Recent Costa Maya Port Cancelations?

Laurenran

I’m on the MSC Seashore. We were supposed to be at costa Maya today, but it has been canceled due to weather. We’re just hovering near the coast just south of Cozumel and will dock in Cozumel tonight. 

I am not sure if it is due to the increased number of ships scheduled to dock there, or the orientation of the piers, but there seem to be an increased number of ships cancelled since the pier was extended.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cgladin said:

I’m on the MSC Seashore. We were supposed to be at costa Maya today, but it has been canceled due to weather. We’re just hovering near the coast just south of Cozumel and will dock in Cozumel tonight. 

Harmony has docked. I think it depends which pier some times.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cgladin said:

Sorry to hear, thanks for the update.

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure if it is due to the increased number of ships scheduled to dock there, or the orientation of the piers, but there seem to be an increased number of ships cancelled since the pier was extended.

Interesting, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

If the waves are high one ship may dock. The second ship docking would wash patrons from the pier as they try to dock with the waves crashing between the ship and the dock. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 10:07 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

Costa Maya is regularly cancelled due to high winds, tho I cannot confirm what you read this week. 

I'm a newbie to cruising, so can you tell me - if the ship is unable to dock and you have an excursion purchased through the cruise line, will you be refunded? I am going there on the NCL Jade on 3/19/24.  Any advice is appreciated! 🙂

6 hours ago, Kiss The Cook said:

I'm a newbie to cruising, so can you tell me - if the ship is unable to dock and you have an excursion purchased through the cruise line, will you be refunded? I am going there on the NCL Jade on 3/19/24.  Any advice is appreciated! 🙂

Yes.

NCL Joy turned back on Wednesday, February 28. A CArnival passenger posted some video from her vantage point  and the waves were crashing over the NCL berth and dock.

We have missed 2 of our last 4 attempts. Both failures to dock were NCL. 

4 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

NCL Joy turned back on Wednesday, February 28. A CArnival passenger posted some video from her vantage point  and the waves were crashing over the NCL berth and dock.

We have missed 2 of our last 4 attempts. Both failures to dock were NCL. 

It isn’t just Norwegian but it would be interesting to have data on whether one particular pier is affected more than others.

• 3 weeks later...

RC Harmony did not port on 3/14 due to weather. Carnival and Quest(?) turned back as well. Our captain said violent waves crashing the docks are unsafe.

Our group of 20 were bummed not to be able to tryout Malecon21 😭

The captain found a lovely sunny spot in the middle of ocean for everyone to enjoy.

Malecon21 was quick in refunding my deposit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, JMPJMP88 said:

RC Harmony did not port on 3/14 due to weather. Carnival and Quest(?) turned back as well. Our captain said violent waves crashing the docks are unsafe.

Our group of 20 were bummed not to be able to tryout Malecon21 😭

The captain found a lovely sunny spot in the middle of ocean for everyone to enjoy.

Malecon21 was quick in refunding my deposit.

Sorry you didn’t get to try-out  and update us on Malecon21. It used to be our go-to place.

Edited by c-leg5

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Sorry you didn’t get to try-out  and update us on Malecon21. It used to be our go-to place.

I know! We started following  them on Insta and everyone  was so excited. 

36 minutes ago, JMPJMP88 said:

I know! We started following  them on Insta and everyone  was so excited. 

I see you also went to Sanchos in Cozumel. It would have been a very different experience but it is good to have days at a different pace.