CocoCay question

51 minutes ago, cdn.cruiser said:

If the ocean is very cold, is the only option the heated pool which costs extra?

not interested in excursions. 

I wouldn't say the pools are heated. One time we went in November and the ocean was so cold. The pool was just as cold.

13 minutes ago, 1interpreter said:

I wouldn't say the pools are heated. One time we went in November and the ocean was so cold. The pool was just as cold.

The new pool at Hideaway Beach is supposed to be heated.

4 hours ago, cdn.cruiser said:

If the ocean is very cold, is the only option the heated pool which costs extra?

not interested in excursions. 

The pool at Hideaway Beach was heated when we visited. Our friends have told us that the Coco Beach Club pool is also supposed to be heated. However when we went there a year ago in December, that pool was not heated. Just overrun with kids so it was a less than pleasant experience for the extra money. In the future if we want to hang with a quiet space, we may just stay on the ship. 😉

Hi,

I will be at CocoCay in April. It is our first time back there since 2014 so it has changed dramatically.

I can tell you this much, I ain't paying anything extra to swim in a pool full of people when there is a free one on the ship that may be empty.

I will, however, be going for a dip in the sea no matter how cold it is as its the only chance on my 15 night TA to do so as the sea is too rough in Miami and too cold when we get back to Europe.

Top tip, if you have a drinks package or are Diamond and above, then a glass of Jack Daniels before going in the sea should work. It always works for me when the ship has a cold pool that no-one wants to go in. A quick whiskey and in you go. I discovered this trick from reading about how the baker on the Titanic stayed alive for nearly 2 hours in the freezing Atlantic.

Mick.

How cold is cold for you all? I've lived in Florida 15 years now, so I've gotten pretty used to hot water at the beach vs in Massachusetts where the Boston ocean doesn't get "warm" till the end of August, and never as warm as any Florida beach.... I've been to Coco Cay six times total in the months of September, October, November, December, ....and in February, and it's never been 'too cold' for me to swim/snorkel in the ocean or use the big party pool. 🤷‍♂️ (and I'll be there in less than 2 week, with plans to hop in the ocean, yet again)

Edited by CanobieFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

I will be at CocoCay in April. It is our first time back there since 2014 so it has changed dramatically.

I can tell you this much, I ain't paying anything extra to swim in a pool full of people when there is a free one on the ship that may be empty.

I will, however, be going for a dip in the sea no matter how cold it is as its the only chance on my 15 night TA to do so as the sea is too rough in Miami and too cold when we get back to Europe.

Top tip, if you have a drinks package or are Diamond and above, then a glass of Jack Daniels before going in the sea should work. It always works for me when the ship has a cold pool that no-one wants to go in. A quick whiskey and in you go. I discovered this trick from reading about how the baker on the Titanic stayed alive for nearly 2 hours in the freezing Atlantic.

Mick.

Mick, sounds like they should be stocking the life boats with Jack Daniels in case we ever go down. Guests with drink packages to the right others to the left. 😉

41 minutes ago, CanobieFan said:

How cold is cold for you all?

As someone else who moved from the NE (Philly burbs) to Orlando a long time ago, surely you know the local definition of "cold", lol. Anything below 70 and the locals put on jackets. 😁 They're likely shivering this week while I'm enjoying the cool weather.

I don't spend much time in the water at CocoCay unless it's to cool off when we sail in the summer but I thought the Oasis pool was fine in late October. It's obviously warmer in the summer but that's to be expected.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 1

Assuming it's sunny, the Oasis pool has been warmer than the ocean to us.  

Then again, compared to the dead of winter here, I would swim in the ocean at Coco Cay no matter what.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1interpreter said:

We were on Coco Cay the first week of December, and -- to my taste, which is subjective -- the water was cool-but-manageable upon entry and became comfortable after a couple minutes.  

8 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

That's the first thing about Hideaway Beach that's interested me, as I don't want a loud, party atmosphere.  If they offered a quiet heated pool area, I might go for it during winter months.  

5 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

The pool at Hideaway Beach was heated when we visited. Our friends have told us that the Coco Beach Club pool is also supposed to be heated. However when we went there a year ago in December, that pool was not heated. Just overrun with kids so it was a less than pleasant experience for the extra money. In the future if we want to hang with a quiet space, we may just stay on the ship. 😉

As expensive as The Beach Club is (I mean, it's often hundreds of dollars per person), I'm surprised it was overrun with kids.  

4 hours ago, Mick B said:

That's a reasonable idea, though -- if we're talking temperature -- they're both likely to be equally cold or warm.  

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Assuming it's sunny, the Oasis pool has been warmer than the ocean to us.  

It makes sense that a pool would be warmer than the ocean.  Even if we're talking about a very large pool, the sun has MUCH less water to warm.

9 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

And it costs extra. We have it booked for July, and it was $59/pp when we booked it.

5 hours ago, Mick B said:

I ain't paying anything extra to swim in a pool full of people when there is a free one on the ship that may be empty.

The large lagoon pool is free.

30 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It makes sense that a pool would be warmer than the ocean.  Even if we're talking about a very large pool, the sun has MUCH less water to warm.

That actually depends on the weather.  The pools can cool down rapidly if the temps dive for a few nights into low 60s I believe it hit 50s, while the ocean doesn't drop so rapidly.

Was in Cococay in early December, it was mid 70s sunny, but windy.  Waterpark was cool particularly in the morning, but sun made it feel more comfortable by noon. Was back there in mid January and this time it was windy and cloudy most of the day, temps may have hit low 70s, no interest in going in the water

I will probably stick with travelling there in the spring and fall months.  Winter is a little too cold to really enjoy it, and summer is too hot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

I will probably stick with travelling there in the spring and fall months.  Winter is a little too cold to really enjoy it, and summer is too hot.

You're totally right, but I always look for bargains that first week of December.  At best, we cruised for $99 each that week!  For that price, I can put up with the water not being quite perfect at CCC, though -- after that trip -- I purchased a long-sleeved rash guard, and I can't wait to try it out in the chilly months.  

11 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Our friends have told us that the Coco Beach Club pool is also supposed to be heated. However when we went there a year ago in December, that pool was not heated. Just overrun with kids so it was a less than pleasant experience for the extra money. 

Interesting--I was at Beach Club last February and again in late November 2023.  I think I saw a total of 3 kids.  I purposely do not  cruise during school vacation times. When were you there? 

Teddie

16 hours ago, teddie said:

Interesting--I was at Beach Club last February and again in late November 2023.  I think I saw a total of 3 kids.  I purposely do not  cruise during school vacation times. When were you there? 

The week before Christmas 2022