitely showing their age now so you must take that into account - I feel that  adds to their charm, well until you have blocked toilets or leaks in the ship🤣

I like Aurora too - it has a variety of lounges and performance areas which we find very good for a 'small' ship.  The ratio of public space:passengers seems quite generous - there's never a problem finding somewhere to relax (unlike our experience of Azura).  It also has a lovely tiered stern which I think is a real plus.

We do like Arcadia too - we have cruises booked on both.  The itinerary dictates our choice but these two are our preferred ships as adults only ships but all things being equal (good itinerary and comparative prices) Aurora would be our preference.  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 5

Aurora is our favourite by far. Better laid out, no horrible balcony sewage aroma (couldn’t use our balcony for hours at a time if the sewage aroma started)… the seating in the buffet is far better laid out, resulting in always being able to find a table for 2, whereas we found the predominantly larger tables in Arcadia were full of non UK passengers hogging the tables to read/have a view/have a long drawn out drink over hours… and would never share a table for 6, even though only 1 or 2 persons were present… maybe we were unlucky on our Fjord cruise on Arcadia, but we came to dread breakfast and lunch time on Arcadia, whereas on Aurora it’s always been ‘enjoyable’.  Vowed never to sail on Arcadia again. Husband has since turned down certain itineraries he’d have loved, because it was on Arcadia.  

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

my only gripe with Aurora is that the rows of theatre seats are closer together impeding my long legs, and I don't like sitting on the front row.

That's very specific!  🙂

• Like 1

You're obviously based a long way from here - and you may have travelled extensively in the Northern Hemisphere - I don't want to make assumptions or be insensitive - you may be very well informed about of the geography of Norway, but if you haven't visited the Fjords before there are some itineraries which imo are more rewarding than others based on the ports of call. 

Some have more 'coastal' ports in proportion to what I think of as 'true' Fjord destinatons.  Whilst these coastla towns are often interesting and lovely places to visit, the destinations down the bottom of sometimes a 100+ mile Fjord are something else.  Sailing for hours in and out of Fjords are like an excursion in themselves and are truly magical so please check out your destinations carefully as it would be such a pity to miss out on this stunning scenery.  whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful cruise.🙂

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 5

We have a slight preference for Aurora as well, but our last trip was on Arcadia.  It did have some problems to do with losing pressure on one of the sewage systems so twice in a months trip all toilets on one  side of the ship were out of action for a few hours - that's public spaces and cabins.   That is not good, and of the the cabins are a bigger problem when that happens, but they did sort it each time.

I haven't had that happen on other ships (yet!)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

You're obviously based a long way from here - and you may have travelled extensively in the Northern Hemisphere - I don't want to make assumptions or be insensitive - you may be very well informed about of the geography of Norway, but if you haven't visited the Fjords before there are some itineraries which imo are more rewarding than others based on the ports of call. 

Some have more 'coastal' ports in proportion to what I think of as 'true' Fjord destinatons.  Whilst these coastla towns are often interesting and lovely places to visit, the destinations down the bottom of sometimes a 100+ mile Fjord are something else.  Sailing for hours in and out of Fjords are like an excursion in themselves and are truly magical so please check out your destinations carefully as it would be such a pity to miss out on this stunning scenery.  whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful cruise.🙂

Thanks so much, Kruzseeka.  That's exactly what we are hoping, and I appreciate the guidance.  We'll be sure that our itinerary includes sailing deep inside the fjords.  We'll be using a TA who will hopefully be able to point us to the best itineraries.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 11:02 AM, kruzseeka said:

Sailing for hours in and out of Fjords are like an excursion in themselves and are truly magical so please check out your destinations carefully as it would be such a pity to miss out on this stunning scenery.

I well remember our first sailing into one of the fjords on Oriana and hearing a low drone sound, which was odd, but quite musical.  Eventually we realised it was the sound of the ship itself echoing off the sides of the fjords.  We have listened for it each time we have been since, but somehow it is not there - or our hearing has deteriorated!  Most likely, the ship now follows a slightly different path within the fjord.  But keep an ear open - who knows?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WestonOne said:

I well remember our first sailing into one of the fjords on Oriana and hearing a low drone sound, which was odd, but quite musical.  Eventually we realised it was the sound of the ship itself echoing off the sides of the fjords.  We have listened for it each time we have been since, but somehow it is not there - or our hearing has deteriorated!  Most likely, the ship now follows a slightly different path within the fjord.  But keep an ear open - who knows?

You remind me of an occasion sailing out of Geiranger Fjord when a classical duo were on the top deck and sang 'Time to Say Goodbye'.  Their soaring voices in such an awe-inspiring setting was truly unforgettable and very, very emotional.  Alongside some of the most magical views like from the top of the cable car at Andalsnes or Tromso make Norway a fabulous destination .  Many wonderful memories. 

(But I will listen out for the drone when we're next there! 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

You remind me of an occasion sailing out of Geiranger Fjord when a classical duo were on the top deck and sang 'Time to Say Goodbye'.  Their soaring voices in such an awe-inspiring setting was truly unforgettable and very, very emotional. 

That really does sound magical.  It makes me want to book a fjord cruise right now!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

That really does sound magical.  It makes me want to book a fjord cruise right now!

The hotel/restaurant alongside the berth in Olden normally serenades you with appropriate sailaway music, including Time to say Goodbye  as you depart.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The hotel/restaurant alongside the berth in Olden normally serenades you with appropriate sailaway music, including Time to say Goodbye  as you depart.

Along with the person on the hillside waving flags 🙂 It’s our favourite port for sailaway 🙂 We take small flags now to wave back 🙂 

• Like 5