How are pre-paid gratuties impacted by increased gratuities

Hobar

8 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

I thought it was pretty good for my upcoming cruise - gratuities for us would be US$448 onboard which is AU$681 at the banks rate. HAL charged me AU$582 to pre-pay them. Did it used to be much better? 

The exchange rate for us is just terrible in general, so I was happy to save $100!

For my cruise next year, it's more expensive to pre pay using Hollands rate than if I used the ING card onboard to settle on the day. ING rate is the same as the currency exchange rate of the day. I'll check later in the year to see if HAL rate improves.  If the HAL website allowed me to select US currency instead of their conversion rate then it would cost me less than what HAL currently wants me to pay. 

I would have expected that pre paying these amounts would mean that it was all fully paid. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

I prepaid my daily gratuity in 2023 prior to the fee increase in 2023. When I was on the cruise, I looked to see if I was charged the old rate or the new rate. I was not charged the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/27/2024 at 4:12 PM, Skorpora said:

I prepaid my daily gratuity in 2023 prior to the fee increase in 2023. When I was on the cruise, I looked to see if I was charged the old rate or the new rate. I was not charged the difference. 

Interesting!  I have two booked cruises upcoming (both post-February).  Both have a prepayment option which describes grats @  only $16 per day - but the Cdn$ per diem is CAD$1.75 higher for one booking.  Suggests one is charging $16, the other $17.  I've emailed Ship Services (per live chat staffer) for an explanation.  Will advise.  🧐

On 1/25/2024 at 7:17 PM, Hobar said:

Pre-paid gratuties for Mach 2024 cruise.  Will I be charged more $ for the crew gratuity increase coming Feb 1, or am I locked in at current rate (that will be former rate at time of cruise)?  The “fine print” says prices subject to change, so wondering if that means the prices I already paid are subjec to change, or that the change is for those who have not pre-paid by Feb 1.  

We were locked in the last time. Had two cruises on the books and we were not charged any extra on board.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:51 PM, kazu said:

As it does no mine.  But the cost has gone up since your and I paid.   One of two things happens.  Crew appreciation doesn’t show (as some have reported) and the price you paid is honoured or the OBC for the pre-paid crew appreciation shows on your account.  If that happens, you’ll see the credit for what you paid and the minus for the new crew appreciation.

Since you are sailing so soon, I hope you come back and tell us how it was handled on your ship.

Got on Nieuw Amsterdam today. I prepaid. They are still charging me $16/day. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pilot said:

Got on Nieuw Amsterdam today. I prepaid. They are still charging me $16/day. 

We’ll see what happens when we get on board 😉

It’s all good no matter what.

10 hours ago, dfish said:

I prepaid my gratuities and they are still charging me $16 per day on the Koningsdam.

Thanks Debbie.  They should only be charging you $16 per day since your cruise started before February 1st. At least I believe that was the date when the increase took effect - cruises starting on or after Feb. 1st

• Like 1