How Much More for a Solo????

I know this has been discussed before but I just priced a cruise as a solo and the difference compared to two people is criminal. Anthem of the Seas departing Cape Liberty on Feb 25, 2024 for 7 nights. The price for an interior cabin is listed at $769 per person double occupancy ($1538 for two).  When I change it to one person the price goes to $3045. These prices are before port tax and fees. I've cruised solo plenty of times and the highest supplement I ever paid was 100%. In a lot of cases it has been less than 100%. I can't imagine how they can justify charging nearly four times the per person price with double occupancy. I know I can book for two and have a no show but why should I have to do that when I am already willing to pay a 100% supplement. Royal is clearly turning their back on solo cruisers.

(By the way there were no single cabins available)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GWM907 said:

I know this has been discussed before but I just priced a cruise as a solo and the difference compared to two people is criminal. Anthem of the Seas departing Cape Liberty on Feb 25, 2024 for 7 nights. The price for an interior cabin is listed at $769 per person double occupancy ($1538 for two).  When I change it to one person the price goes to $3045. These prices are before port tax and fees. I've cruised solo plenty of times and the highest supplement I ever paid was 100%. In a lot of cases it has been less than 100%. I can't imagine how they can justify charging nearly four times the per person price with double occupancy. I know I can book for two and have a no show but why should I have to do that when I am already willing to pay a 100% supplement. Royal is clearly turning their back on solo cruisers.

As mentioned above you can book as 2 people and have one be a no show but realize you will not get the double points.

33 minutes ago, GWM907 said:

The reason for the difference is that the price you got for the double is a guarantee stateroom while they do not let solo's book these so it if for a category where you choose your room

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The reason for the difference is that the price you got for the double is a guarantee stateroom while they do not let solo's book these so it if for a category where you choose your room

Are you saying it is not available for this sailing? I thought you could book as a solo sometimes but you needed to call and couldn’t do it online or have they stopped it altogether?

Wasn’t this the problem @firefly333 had when she booked a solo guarantee expecting a regular inside and double points but then got allocated a studio and only single points?

Edited by c-leg5

Just now, c-leg5 said:

Are you saying it is not available for this sailing? I though you could book as a solo sometimes but you needed to call and couldn’t do it online or have they stopped it altogether?

Wasn’t this the problem @firefly333 had when she booked a solo guarantee expecting a regular inside and double points but then got allocated a studio and only single points?

Guarantee staterooms unless listed on the website are generally not available for solo travellors.

When they are offered you stand a high chance of getting assigned a studio room and not getting double points

• Thanks 1

Often when I've been offered a solo GTY without calling it's a ship that I know has studio cabins.  I assume that I'll get a studio cabin assigned and single points.  If a non-GTY is close in price on these ships I pay the difference to know I'll get double points.  

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Book a ghost and you’re good to go. One of my friends is my go to ghost booking. One day I hope she joins me on a cruise.

I want the double pts which as mentioned you dont get if you put in a fake 2nd pax.

Last year I pushed to 340 pts. Find a ta, group, plus balcony discount plus 25% off as a solo. No other line offers me 25% off perk as a solo.

Though no other line I've booked wouldnt let me book a regular gty cabin. Pisses me off. Why would rcl not allow gty for solo?  It's never made sense to me. Lucky I found a good ta or I'd be gone from rcl by now. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I want the double pts which as mentioned you dont get if you put in a fake 2nd pax.

Last year I pushed to 340 pts. Find a ta, group, plus balcony discount plus 25% off as a solo. No other line offers me 25% off perk as a solo.

Though no other line I've booked wouldnt let me book a regular gty cabin. Pisses me off. Why would rcl not allow gty for solo?  It's never made sense to me. Lucky I found a good ta or I'd be gone from rcl by now. 

Celebrity and MSC are known for doing the exact same thing. The question is are those points worth $1500. NCL is really positioning itself as the destination for solos not just by the pricing but also with the solo events hosted. Solo cruising is a booming market right now but not all lines are embracing it.

3 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Celebrity and MSC are known for doing the exact same thing. The question is are those points worth $1500. NCL is really positioning itself as the destination for solos not just by the pricing but also with the solo events hosted. Solo cruising is a booming market right now but not all lines are embracing it.

Actually I disagree. I cannot get 25% almost all categories on those cabins or 2 pts a day. Rcl has solo cabins. I'm not looking for a small solo cabin or solo events. I'm looking for the best solo price.

MSC does have better prices for all but I dont like Italian food so havent booked and ncl is certainly way more expensive than I can book with DP340 on rcl. Rcl DP340 beats ncl by a mile. And I can get the discount on the cabin of my choice. Not a teensy solo cabin. I've priced ncl. Not a deal for me. Rcl was less.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Crystal cruises will allow you to book designated solo cabins with a lower solo supplement. Everything included from gratuities to internet. It is more expensive than Royal but it is a luxury experience.

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Book a ghost and you’re good to go. One of my friends is my go to ghost booking. One day I hope she joins me on a cruise.

How do you do that? You do the whole checking process online and everything and then you just arrive solo at the ship and say she couldn’t make it? Hasn’t Royal realized that you do this often?

On 1/28/2024 at 1:59 PM, firefly333 said:

Actually I disagree. I cannot get 25% almost all categories on those cabins or 2 pts a day. Rcl has solo cabins. I'm not looking for a small solo cabin or solo events. I'm looking for the best solo price.

MSC does have better prices for all but I dont like Italian food so havent booked and ncl is certainly way more expensive than I can book with DP340 on rcl. Rcl DP340 beats ncl by a mile. And I can get the discount on the cabin of my choice. Not a teensy solo cabin. I've priced ncl. Not a deal for me. Rcl was less.

All cabin categories now have solo options on NCL not just tiny cabins, I’ve never even looked at a studio (aka the small cabins on NCL). My upcoming RCI trip is 95% supplement, it’s a lot more expensive than any NCL cruise I’m booking plus the drink package and wifi isnt included. I’m only cruising RCI because it was someone else’s choice.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:23 PM, travelberlin said:

How do you do that? You do the whole checking process online and everything and then you just arrive solo at the ship and say she couldn’t make it? Hasn’t Royal realized that you do this often?

I haven’t taken my RCI cruise yet but this is something that people do. This cruise I have a ghost on the reservation and can change the name up to 3 months out if I want to bring someone for free. This isn’t a guaranteed cabin however and was suggested to do this by the TA so that I don’t have to reprice if I decide to bring someone. This cruise was booked 2 years ahead and was single at the time.

14 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I haven’t taken my RCI cruise yet but this is something that people do. This cruise I have a ghost on the reservation and can change the name up to 3 months out if I want to bring someone for free. This isn’t a guaranteed cabin however and was suggested to do this by the TA so that I don’t have to reprice if I decide to bring someone. This cruise was booked 2 years ahead and was single at the time.

Oddly when my TA checked before I hit the 340 pts my TA checked and said there was no cost other than fees to add a 2nd pax, if at 200% supplement. Might have changed. 

Rcl caught on now and if you book 2 and dont cancel the 2nd you only get 1 loyalty pt. I'm pushing for pinnacle so not something I'd do. I want the extra solo pt.

• Like 1