Jupiter - Doorway Widths for Wheelchairs

HofstraJet

Sailing on Jupiter this summer. I see the website indicates that wheelchairs cannot exceed 22", which is very narrow.

Does anyone know if that 22" statement is meant for river cruises or ocean cruises as well?

I can't imagine an ocean ship having narrow doorways around the ship for passengers that a normal (26"-32") wheelchair wouldn't fit through.

We are booked into an accessible cabin and the doorway looks plenty wide.

Thanks!

It is stated in the general FAQ section on the website which covers all Viking cruises.  'Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure.'

20 minutes ago, Strangford said:

It is stated in the general FAQ section on the website which covers all Viking cruises.  'Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure.'

Yes, thanks. I read that as stated in my OP.

22" is not a realistic width for an ocean ship, hence my question.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Maybe speak to Viking about the issue? Just a thought.

Thanks - that was my first step but they couldn't provide any details on the ship and just re-read what was on the website. 

7 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Thanks - that was my first step but they couldn't provide any details on the ship and just re-read what was on the website. 

If you spoke to the standard service team, try emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com - that is the higher level support team, who are significantly better informed and can usually provide an answer. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Sailing on Jupiter this summer. I see the website indicates that wheelchairs cannot exceed 22", which is very narrow.

Does anyone know if that 22" statement is meant for river cruises or ocean cruises as well?

I can't imagine an ocean ship having narrow doorways around the ship for passengers that a normal (26"-32") wheelchair wouldn't fit through.

Thanks!

IMG_2377.jpeg

12 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Thanks!

IMG_2378.jpeg

Yes, I saw that but it doesn’t make sense which is why I’m asking. Looks like someone cut and pasted the river information to the ocean side.

I can’t imagine an ocean cruise ship having 22” doorways in public spaces. It just doesn’t make sense and I’m asking if anyone can confirm what the passageways are like on the ocean ships. 

It could be the restrictions have nothing to do with the doorways and everything to do with the gangways/tender access available at different ports. Once onboard you are probably fine. Getting on board may be the issue.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

2 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Yes, I saw that but it doesn’t make sense which is why I’m asking. Looks like someone cut and pasted the river information to the ocean side.

I can’t imagine an ocean cruise ship having 22” doorways in public spaces. It just doesn’t make sense and I’m asking if anyone can confirm what the passageways are like on the ocean ships. 

I suspect a wheelchair any wider than 22” will make passage down corridors for others more difficult coming in the opposite direction.  It’s probably more about not having bottlenecks here.

9 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

I don't think anyone here on CC is going to know if someone at Viking made an error cutting and pasting information.  Viking reps would give the authoritative answer.  Up to you what to do if you don't like the answer.  My money is that the posted rules are correct.

In addition, I'm assuming the width requirement isn't based upon the width of the doors.  I'd assume the limiting factor would be hallways and other common areas - especially in an emergency situation.  The hallways are not one-way.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

20 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

If you spoke to the standard service team, try emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com - that is the higher level support team, who are significantly better informed and can usually provide an answer. 🍺🥌

I agree with CurlerRob.   Contact the folks at TellUs.  They will probably call you to answer your questions.  if you don't like the answers you get, ask to speak to a supervisor and so on until you find some who knows what they are talking about. 

If you work with a travel agent, get them involved in finding the right person for you to talk to.

I have the same question. My specific concern is how wide is the bathroom door on the Sea?  

We don’t need to see the faq section as it doesn’t answer my and the poster’s question. I’ll try the tellus email. 

Most of the time I’ll have my prosthetic leg on, but need the wheelchair for late night bathroom visits, or to go out in the ship after a long excursion day. Our questions are valid and I imagine other passengers will be helpful. 

Last thought for hofstrajet. Perhaps Viking is referring to seat width which is a common reference for wheelchairs, far more common than overall width. 

2 hours ago, klextra said:

Our questions are valid and I imagine other passengers will be helpful. 

The overall content of this tread is almost comical:

I need a wheelchair on the cruise.  I see the requirements per Vikings website, but I'm still confused.  Maybe there was a cut/paste error by someone at Viking.  Let's ask the forum what the real rules are.

Personally, in such a situation where I needed a wheelchair, I wouldn't rely on an internet forum for anything authoritative on a topic that's so vital to my cruise experience.  There's been multiple posts to contact Viking which is the best advice one can give in this situation.  

I know when I went on a cruise while I needed mobility aides due to a recent surgery to repair a broken femur, I relied on direct representations/communications from the cruise line - not folks on the forum.  Personally, I made sure any aides I used were within cruise line requirements regardless of hallway or doorway widths as the cruise line rules are what matter.

• Like 4

22in is the maximum width to fit past the housekeeping trolleys when they are in the corridors. 

I suspect that wider also wouldn't fit past furnature in some of the bedrooms, and there'll likely be the usual having room to turn towards doorway problems.

The restaurants have relatively narrow gaps between some of the tables. 

There's also restrictions from 3rd party transport providers and excursion sites.

22in is a transport chair, if you can get out and fold your 'normal' chair so it is narrower, then walk for a bit you will be OK

Edited by KBs mum

OP you do really want to get a firm answer on this one, my take is that the VO ships are not really the way to go for people in a chair, these ships are small.  Any tendering is going to be a problem, I witnessed that first hand.  I do think that the bathroom will be a problem with non accessible rooms for sure.  Anyway, I think there are better cruise ships out there, these are small ships. 

Edited by rmalbers

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

OP you do really want to get a firm answer on this one, my take is that the VO ships are not really the way to go for people in a chair, these ships are small.  Any tendering is going to be a problem, I witnessed that first hand.  I do think that the bathroom will be a problem with non accessible rooms for sure.  Anyway, I think there are better cruise ships out there, these are small ships. 

It's not a problem if the person can walk a short distance, can cope with the stairs on the ramp, and has a folding chair and helper. 

Videos and photos are the best guide. The person can then judge for themselves. Doorway width is often the least of the problems, unless a full time wheelchair user

9 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It's not a problem if the person can walk a short distance, can cope with the stairs on the ramp, and has a folding chair and helper. 

Videos and photos are the best guide. The person can then judge for themselves. Doorway width is often the least of the problems, unless a full time wheelchair user

Yes, I think that is the general VO criteria for chair use on VO.  I'm not sure how a few people on the last cruise I was on got 'approved' based on that.