Recommend cruise first time adult couple?

JTor

Hi Disney pros!

appreciate your advice for our first Disney cruise. We are 2 adults late 50s , 38 past cruises and lately on luxury lines. We love the Disney parks and want to experience the magic on a cruise but a bit concerned about the number of kids and general crowds as we’ve been spoiled on luxury lines. Can’t imagine getting on and off again in 3 days so wondering about back to back or a repositioning cruise? Itinerary not important although prefer warmer weather and a visit to one of the private islands would be nice. Price sensitive for this booking so not concierge. What ship and/or sailing do you suggest?

4 hours ago, JTor said:

Hi Disney pros!

appreciate your advice for our first Disney cruise. We are 2 adults late 50s , 38 past cruises and lately on luxury lines. We love the Disney parks and want to experience the magic on a cruise but a bit concerned about the number of kids and general crowds as we’ve been spoiled on luxury lines. Can’t imagine getting on and off again in 3 days so wondering about back to back or a repositioning cruise? Itinerary not important although prefer warmer weather and a visit to one of the private islands would be nice. Price sensitive for this booking so not concierge. What ship and/or sailing do you suggest?

Generally, the longer cruises will have fewer children.  That said, there will still be more kids than you'll find on other lines.  Repositioning with the lowest number, typically.  B2B cruises won't cut the kid load as each cruise will have lots of kids (but not the same ones).

Any cruise out of FL will go to either Castaway Cay or Lighthouse Point (private islands).  

I prefer the classic ships (Magic & Wonder), but have cruised on both Fantasy and Dream.  Haven't done any of the newer ships.

My favorite longer cruises on DCL were Southern Caribbean on the Fantasy, and Panama Canal, as well as Med/Westbound Transatlantic both on the Magic.  

Edited by Shmoo here

If you are used to longer cruises, then I agree that a 3-night cruise would not be ideal. Disney Cruise  offers 7 night cruises from Port Canaveral in the Fantasy this year and on the new Treasure next year. There are also 4- to 7-night cruises from Texas and Florida on other ships, as well as 7-night cruises through Alaska and Europe. You could do back-to-back shorter cruises, but you'd have the same menus and mostly the same events on each cruise.

Yes, Disney cruises will have a lot of kids. However, they also have a lot of kids programming, so other than at deck parties, theater shows, and meals, you may not see kids that often. Deck parties, theater shows, and heading into dinner are when you will see large crowds in general. 

As Shmoo said, longer cruises tend to have fewer kids and more adult-oriented activities. I have never done a repositioning cruise, but if you have the time, that would be a good choice since the fares are (relatively) low compared to other Disney cruises.

5 hours ago, JTor said:

Thank you both!! What’s the usual timeframe for opening advance bookings? I looked for a repositioning in 2026 but not listed yet 

Generally itineraties are released about 18 months out.  

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that repositioning cruises tend to be the best priced, per night. They usually have a repositioning cruise in May that goes from FL to Barcelona. Summer 2025 cruises should be coming out real soon, sometime in March, usually. But if you're looking at 2026 you'll need to wait another year to book. The one that comes back from Europe I believe is in October. They have longer cruises too, on the Wonder around the same times, that go from Vancouver to Hawaii, then Hawaii to Australia (and back). There's been a lot of speculation on what routes will change, with the addition of the Wish and Treasure. 

Something to keep in mind is that the newer the ship the more adult areas you'll find. The Wonder/Magic only have one specialty restaurant. The Dream/Fantasy have two. 

In general, the closer to release date, the better deals you'll find. Although, sometimes, you'll find good deals for last minute sailings. DCL just opened a second private island, you can find cruises that will visit both, but these are more popular. 

Yes you'll find more kids, but they're there to experience the magic just like you are. I travel with mine, and I find that their magic and wonder adds to my experience. You'll walk past and hear a girl cry out, "mom, I see Cinderella!!" and there's just a certain joy there. But like I said they do have adults only areas too. 

3 hours ago, carohs said:

I agree that repositioning cruises tend to be the best priced, per night. They usually have a repositioning cruise in May that goes from FL to Barcelona. Summer 2025 cruises should be coming out real soon, sometime in March, usually. But if you're looking at 2026 you'll need to wait another year to book. The one that comes back from Europe I believe is in October. They have longer cruises too, on the Wonder around the same times, that go from Vancouver to Hawaii, then Hawaii to Australia (and back). There's been a lot of speculation on what routes will change, with the addition of the Wish and Treasure. 

The Westbound transatlantic this year leaves Southampton on October 20th

Something to keep in mind is that the newer the ship the more adult areas you'll find. The Wonder/Magic only have one specialty restaurant. The Dream/Fantasy have two. 

I don't know how true that is. The adult areas on the Wish didn't compare to those on the previous ships. That was one of the chief complaints from experienced cruisers. 

Yes you'll find more kids, but they're there to experience the magic just like you are. I travel with mine, and I find that their magic and wonder adds to my experience. You'll walk past and hear a girl cry out, "mom, I see Cinderella!!" and there's just a certain joy there. But like I said they do have adults only areas too.