Virgin Removes 24/25 Oz Cruises?

I suspect it's not just a Red Sea problem.  I suspect the real issue is that Brilliant Lady was supposed to be launched on the 7th of September and how now been pushed out till 2025.  So, that has put strain on the rest of the fleet to cover those bookings.  I think that a pull back from NZ/Aus will allow Resilient Lady to be utilised in the Caribbean until Brilliant Lady can plug the gap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I suspect it's not just a Red Sea problem.  I suspect the real issue is that Brilliant Lady was supposed to be launched on the 7th of September and how now been pushed out till 2025.  So, that has put strain on the rest of the fleet to cover those bookings.  I think that a pull back from NZ/Aus will allow Resilient Lady to be utilised in the Caribbean until Brilliant Lady can plug the gap.

I agree. The Red Sea problem is purely about a heavily booked and profitable cruise being replaced with a loss making cruise past South Africa. Yet any future changes will be announced under the guise of the Houthis made us do it, as well as supply line + staff shortages.

They are a 3 ship cruise line that can't afford to finish the fit-out of their 4th ship, with over $US 1 billion of new financing in the past 18 months. They need to place their 3 ships where they can generate the most cash in order to unblock the supply line. After review, that could still be in Australia/New Zealand.

They also need to fill their infinity room with smoke in time for the next PR release.

mirrors.webp.6c49efeb7ee2186cf70a3f83710bcf57.webp

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, Chiliburn said:

That would be hard trip punching into the prevailing weather .

Any idea if it’s coming back next season or whatever?

I had a hold on the cruise from Singapore to Fremantle which I let go, pending the current uncertainty.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:09 PM, jcruizer said:

We are cruising VV to NZ on the 5th March. Only cruising this one, as it was a great price... Not normally our kind of ship but food reviews are good and it will be interesting to try this one...

We're on Resilient Lady at the moment and so far the food is amazing!  Especially in the Test Kitchen.

• Like 1

We are cruising VV to NZ on the 5th March. Only cruising this one, as it was a great price... Not normally our kind of ship but food reviews are good and it will be interesting to try this one...

We're on Resilient Lady at the moment and so far the food is amazing!  Especially in the Test Kitchen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm pleased you are finding the food amazing.  I enjoyed all the food at all the restaurants.  I agree the Test Kitchen and Wake (brunch) were extra special.  

• Like 2

Same - only 20 more days (you can spot me in red on Scarlett Night or in Pjs on the first night  🙂

VV has to take into consideration that this season was quite quick, short cruises, limited ports (mainly Tasmania) - and ask is that what consumers are after ??  It was very much a trial !!  

I've love to do the Athens to Australia trip - and all the ports in btw (maybe 2025) - but I wouldn't be planning / booking anything that far out  (I got a good deal - with a $U900 bar tab) 

1 hour ago, shireboi said:

Same - only 20 more days (you can spot me in red on Scarlett Night or in Pjs on the first night  🙂

VV has to take into consideration that this season was quite quick, short cruises, limited ports (mainly Tasmania) - and ask is that what consumers are after ??  It was very much a trial !!  

I've love to do the Athens to Australia trip - and all the ports in btw (maybe 2025) - but I wouldn't be planning / booking anything that far out  (I got a good deal - with a $U900 bar tab) 

Yes we got the same deal... we have red tops but no pj's... 🫢  We are spending a week in NZ.. A Big trip later this year...

It's a fun ship. It took us a day or so to find our way around it but we're enjoying it. However if you're booked on short cruise make sure you book your dining choices as early as you can. We've ended up having to dine a lot earlier than we normally do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's a fun ship. It took us a day or so to find our way around it but we're enjoying it. However if you're booked on short cruise make sure you book your dining choices as early as you can. We've ended up having to dine a lot earlier than we normally do.

It was a fun ship.  I was still finding my way around after ten days.  Looking at the shops, I discovered a hidden Italian restaurant,  I was able to make a booking for the last night.  It was well into my cruise, that I discovered the delicious ice cream in cones, and the pizza place, where I was able to enjoy a Hawaiian pizza, with capers and olives.  

6 hours ago, claudio said:

The vic govt gave them free docking 

Wow. 

That sounds like one more thing to add to the list of why Cunard & Princess decided to drop Melbourne as a home port.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It was a fun ship.  I was still finding my way around after ten days.  Looking at the shops, I discovered a hidden Italian restaurant,  I was able to make a booking for the last night.  It was well into my cruise, that I discovered the delicious ice cream in cones, and the pizza place, where I was able to enjoy a Hawaiian pizza, with capers and olives.  

I'm sure we missed a few places but we did see the Italian restaurant. Unfortunately we couldn't get a booking there but did score one at the Test Kitchen instead.

We went to Gunbae, the Korean restaurant, last night and had an excellent meal. We were at a share table seating six. One of the staff does all the cooking on the table barbecue. We started with a selection of nibbles - kimchi and other pickled veges. Our cook convinced us to all have the everything option, which started with a number of small dishes - glass noodles, pancake, spicy chicken, seafood corn dog, then lots of different stuff cooked on the barbecue - mushrooms of various types, seafood, beef and pork belly. We finished with refreshing matcha and mango ice cream.

• Like 1

I'm sure we missed a few places but we did see the Italian restaurant. Unfortunately we couldn't get a booking there but did score one at the Test Kitchen instead.

We went to Gunbae, the Korean restaurant, last night and had an excellent meal. We were at a share table seating six. One of the staff does all the cooking on the table barbecue. We started with a selection of nibbles - kimchi and other pickled veges. Our cook convinced us to all have the everything option, which started with a number of small dishes - glass noodles, pancake, spicy chicken, seafood corn dog, then lots of different stuff cooked on the barbecue - mushrooms of various types, seafood, beef and pork belly. We finished with refreshing matcha and mango ice cream.

I enjoyed the food at Gunbae, the Korean restaurant.  They played a drinking game, but you didn't have to drink alcohol.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I enjoyed the food at Gunbae, the Korean restaurant.  They played a drinking game, but you didn't have to drink alcohol.  

Yeah, but I don't trust Rolf and soju! 🤣🤣🤣 It's a long story ...

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you clap?

Well it all started with dinner at a Korean restaurant in Singapore, hosted by one of Rolf's Korean colleagues. I was there too. Rolf was sitting next to his colleague. Need I say more? 🤣🤣🤣

Well it all started with dinner at a Korean restaurant in Singapore, hosted by one of Rolf's Korean colleagues. I was there too. Rolf was sitting next to his colleague. Need I say more? 🤣🤣🤣

No.  The clapping was part of the game during dinner.  

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Traditionally in Korea and Japan you do not top up your own glasses. Politeness dictates that the person next to you ensures that your glass is never empty. So ...

Lucky there was no drinking game during your Korean dinner.  There was a noisy table near us that was having lots of fun loudly participating.  

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Lucky there was no drinking game during your Korean dinner.  There was a noisy table near us that was having lots of fun loudly participating.  

There were a few tables near us playing the drinking games. Yes, they were fairly loud.

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

24/25 Australian itineraries have now been on hold for 3 weeks.

Gonski for sure.

That is what I believe too. I've even chosen a Jan 2025 Princess Cruise I'll be booking instead. Just waiting for the final confirmation from Virgin.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:47 AM, arxcards said:

24/25 Australian itineraries have now been on hold for 3 weeks.

Gonski for sure.

In light of the fact that Brilliant Lady is now not expected to sail until at least May 2025 (originally forecast late 2023) perhaps Virgin might use Resilient Lady to do Brilliant's cancelled expected itineraries.  Depending how much interest they had had in Brilliant it would make sense.

• Like 1