Virgin Removes 24/25 Oz Cruises?

As a couple have mentioned, I suspect even more lines will change their plans as a result of the conflict in the Middle East so they can plan next year with some certainty. 

Add to that, is the EU (from memory) requirement for reduced emissions from cruise lines, which means they need to lower the speeds and distance the older ships travel. Our region generally requires high overnight speeds or multiple days transits as opposed to being in Europe or the Caribbean. 

I had a hold booked on a cruise on Resilient Lady from Singapore.  I didn't continue with the booking before payment was due, due to instinct. 

I joined Virgin membership on board.  Will I now be eligible for a refund seeing I will no longer be able to cruise on Virgin Voyages?

Virgin Voyages lost a lot of good will by keeping Australians waiting for news of their plans on future cruising in Australian/NZ waters.

• Like 1

For those having given-up their 24/25 Oz cruises, and wearing any out of pocket expenses, ain't it nice to know that the replacement cruises from San Juan are being given away already.

From VV socials early this morning:

Imagine hearing this on your flight:

*ding-dong*

"Good afternoon Delta flight DL1946 with service from Atlanta to San Juan. In addition to today's in-flight entertainment, you're also being gifted a cruise by Virgin Voyages."

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

For those having given-up their 24/25 Oz cruises, and wearing any out of pocket expenses, ain't it nice to know that the replacement cruises from San Juan are being given away already.

From VV socials early this morning:

Imagine hearing this on your flight:

*ding-dong*

"Good afternoon Delta flight DL1946 with service from Atlanta to San Juan. In addition to today's in-flight entertainment, you're also being gifted a cruise by Virgin Voyages."

Sir Richard’s usual trick - how many Aussies have missed out on their free cruises when he did the same performance here?

He will have to give away more than a free cruise to get half of the annoyed people who have lost money back on his ships - this little black duck will never bite no matter how much they throw free at me. 

1 hour ago, wintrev said:

Sir Richard’s usual trick - how many Aussies have missed out on their free cruises when he did the same performance here?

He will have to give away more than a free cruise to get half of the annoyed people who have lost money back on his ships - this little black duck will never bite no matter how much they throw free at me. 

The gifted cruises were only for local cruises this season, and as far as I recall involved one plane load plus a bunch of school teachers. Those that have taken up the offer would have / will be able to complete their cruise.

Posted (edited)

My DD used to work for VV gyms and she noticed via social media that quite a few of her former work colleagues were on the same cruise that I was on.  Pure speculation but it’s possible that Virgin gym staff were also offered cruise discounts/freebies.

Edited by aussielozzie18

5 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My DD used to work for VV gyms and she noticed via social media that quite a few of her former work colleagues were on the same cruise that I was on.  Pure speculation but it’s possible that Virgin gym staff were also offered cruise discounts/freebies.

That wouldn't surprise me. I think the way Virgin promoted itself probably put a lot of people off, thinking yhey would just be party cruises. We wouldn't have bothered going on one if it hadn't been for the Velocity Points deal. I'm really glad we took that deal, it was a fun cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That wouldn't surprise me. I think the way Virgin promoted itself probably put a lot of people off, thinking yhey would just be party cruises. We wouldn't have bothered going on one if it hadn't been for the Velocity Points deal. I'm really glad we took that deal, it was a fun cruise.

Yes, I thought it was going to be a party hard ship for the beautiful 20/30 yo Instagram crowd but instead there were plenty of cruisers in the 50+ age range enjoying a new modern cruise ship with no kids on board and really good food & service.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I ended up booking that cruise with Princess as an alternative to the cancelled Virgin cruise. I booked with Princess, but transferred the booking to a local TA this morning. I told her that I had originally had a Virgin cruise booked. I could just tell by her face that she had a hard week due to those cancellations. 

Edited by CountessCookie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CountessCookie said:

I ended up booking that cruise with Princess as an alternative to the cancelled Virgin cruise. I booked with Princess, but transferred the booking to a local TA this morning. I told her that I had originally had a Virgin cruise booked. I could just tell by her face that she had a hard week due to those cancellations. 

Just when you thought it would get easier, there is this Princess APP .... 🤣

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Just when you thought it would get easier, there is this Princess APP .... 🤣

I have read a few things about that, but at least this cruise should go ahead. And I get a balcony for the same price as the solo insider I had with Virgin. Hopefully the APP doesn't give me too many dramas.

• Like 1