Snorkel Report?

cc cruiser

Is there some way to get beach conditions on the day we are in port?   We went to Sapphire Beach one time and the water was a little to rough for good snorkeling,   We heard others had great snorkeling on other beaches the same day.   We would like to try Secret Harbor this time.   Would the taxi driver know about conditions?  Or is their a website I can check the day we arrive? 

The taxi drivers probably don't know, and there isn't a site that reports on conditions at the individual beaches. Some beaches have webcams so you might be able to see conditions from a Webcam. Secret Harbor is in a protected Cove and is usually calmer than Sapphire on rough days.

I've snorkelled Secret Harbor before. Great snorkeling all around the cove.

I had no plans snorkeling Secret Harbor I looked out and EVERYBODY was snorkeling all around everywhere.

15 minutes later I was out in the middle of Secret Harbor having a time.

It was great, water was clear very calm perfect for a great day underwater and that's what I did. I'm not a really snorkel kind of person this was something different. If you can snorkel Secret Harbor I can't imagine the water conditions being bad enough to where you couldn't enjoy yourself and see everything. 

There's a dive shop at the end of the beach to rent your equipment or bring your own snorkel bag like I do. 

It's nice out there if you snorkel I used to all the time, the water is perfect. 

Your going to have a blast. 😎🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟😎

Thank you so much!  Secret Cove it is!  

We are traveling with 4 non snorkels.  (First time cruisers, 60ish) They may do their own thing that day.  But if they want to hang out at Secret Cove,  are there facilities there?  Restaurant? Bathrooms?  Is it a nice beach just to hang out? 

Yes, it's a lovely beach for hanging out. Very nice beach restaurant. If they want to explore, they can walk off property and explore a bit. Let me check Google maps for the route.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:43 AM, cc cruiser said:

Thank you so much!  Secret Cove it is!  

We are traveling with 4 non snorkels.  (First time cruisers, 60ish) They may do their own thing that day.  But if they want to hang out at Secret Cove,  are there facilities there?  Restaurant? Bathrooms?  Is it a nice beach just to hang out? 

Yes, yes, yes and yes😎🌟😎🌟.

Yes there's facilities, Yup the restaurant The Sunset Grille is a great beach bar and restaurant. Yes there's bathrooms and yes it's a nice beach to hangout on. You can swim out to the platform in the center of the harbor and catch rays or snorkel all around it. 

I guess because the harbor is surrounded by land it's what makes the water so nice. Very calm very clear, and great for swimming and snorkeling.🤜🤛🌟🌟🌟🌟😎

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Yes, yes, yes and yes😎🌟😎🌟.

Yes there's facilities, Yup the restaurant The Sunset Grille is a great beach bar and restaurant. Yes there's bathrooms and yes it's a nice beach to hangout on. You can swim out to the platform in the center of the harbor and catch rays or snorkel all around it. 

I guess because the harbor is surrounded by land it's what makes the water so nice. Very calm very clear, and great for swimming and snorkeling.🤜🤛🌟🌟🌟🌟😎

Do you know if we can rent chairs if we are not staying at the hotel there?

We love Secret Harbor for snorkeling, calm water and crystal clear water. 

HERE and HERE are a few of my reviews with tons of pictures of the area (although one of them we also went scuba diving and it was a disaster because it lasted maybe 15 minutes and that's not normal, but you will see the same thing snorkeling since it was up and down the wall).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

We love Secret Harbor for snorkeling, calm water and crystal clear water. 

HERE and HERE are a few of my reviews with tons of pictures of the area (although one of them we also went scuba diving and it was a disaster because it lasted maybe 15 minutes and that's not normal, but you will see the same thing snorkeling since it was up and down the wall).

What time of the year were these pics taken? I grew up in the Caribbean and ocean conditions tend to vary quite a bit between summer and winter.

p.s. - Awesome pics!

Edited by vinotinto
added p.s.

9 hours ago, vinotinto said:

What time of the year were these pics taken? I grew up in the Caribbean and ocean conditions tend to vary quite a bit between summer and winter.

p.s. - Awesome pics!

One was in July and the other was April. I've always seen it reported that since this is a cove type area that it tends to be a little calmer...than like Sapphire or Coki. 

You grew up in the Caribbean? I wanna be you! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were at Secret Harbour week before last, it's still as nice as we remembered. Try to get there as early as possible to get chairs and umbrella - $30 for 2 chairs, 1 brella. You can also just rent loungers if you want to be under the one tree area. Snorkeling is best to the left side and out a little ways - dead coral ☹️ but saw fish. Sunser Grille is still good, lunch for two around $45, I think.

Staff in the lobby will call a taxi for you when you'r ready to go back.20240209_102629.thumb.jpg.049ae68d2ab0a311511b93c1cae270d7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2