Cunard in Alaska...How Formal?

DCThunder

I have wanted to try Cunard and got what I think is a good deal on a Queen Elizabeth Alaska cruise for late June 2024.  I've been reading threads on these boards about how guests on Cunard tend to be more dressy than on either HAL or Princess.  Does this extend to the Alaska cruises as well? I want to make sure I pack the right type of clothes for the formal/gala evening.

The attached photo shows the information always given in the daily programme for a Gala Night.

While there are sometimes reports of a few folk not adhering to the suggested dress code most people do. You won't feel out of place if you follow that guidance. I don't think it's possible to overdress on a Cunard ship.

2023-12-05.png.d449409fe3e99feddc2b1daa617dce66.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, D&N said:

The attached photo shows the information always given in the daily programme for a Gala Night.

While there are sometimes reports of a few folk not adhering to the suggested dress code most people do. You won't feel out of place if you follow that guidance. I don't think it's possible to overdress on a Cunard ship.

2023-12-05.png.d449409fe3e99feddc2b1daa617dce66.png

Thanks for sharing this information.  My question was more is Alaska less formal than a TA on QM2 or a Mediterranean cruise given that Alaska is the "Last Frontier" and all that.

It was not less formal for us. In ports and during the day, we dressed less formally, but that’s true on every Cunard trip. Evenings, though? If we didn’t want to dress we’d have gone on a different line. It’s such a pleasant thing to do when we have so much of the year that won’t allow it. (Growing much of what we eat makes most of the year pretty grubby for us!)

5 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Thanks for sharing this information.  My question was more is Alaska less formal than a TA on QM2 or a Mediterranean cruise given that Alaska is the "Last Frontier" and all that.

I believe it has that reputation. We were last there on Princess in July 1998. The other guy (from a southern state I think) on our table wore a dark suit with tie on formal nights. I wore black tux on one and ivory the other. I didn't feel the slightest bit out of place and about 90% of men were dressed in a similar manner.

Being Cunard there are likely to be many regulars on QE. You'll not find many of them treating it less formally because it's Alaska.

TA's are probably more formal. We've only been on a 14 night TA roundtrip, and only plan to do that in future. But if we ever do revisit Alaska we'd probably try and use Cunard and like our next TA, I'd be wearing a tux every night of the cruise.

• Like 1

I have taken three Alaska cruises on the QE and a lot more crossings on the QM2. The dress code has been "dumbed down" every couple of years so it is difficult to make a comparison.  We have not taken a crossing the same year as an Alaska cruise.

Regarding the Alaska cruises the published dress code has been observed. On the few formal/gala nights the majority of gents wear dinner jackets just as on the Atlantic.  I did notice last year there were fewer men wearing a jacket and tie on the other nights. The women were better dressed than the men, with many wearing what could be described as formal wear every night.  

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

I want to make sure I pack the right type of clothes for the formal/gala evening.

Can I ask what you would like to wear on gala evenings? I think there are two scheduled on that voyage.

1 minute ago, D&N said:

Can I ask what you would like to wear on gala evenings? I think there are two scheduled on that voyage.

I don't own a tux and I think the last time I wore a dark suit was to a funeral when I lived outside DC.  I've lived in a fairly laid back beach community in North Carolina for the last six years.  I'm not averse to getting dressed up, but a blue blazer and a nice pair of khaki pants is about all that I've needed on other cruises.  It sounds like said blazer and khakis are about what I'd need to wear on a non-formal evening, even in Alaska. 

1 minute ago, DCThunder said:

I don't own a tux and I think the last time I wore a dark suit was to a funeral when I lived outside DC.  I've lived in a fairly laid back beach community in North Carolina for the last six years.  I'm not averse to getting dressed up, but a blue blazer and a nice pair of khaki pants is about all that I've needed on other cruises.  It sounds like said blazer and khakis are about what I'd need to wear on a non-formal evening, even in Alaska. 

That would be fine for a "Smart Attire" evening on Cunard. The requirement is trousers and a smart shirt with collar. Some folk suggest that a polo shirt meets requirements, but intention in guidance is not really meant to include knitted collars.

For Gala Nights you should need dark trousers and a tie with your blazer (I'm assuming the blazer is dark). Or you can dress as you would any other night and restrict yourself to the venues listed in the guidance.

We do sometimes read comments about the dress code not being enforced, and it's possible you might not be refused entry to other venues but it would be a gamble.

You might also feel out of place being in the minority that don't dress up.

@DCThunder I’ll be on the same voyage as you and we plan to dress up to the code like we’ve done on TA’s and Med trips. Many people go on Cunard to dress up anyway. I agree fully with @D&N that you don’t want to feel underdressed or out of place by skirting the minimums. Cunard does create a nice environment after 6pm. Don’t worry about snobby people because I’ve really never experienced those people often and ignore them anyway.
There is an Ice White theme and Masquerade night during our cruise   Don’t go crazy getting a mask but try to dress up. 
Hopefully you’ll like Cunard so much that you’ll buy a tux now for future trips. Also, I’ve read so much of the decline of the dress code on other lines that pax are coming to Cunard to not feel out of place when they want to dress up. 
I look forward to meeting you onboard and keep track of the Roll Call. 

• Like 4

Just now, NE John said:

@DCThunder I’ll be on the same voyage as you and we plan to dress up to the code like we’ve done on TA’s and Med trips. Many people go on Cunard to dress up anyway. I agree fully with @D&N that you don’t want to feel underdressed or out of place by skirting the minimums. Cunard does create a nice environment after 6pm. Don’t worry about snobby people because I’ve really never experienced those people often and ignore them anyway.
There is an Ice White theme and Masquerade night during our cruise   Don’t go crazy getting a mask but try to dress up. 
Hopefully you’ll like Cunard so much that you’ll buy a tux now for future trips. Also, I’ve read so much of the decline of the dress code on other lines that pax are coming to Cunard to not feel out of place when they want to dress up. 
I look forward to meeting you onboard and keep track of the Roll Call. 

Thanks @NE John. I appreciate your comments. 

I've been looking at "pre-owned" tuxes and have seen several that would fit the bill without breaking the bank. I also just tried on the jacket of the only dark suit I have and looks like I'd need to go shopping either way as I've bulked up a bit through the shoulders and chest.  I've got a 30 day cruise to the Amazon River upcoming, so I'll be revisiting the tux shopping in mid-March when I get home from that.

I likewise look forward to meeting you aboard QE.

• Like 3

For those of us who sail for itinerary, Cunard's dress code policy can be a little frustrating (I have three small kids, so on our last cruise we needed life jackets, Christmas presents and a formal suit for my husband and a dress for me.  My car was completely packed and I couldn't imagine what we would have done if we weren't within driving distance of the port).  

But the truth is that there are lots of repeat Cunard customers who really love the line and the formality of it.  People on this forum have said they don't care about repetitive itineraries because they don't need to get off the ship since they love being on it so much.   So I would imagine this will be the absolute last line to give up the dress code since it makes so many of their core customers really happy (on our sailings there were lots of people in tuxes and formal gowns - and on my cruise to Norway there were even some ladies in evening gowns in the buffet).  But Cunard's food is excellent, and they usually have long port days so they are a good line to consider for Alaska.  But you will need to be at least minimally compliant with the dress code if you choose to sail with Cunard.  

Edited by kitkat343

Cunard is all about the ''experience'' which is in the main, a Cruise Line that still offers their old-fashioned English Traditions (loved by most Cunard customers) as well as sailing to the amazing destinations you will visit -

so folk even on an Alaska or a Med fly/cruise will be 99% dressed in formal wear (for men a Black tie/tuxedo) for the Gala nights (as they are now called).

but, a dark suit and tie is totally fine if you do not want to invest, or perhaps borrow a Tux.

The Gala nights are THE reason so many choose Cunard.
It's not snobby but it's just great fun, and chance to embrace a period in time that is getting long forgotten. 

The HAL 'of old' was once, very much more formal like Cunard, but since IMO the Noughties, they have sought a far more relaxed and casual affair on their ships, and whilst I like HAL very much indeed, the dress code on their ships, especially sailing out of the USA is way more casual than Cunard, both at day and night times.
Not a bad thing at all, especially in warmer climes, but as long as you know in advance as so to pack accordingly for your Cunard voyage. 

On the non Gala evenings (for men) a smart sports jacket and slacks (not chinos or jeans) with a collared shirt, no tie needed (but not a Polo shirt) is the norm for Smart Casual.

I'm sure you will have a super time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dress, is a minefield on this board and there are so many strong opinions and whilst I think it a great shame the percentage of black tie wearers on Gala nights has gone down, we must be very careful in giving a true picture of Cunard dress to those who have asked rather than our own preferences and interpretations.

Although the majority of chaps in the main restaurants will be in Black Tie [probably around eighty percent] there will be  dark suits, or indeed, a dark jacket and dark trousers, being worn and no one will be made to feel underdressed or out of place in  non Black Tie.

On non gala evenings, although my husband always wears a jacket [no tie these days]  a jacket is not required and I would say on our cruises in '23, it was half and half, wearers and not, around the ship after dinner but a higher percentage of jackets in QG restaurant beforehand. A dress shirt and chinos will be most acceptable and posed photo of male Cunard 'passengers' in chinos and jacket was on the web site up until recently.

Gala themes can be totally ignored and 'ordinary' gala wear, worn which for us, is Black Tie for him and  formal wear for me.

• Thanks 1

I've been trying to think of the gents that I saw wearing dark suits during our four official gala nights on a return Transatlantic. As I remember it somewhere in excess of 95% were in Black Tie.

That may be not be fully representative.  We only visited Kings Court Buffet to check in at our muster station and once or twice to steal a pastry to take to The Chart Room for tea/coffee. We walked through Golden Lyon quickly on our first afternoon and were never back, and after a couple of visits to The Carinthia decided the atmosphere wasn't for us.

That of course meant that we wouldn't see many folk who chose not to dress for gala nights.

Our experience is purely based on The Chart Room, Britannia Club port side, Queens Room and G32 until about 11pm. I suspect most dressed in smart attire probably frequented G32 later than that.

• Like 1

I believe Cunard voyages when the ship is mainly the only destination (TA) the Dress Code is even more amplified.  
What I also read on other boards (Celebrity esp) is the complete breakdown of enforcement of dress core “guidance” after 6pm. Even though Cunard has relaxed dress minimums over the last several years, Cunard could be benefit from pax wanting a nicer dress code environment that are frustrated by what’s happening on other lines. 

54 minutes ago, D&N said:

I've been trying to think of the gents that I saw wearing dark suits during our four official gala nights on a return Transatlantic. As I remember it somewhere in excess of 95% were in Black Tie.

That may be not be fully representative.  We only visited Kings Court Buffet to check in at our muster station and once or twice to steal a pastry to take to The Chart Room for tea/coffee. We walked through Golden Lyon quickly on our first afternoon and were never back, and after a couple of visits to The Carinthia decided the atmosphere wasn't for us.

That of course meant that we wouldn't see many folk who chose not to dress for gala nights.

Our experience is purely based on The Chart Room, Britannia Club port side, Queens Room and G32 until about 11pm. I suspect most dressed in smart attire probably frequented G32 later than that.

Your experience seems to be purely Transatlantic which doesn't altogether translate into 'cruises'.

From what I read, my take is the [chaps]  formal evening dress on QM2 'TAs' is more adhered to than her sisters and although adhered to by most on QM2, it doesn't mean to say that is completely representative of the fleet in general.

Whilst my husband is thankfully still in the majority in his Gala Black Tie, the percentage of actual dinner suits is going down ship wide on QV.

Sadly.

Edited by Victoria2
added 'chaps' to differentiate from the ladies
  • Like 1

@DCThunder

We love to banter around about dress codes on these Cunard boards so don’t take too much to heart. As mentioned, the best advice is to dress so you don’t feel uncomfortable or out of place. It’s a nice ship and people dress to match the decor. Don’t worry about going all out though; there’s a happy medium. 
I can’t wait to hear about your Amazon trip too. 

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

@DCThunder

We love to banter around about dress codes on these Cunard boards so don’t take too much to heart. As mentioned, the best advice is to dress so you don’t feel uncomfortable or out of place. It’s a nice ship and people dress to match the decor. Don’t worry about going all out though; there’s a happy medium. 
I can’t wait to hear about your Amazon trip too. 

There are many topics that are a constant across all of the Cruise Critic message boards.  These include: indoor smoking, chair hogs, tipping/gratuities, and many others.  But one absolute constant topic is proper dress for that particular line. 

Cunard, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, you name the line, there will be long discussions about what's proper and improper to wear on "their" line.  All of this is a long way of saying that I have found the posts on this topic very enlightening and will help guide my packing for Alaska.  I asked the question and got honest answers.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

We're also going to be on the June 21 Alaska cruise and I'm wearing a suit because I don't own a tuxedo.  On Alaska cruises are there usually more tuxedo/dinner jackets or suits? And how does that compare to the number who don't dress up at all? 

Based on my experiences, especially on the three Alaska cruises we have taken on the QE, no gent will be out of place in a suit or even a jacket and non-matching trousers.  When we were in Britannia I would say 75% wore tuxedos/dinner jackets and most of the rest wore suits and some in sport coats/blazers. In the Grills the percentage of men in formal wear was close to 100%. 

Most of the Alaska cruises are 10 days and there are a mere two gala nights.

Although jackets and ties are no longer required on non-gala nights, they have not been banned. A sizeable minority of men have done so. That includes me, but I assure you no-one will look down their nose at what others wear. Last year we were in Queens Grill for the first time on the QE and it seemed every man wore a jacket on the non-gala nights. 

• Like 1

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask this question here.  I've booked a standard balcony cabin.  Am I "allowed" to walk through the Queens Grill or other haunts of those booked in the fancy parts of the ship?  Or are there barred doors, a la Titanic to keep the hoi polloi at bay?😉

10 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask this question here.  I've booked a standard balcony cabin.  Am I "allowed" to walk through the Queens Grill or other haunts of those booked in the fancy parts of the ship?  Or are there barred doors, a la Titanic to keep the hoi polloi at bay?😉

If talking QV/QE, no locked doors as the Grills decks 11 and 12 are quite out of the way so no issue walking through them although quite a few folk walk up to have a look round and there have been no reports of pot shots aimed at any 'hoi polloi'! 🙂

Edited by Victoria2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

If talking QV/QE, no locked doors as the Grills decks 11 and 12 are quite out of the way so no issue walking through them although quite a few folk walk up to have a look round. 🙂

Thanks.